The MBA in Information Technology or MBA IT degree program is a unique blend of in-depth learning of various aspects of management along with its application, issues, and uses in technology-intensive fields of data and information management, web analytics, Information Technology infrastructure, system design, project management, international networking and a host of other disciplines. Consequently, the comprehensive MBA IT syllabus ensures a fast-track way of entering senior level managerial roles in multinational enterprises. Further, with this degree, one gains a broad overview of aspects related to the IT industry, its problems, and solutions as well as the threats and opportunities in the sector. This blog is an attempt to elaborate on the MBA IT syllabus in detail.
This Blog Includes:
|Course Name||Masters in Business Administration (MBA)|
|Specialization Name||Information and Technology (IT)|
|Duration||1.5 – 2 Years|
|Minimum Eligibility (Abroad)||-UG degree
|Minimum Eligibility (India)||-UG degree
-CAT/ MAT/XAT/ NMAT
|Top Job Profiles||-Information and Technology Manager
-Chief Technology Officer
-Chief Information Officer
|Average Salary||INR 20- 26,00,000|
Major components of the MBA IT course are core subjects which deal with basic business and management principles; concentrations/specializations which focus on a particular aspect, for instance, data analytics, and lastly, a long set of electives from a wide range of disciplines and fields including strategic management, business law and emerging issues in IT. The following paragraphs will throw more light on what these components entail.
Related Article: Bachelor of Information Technology
MBA IT syllabus: Core Subjects
Here are a few core/required subjects which are offered as part of the MBA IT syllabus.
- Essentials of Business: In this subject of the MBA IT syllabus, one is introduced to the concepts, types of businesses as well as its constituents namely, accounting, finance, human resources, marketing, etc. Furthermore, students also get to know the importance and ways of skill development.
- Accounting: Dealing with elements of sales, income, profit/loss, revenue, fixed costs, variable and operating costs, etc, accounting helps businesses to make decisions related to budgeting, investment and advertising, amongst others. You can also read our blog on Cost and management accounting to get an overview of the same.
- Financial Management: The subject of financial management forms an essential component of the MBA IT syllabus. It is used to study concepts of financial planning, optimum capital structure, fixed and working capital requirements, cash flow management, etc.
- Marketing Management: One of the pillars of management, this subject entails details on consumer outreach, advertising, and communication by means of both offline and online media. Students are expected to solve real-world marketing problems through the knowledge they attain in this subject.
- More Subjects: Business Economics, Organisational Behavior, Business Mathematics & Statistics, Business Development, Business Decision Making, etc.
MBA IT Syllabus: Specialisations/Concentrations
How to choose an area of specialization may depend on the objective and interests of the candidate. Here are a few options you can explore:
- Management Information Systems [MIS]: This is a central computerized database that carries information related to day-to-day operations at every hierarchy level of the enterprise. An MIS helps in giving valuable feedback, monitoring work levels, decisions related to human resources, finance, strategy, etc.
- Database Management Technology: In this concentration of the MBA IT syllabus, one digs into database systems, what role it plays and, its design, technology and applications. Further, through projects and assignments, concepts of database architecture, relational data models, data warehousing and basic to intermediate usage of available database systems like SQL, Oracle, etc are taught.
- Strategic Management of Technology & Innovation: Amongst the most important topics, this discusses the measure of strategy to solve typical issues of IT business like the induction of emerging technologies in business and product development. One also learns the techniques of identification of new opportunities and products.
- Global Information Technology: IT is no longer restricted to borders and therefore, issues of globalization, ethical and cultural complications, data management on large scale are taught in this subject. Moreover, students are also taught about domestic and international regulations.
Related Article: Information Science Engineering
MBA IT Syllabus: Semester Wise
|Semester I||Financial & Management Accounting
Meaning and Nature of Management
Quantitative Techniques for Decision Making
Nature, Scope and Significance of Managerial Economics
Managerial Skills Development
Management of Technology Innovation and Change
Database Management and Administration
Individual Determinants of OB
Management Process & Organizational Behavior
|Semester II||Human Resource Management
Business System Analysis and Design
Production and Operations Management
Business and Legal Environment
|Semester III||Entrepreneurship Development
Corporate Social Responsibility, Human Values and Ethics
|Semester IV||Information System Management
Software Project Management
MBA IT syllabus: Electives
Owing to the multidisciplinary nature of the MBA IT syllabus, the electives offered to cater to interests of a wide variety of students. The following subjects form part of electives offerings of top universities:
- IT Privacy & Security
- Business Intelligence Technologies
- Web Mining & Analytics
- Enterprise Knowledge
- Infrastructure for Information Systems
- AI in Business
- Web-based Systems Development
- Visualization Analytics
- Global Issues in IT
- IT Resource Management
- Presentation Design
MBA IT Syllabus Symbiosis University
The esteemed Symbiosis university also offers MBA in IT and the syllabus for same is tabulated below-
-Object-Oriented Analysis Design
-Basic Business Statistics for Data Analysis
-Introduction to Python
-Introduction to Relational Database Management
-IT Tools and Techniques for Business
-Web Development Framework
-Integrated Disaster Management
-ERP-Business Process Integration
-Advanced Business Process Integration
-Technology in Business
Related Article: Information Science and Engineering
This course combines Management and Technology making it a perfect choice for Engineers. Just like other MBA degrees, Finance, Accounting, Management and Business skills are taught in this course but with an inclination towards the IT sector.
The salary of an individual depends upon the university they went to pursue MBA in IT. As per the exposure provided by the B-school the salary of individuals would vary. On an average, an Indian student can get a salary ranging from 5 Lakh per Annum to 15 Lakh per Annum as a starting package.
Human Resource Management
MBA is a globally accepted master’s degree awarded to students who complete the course curriculum of 1 or 2 years as prescribed by the university. It makes individuals proficient in managing various tasks simultaneously at workplaces.
We hope this blog was able to provide a comprehensive review of the MBA IT syllabus. If you too wish to pursue this course are not sure about the right path to choose, consult the team of experts and mentors at Leverage Edu in a free 30 minutes counselling session and take a step towards building a fulfilling career.