Mechatronics Engineering is a multidisciplinary field in the branch of science and engineering. It requires you to study areas such as Mechanical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, Telecommunications, System Engineering and Control Engineering. Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field of engineering that helps businesses to reduce labour challenges, add value and maintain competitiveness in the industry through simpler, smarter ideas to develop smart electromechanical devices and integrated systems present in our daily lives. It is essential for growth in automation and manufacturing. As roles for mechatronics engineers are increasing, this blog guides on how you can become a mechatronics engineer.
This Blog Includes:
- Who is a Mechatronics Engineer?
- Qualifications Required to become a Mechatronics Engineer
- Eligibility Requirement
- Skills Required to become Mechatronics Engineer
- Top Mechatronics Engineering Universities in the World
- Top Universities that Offer Mechatronics Engineering Courses in India
- Scope and Salary
- Job Profiles
Who is a Mechatronics Engineer?
Mechatronics engineers use their expertise and knowledge in electrical and mechanical fields to develop and maintain smart technologies. They integrate electrical, mechanical, and software components in order to come up with products, systems, and solutions. Responsibilities of a mechatronics engineer include designing and testing prototypes, making recommendations for improving existing mechanical systems, testing mechanical and electronic systems, developing solutions to industrial problems by using mechanical/electronic/ computer technology and conducting research and analysis and making changes according to that.
Qualifications Required to become a Mechatronics Engineer
To become a mechatronics engineer, the first step is to get the right qualifications.
- It is mandatory to pass Class 12 or equivalent with core subjects- Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics from a recognised board.
- Bachelor’s Degree: You can pursue a B.Tech/BSc Engineering./B.E. degree in electrical or mechanical or mechatronics engineering.
- Masters Degree: After completing a bachelors in mechatronics engineering or an equivalent engineering branch, you pursue a masters in mechatronics (M.Tech/MSc./M.E.)
- Work Experience: It is helpful to gain as much work experience as you can through interning in fields such as robotics, automation and mechanical, electrical and technology related areas. This helps in securing a job as it helps to broaden and test your skills, which is what an employer is looking for.
- Background in physics mathematics and chemistry.
- For Bachelor’s degree, minimum percentage specified by the university along with engineering entrance examination (like JEE Main/JEE Advanced) if required by the university. It is a 3-4 year program.
- For Masters Degree, a bachelor’s degree in relevant engineering subjects with minimum GPA specified by the university. Also, entrance exams (like GATE) if required by the university. It is a 1-2 year postgraduate program.
Skills Required to become Mechatronics Engineer
- Basic knowledge of Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and their application.
- Engineering and Technology: Knowledge about mechanical, technical and computer engineering concepts and applying them to design and produce products and solutions.
- Designing Equipment or Technology: Design new prototypes and improving current products through knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Knowledge about computer-aided design (CAD) to design 3D models and study their mechanisms.
- Programming: Basic knowledge about programming languages like C, C++ or Python
- Mechanical: Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Undertaking production and processing of prototypes, design and products.
- Matlab: It’s a program designed for engineers to analyse and design systems and products to solve problems.
- Solving Complex Problems
- Thinking Critically
Top Mechatronics Engineering Universities in the World
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
- Stanford University, USA
- University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU)
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- University of California, Berkeley (UCB), USA
- Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
- Tsinghua University, China(Mainland)
- Harvard University, USA
- EPFL, Switzerland
- Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech), USA
- Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
Also Read: Engineering Branches
Top Universities that Offer Mechatronics Engineering Courses in India
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Karnataka
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bihar
- Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT), Bihar
- Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Tamil Nadu
- Indian Institute Of Engineering Science And Technology, West Bengal
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Karnataka
- Thapar Institute Of Engineering And Technology, Punjab
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Telangana
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi
- Sathyabama Institute Of Science And Technology, Tamil Nadu
Scope and Salary
The average annual salary of a mechatronics engineer can range from Rs. 4-12 lakhs and in the United States the average salary is about $70,000 (Rs. 52,66,905). They can work in the field of telecommunications, robotics, AI, biotechnology, cybersecurity, computer science, nanotechnology, CAD, automation, aircraft engineering and consumer products and packaging.
Mechatronics engineers can pursue the following jobs:
- Automotive Engineer
- Control System Engineer
- Data Logging Engineer
- Instrumentation Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Systems Engineer
- Service Engineer
- Mechatronics technician
- Robotics Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Communication Systems Engineer
- Logistics Engineer
- Instrumentation Engineer
- Aerospace Engineer
- Mechanical Design Engineer
- Automation Engineer
- Biotech Equipment Engineer
- Software and IT Engineer
- Programming Engineer
You will study mechanical and electrical systems, computers, telecommunications, robotics, systems engineering, control engineering, etc. It is a multidisciplinary field of engineering.
They are responsible for designing and testing prototypes, improving existing mechanical systems and applying mechanical, technical and computer knowledge to solve industrial problems.
You have to pursue a bachelor’s degree in engineering either specialising in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or Mechatronics engineering, i.e, a B.Tech, BSc or BE degree in engineering.
You can pursue job as a Robotics Engineer, Data Scientist, Automobile Engineer, Communication Systems Engineer, Logistics Engineer, Instrumentation Engineer, Aerospace Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer, Automation Engineer, Control Systems Designer, Biotech Equipment Engineer, Software and IT Engineer, Programming Engineer, etc.
This was all about how to become a mechatronics engineer. If you want to kickstart your career as a mechatronics engineer, call our Leverage Edu experts today on 1800 572 000 and get started!