The Masters in Business Administration (MBA) is an internationally-recognized, professional degree program that imparts an in-depth insight into the varied fields of Business and Management and equips students with the necessary industry exposure into their chosen area of study. Further, the domain of Management has now intermingled with several other disciplines which has resulted in copious integrated fields. One such specialisation is Media Management. With the digital age, the advanced technologies has impacted the media industry in an immense way. It has become a necessity for every business to build a strong online presence and for this, every industry requires professionals who can effectively handle different media platforms. The stream of Media Management is precisely concerned with this arena of strategizing the digital content for an array of media platforms. If you are planning to pursue a uniquely designed master’s degree in Business Administration, an MBA in Media Management can highlight you from the same-old MBA professionals and can provide you with a deep-embedded insight into the vast world of online media and communications. Through this blog, we will take a look at what a degree like MBA in Media Management entails, top universities you can pursue it from as well as the career opportunities it avails.
MBA in Media Management: Personal Traits
Building a strong career in the field of Media Management can be challenging. But with the right knowledge and necessary skills, you can ace in this profession. Given below are some of the traits a student must possess to pursue an MBA in Media Management degree:
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong problem-solving ability.
- Well versed with the media industry and the working environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work on an array of projects independently and with a creative approach.
- A self-starter who can meet deadlines under pressure.
- Broad-minded thinking with an awareness of different cultures.
MBA in Media Management: Eligibility
To kick-start your career in this field, you must satisfy certain eligibility criteria. Even though the minimum percentile criteria may vary from one university to another, given below are some of the common pre-requisites followed by various educational institutions to pursue an MBA in Media Management:
- The applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution or university.
- There is no specific requirement for the subjects you studied in your graduation.
- Students who are in the final year of their graduation can also apply for this course with an estimation of their expected result in their final year.
- While most of the universities require at least 2-3 years of work experience, some don’t prescribe this as a mandatory condition.
- Apart from a valid GMAT score, you also have to obtain a minimum percentile in IELTS or TOEFL.
The curriculum of an MBA in Media Management is diverse and encompasses the elements of media and business administration. It equips students with the techniques of planning, development, functioning, and brand building of various media enterprises. Here is a list of the subjects that will be covered throughout the course duration:
- Concepts and Processes of Management
- Managerial Behavior and Communications
- Information Technology
- Accounting for Managerial Posts
- Economics for Managerial Posts
- HR Management
- Marketing Management
- Production – Television and Radio
- Business and Industrial Law
- Event Management
- Sales and Advertising Management
- Reporting and Editing
- Print and Television Journalism
Roles And Responsibilities of a Media Manager
An MBA in Media Management degree opens the door to an array of career opportunities. From working as a Media Strategist and Marketing Analyst to starting a career as a TV producer or an audio-video editor, there is a multitude of job profiles you can work in. Enlisted below are some of the key responsibilities you will be required to build a strong career in this field:
- You will be required to incorporate the theoretical knowledge of management with the practical aspects of the industry.
- You will be liable to handle the different management departments like Human Resources, Finance, Operations, and Production in a media house.
- As a Media Manager, you will be put in charge of the communications team. Hence, you will plan, manage, and execute market campaigns on various social media platforms.
- Apart from writing, editing, and proof-reading the media-related content, you will also be required to conduct in-depth research of the media industry and then manage the public campaigns accordingly.
Courses Similar to MBA in Media Management
Those of you who want to pursue a career in Media Management but feel inclined towards a particular aspect of this field, then you can consider going for a specialization course. Below listed are some of the degree programs you can enrol in apart from an MBA in Media Management:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- MBA/MS in Television Management
- MSc in Digital Media
- MSc in Film Production
- MA in Multimedia Journalism
- Postgraduate Certificate in Digital and Content Marketing
- Master of Media Practice
- Master of Professional Communication
- Masters in Marketing Management
- Event Management Courses
- Luxury Brand Management
Thus, MBA in Media Management is a course that has gained popularity in a very short span period of time So, if you feel that you have the ability to tackle business administration in a media house and want to pursue a career in this field then our team of experts at Leverage Edu can guide you in completing your application process and help you gain admission in your dream university.