Agribusiness is a sector that involves farming and related activities that encompasses production, processing as well as the distribution of agricultural goods. Commercial activities pertaining to the production supply of food grains are a part of this filed. This sector is an integral part of a country’s economy. India’s agriculture sector accounts for the country’s 18% GDP and provides employment to 50% of the country’s workforce. There’s plenty of room to advance this sector. Thus, many students are moving forward to make a career in the very field. Pursuing a course in Agribusiness can give you the correct exposure for the same. Many top universities overseas offer MBA Agribusiness. If you are looking for potential MBA programs in Agriculture, here is an insightful blog that will walk you through major aspects of pursuing MBA Agribusiness.
Know all about a Top Agriculture Courses!
This Blog Includes:
What is MBA Agribusiness?
Agribusiness is a specialization within the framework of a Business Administration degree. MBA Agribusiness is a postgraduate degree program of 2 years. The program is designed to train future mid and upper-level executives in the food and agriculture industries. The course focuses on the management of the sector, problems that farmers face, part of the processors, food retailers, and branded consumer goods manufacturer’s role. The program is best suited for individuals aspiring to pursue a career in the agriculture industry as well as future consultants and investment bankers. Candidates learn several aspects involved in Agribusiness Management and Global Food Supply Chain Management. Pursuing MBA agribusiness can allow you to explore the areas of production, marketing, and trade-related to agriculture.
Also Read: MBA in Agriculture – A Complete Guide
Top MBA Agribusiness Colleges in India
Here are the top MBA Agribusiness colleges in India:
- IIM, Ahmedabad
- IIM, Lucknow
- KIIT School of Rural Management, Bhubaneswar
- MANAGE, Hyderabad
- IIFM, Bhopal
- IRMA, Anand
- Xavier School of Rural Management (XSRM), Bhubaneswar
- Parul University, Vadodara
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Tuljapur
- Indian Institute of Plantation Management Bengaluru (IIPMB)
Check Out: MSc Agriculture
MBA Agribusiness Colleges Abroad
There are several prestigious colleges offering excellent MBA Agribusiness programs across the globe. If you are looking to pursue MBA Agribusiness, we have listed some of the best institutions for you:
- GISMA Business School, Germany
- Hainan University, China
- Guizhou University College of Management, China
- Ningxia University – School of Economics and Management, China
- University of Applied Science, Canada
A few renowned universities offer MBA in Agribusiness through distance education which is conducted online. Students can receive an online degree from these universities and kickstart their career in the field. Here the major colleges offering MBA Agribusiness through distance learning:
- School of Distance Education, Pune
- National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management, Hyderabad
Check out the top universities in the world offering distance education MBA Agribusiness course:
- Rushford Business School Geneva, Switzerland
- Agribusiness Academy, Newcastle, United Kingdom
Must Read: Harvard MBA 2+2 Program
To pursue this course from top universities, the candidate must satisfy certain prerequisites. Even though the minimum eligibility criteria may vary from one university to another, here are some of the conditions you must fulfill to study MBA Agribusiness:
- The applicant must possess a bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or allied disciplines like Agricultural Engineering, Dairy Technology, Dairy Science, Food Sciences, Food Technology, Forestry, Horticulture, Veterinary Science, etc. from a recognized board of education.
- Certain universities require students to have a working background in business or relevant industry of some years.
- Some universities also require students to submit GRE or GMAT scores to get admission in the course.
MBA Agribusiness Syllabus
The core course taught in MBA Agribusiness is meant to expose students to a wide range of Business-related subjects at postgraduate level. Here is a semester-wise breakdown of MBA Agribusiness syllabus:
|Semester 1||Agro-business management
Principles of Management
Management principles and values
Financial Accounting Quantitative Techniques
Economics of Business
|Semester 2||Operation management
Computer application in business
|Semester 3||Seed production technology
Rural banking set-ups
|Semester 4||Specialization Dissertation
Let’s explore some of these MBA Agribusiness subjects in detail:
Before delving into the advanced and real-life application of agribusiness-related concepts, the course aims to develop a solid understanding of Agricultural Development where students learn about several aspects involved in agricultural production and operation. The subject focuses on sustainable development providing students with scientific and practical knowledge about farming, aquaculture, food processing, economic development, quality management, and natural resource management.
MBA Agribusiness provides students with the concepts involved in moving an agricultural product from the farm to the consumer. Students learn planning, organizing, directing, and handling agricultural products in a way to satisfy farmers, intermediaries, and consumers.
Farm Management involves the making and implementing of the decisions involved in organizing and operating a farm for maximum production and profit. It draws on Agricultural Economics for information on prices, markets, agricultural policy, etc. Students learn various steps such as collecting, reporting, relating, and forecasting data on farm and agricultural management.
Also Read: MBA Courses in Canada
MBA Agribusiness provides students with an in-depth understanding of various laws and policies related to Agriculture. The course involves different areas of laws such as Environmental Laws, Tax Law, Real Estate Law, and International Trade Treaties. Students get to learn various aspects of implementing these laws in a real-life work environment.
Scope and Salary
Agribusiness studies provide job opportunities in various sectors. People with this degree provide manual labour, logistical support, and sales for the company. They also combine farm-related activities with science and indulge in agriculture operations or crop analysis. With various types of managers that fall under the agribusiness industry, the following are the most common roles with their average salary:
- Agricultural IT Manager: INR 72,00,256 p.a.
- Accounting Manager: INR 72,40,266 p.a.
- Agricultural Operations Manager: INR 52,27,905 p.a.
- Agricultural Logistics Manager: INR 81,61,750 p.a.
- Agricultural Marketing Manager: INR 76,79,704 p.a.
- Human Resources Manager: INR 75,34,214 p.a.
Here are the major jobs sectors where Agribusiness Managers find career opportunities:
- Food Production Companies
- Agriculture Policy Analyst
- Market Analyst
- Farm Appraiser
- Quality Controller
- Bio-compost Sales Head
- Relationship Manager
Thus, we hope that this blog helped you understand the essentials of MBA Agribusiness. If you’re planning to pursue professional courses in Business and Management sector, get in touch with us at Leverage Edu, our experts can help you choose a suitable course. We will provide you with the best guidance and support.