Under unlock 4.0, the Indian government has now sanctioned that various entrance and competitive exams can be conducted as they were earlier put on hold due to the pandemic. One of such exams is MAT, i.e. Management Aptitude Test. Qualifying MAT, a national-level aptitude test, will enable you to make your way through reputed business schools in India as well as abroad for pursuing MBA and allied programs. Since more than 600 b-schools accept MAT scorecards, it is more or less a passport for your dream educational tour. Scroll through this blog to know the latest changes as well as important dates for MAT 2022, its syllabus and more!
This Blog Includes:
- What is the MAT Exam (Management Aptitude Test)?
- MAT Exam Highlights 2022
- Mode of Test for MAT Exam
- MAT Exam Dates 2022
- MAT Exam Eligibility Criteria
- MAT Exam 2022 Registration Process
- MAT Application Fees
- MAT Exam Pattern
- MAT Exam Syllabus
- MAT Exam 2022 Admit Card
- MAT Exam Preparation Tips
- MAT Exam Recommended Books
- MAT Exam Centers for PBT/ CBT Mode Tests
- Merits of Management Aptitude Test (MAT)
- MAT Sample Papers & Mock Tests
- MAT Results 2022
- MAT Exam Accepting Top Colleges & Cut-Off
- MAT Exam Toppers Interview
- MAT Exam Important Guidelines
What is the MAT Exam (Management Aptitude Test)?
The Management Aptitude Test, or MAT, is a national-level entrance exam for MBA/PGDM admissions administered by the All India Management Association (AIMA). The exam is given four times in four different phases: February, May, September, and December. Candidates who meet the requirements can apply to any of the 800+ business schools that accept MAT results.
Offline (Paper Based Test or PBT), online (Computer Based Test or CBT), and remote proctored (Internet Based Test or IBT) versions of the MAT are available. Candidates have the option of taking the exam in whichever mode they desire. The fees, exam schedule, and syllabus are the same for all three options, but the exam dates vary. The country’s COVID-19 condition affects the conduct of BT and CBT mode exams.
MAT Exam Highlights 2022
Before we go on and take a deep dive into what all is necessary for appearing in the exam, let us first understand some essential details related to MAT 2022:
|MAT Meaning||Management Aptitude Test|
|Official Conducting Body||All India Management Association|
|Applicable Courses||MBA and allied programs|
|Exam Level||National level exam|
|Mode of Submission of Application||Online|
|Mode of Exam||Online and offline|
|Application Fee (General)||Rs. 1650 (Online)|
|Exam Duration||2 hours 30 minutes|
|Mode of Counselling||Offline|
|Colleges Accepting MAT||More than 600|
|Frequency of Test||4 Times|
|Application Fee||PBT/ CBT – INR 1650PBT and CBT/ IBT and CBT/ IBT and IBT- INR 2750|
|MAT Exam Centers||PBT – 41 CBT – 31|
|MAT Helpline Emailfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Medium of Instruction||English|
Mode of Test for MAT Exam
To make the exam more accessible, it is offered in online as well as offline mode. Applicants as per their preference can select either of the options. You can take the MAT exam in the following modes:
- Remote Proctored Internet-Based Test (IBT) or
- Double Remote Proctored Internet-Based Test (IBT) or
- Paper-Based Test (PBT)
Options 1 and 2 signify an internal bifurcation under the online mode and option 3 belongs to the offline mode.
Note: Candidates can now opt to appear in both the 2 IBT tests by paying an additional fee of Rs. 1100. Also, if you opt to do so, you can send your scores to 2 extra management institutes.
MAT Exam Dates 2022
The MAT IBT exam for the February session will be held on five different occasions. On the other hand, the MAT PBT and CBT will only be held on a single date. According to the official website, the following are the exam dates for the MAT 2022 February session:
|IBT Test Date||Last Date for Registration||Issue of Admit Card|
|26 Feb 2022||23 Feb 2022||24 Feb 2022|
|27 Feb 2022||24 Feb 2022||25 Feb 2022|
|05 Mar 2022||02 Mar 2022||03 Mar 2022|
|12 Mar 2022||09 Mar 2022||10 Mar 2022|
|13 Mar 2022||10 Mar 2022||11 Mar 2022|
MAT Exam Dates 2022: February PBT Mode
|Last Date for Online Registration||Feb 28, 2022|
|Availability of Admit Card||Mar 2, 2022|
|Test Date||Mar 6, 2022,|
MAT Exam Dates 2022: February CBT Mode
|Last Date for Online Registration||Mar 7, 2022|
|Availability of Admit Card||Mar 9, 2022|
|Test Date||Mar 13, 2022|
MAT Exam Eligibility Criteria
As compared to other Management and MBA entrance exams such as GMAT, GRE, CAT exam, etc., the eligibility criteria for MAT is simpler. As stated on its official website, graduates of any field from reputed institutions can apply for the Management Aptitude Test. There is no given age limit for the candidates. Also, the applicants can apply as many times as they want to since there are no restrictions on the number of attempts.
MAT Exam 2022 Registration Process
The registration process for the February IBT, CBT, and PBT MAT exams is now available. The registration fee for one IBT, PBT, or CBT exam is Rs.1650, while the fee for two IBT exams is Rs.2750. Only online registration is available. The registration process is only available online and consists of five basic steps:
- Step-1: Create login
- Step 2: Fill the Registration Form
- Step 3: Upload Images on Registration Form
- Step 4: Make Payment of Registration Fee
- Step 5: View Registration summary
MAT Application Fees
The charge for registering online can be paid with a credit or debit card (ATM card), net banking, UPI, or Paytm Wallet. The following are the fee details: –
|For Remote Proctored Internet-Based Test (IBT)or Paper Based Test (PBT)or Computer Based Test (CBT)||Rs. 1650/.|
|For Double Remote Proctored Internet-Based Test (IBT)or PBT + IBTor CBT + IBTor PBT + CBTor CBT + CBT||Rs. 2750/-.|
MAT Exam Pattern
Mainly there will be five sections in the exam which students have to complete in 2 hours and 30 minutes. The test will be entirely objective with four options for each question. For every correct answer, candidates will get 1 mark whereas a deduction of 0.25 mark will be made for incorrect answers. Here is the MAT exam pattern and its major sections and marking scheme:
-Data Analysis and Sufficiency
-India and the Global Environment
-Intelligence and Critical Reasoning
|Total Number of Questions||200|
|Duration||2 hours 30 minutes|
MAT Exam Syllabus
The MAT syllabus is curated in a way such that it examines candidates’ capabilities of pursuing management courses. Hence, the Management Aptitude Test evaluates candidates on varied sections and is focused on testing practical knowledge and real-life scenarios. Here is an overview of the MAT syllabus and its varied sections:
- Data Analysis and Sufficiency: Various topics of data sufficiency like Venn diagram, graphical representation, etc
- Mathematical Skills: Intermediate as well as the advanced level of topics like arithmetic progression, geometry trigonometry, etc
- Intelligence and Critical Reasoning: Includes analogue based questions statement argument, etc
- Language Comprehension: It tests the candidates’ grip over the language through reading comprehension, English grammar, etc
- Indian and Global Environment: Questions on national and international general awareness
MAT Exam 2022 Admit Card
AIMA has published the MAT 2022 Admit Card for IBT, PBT, and CBT Mode on its official website. The admission card can be downloaded from the official website by following the steps outlined below:
- Visit the official website of AIMA
- Click on the link for ‘ MAT 2022 Admit Card’
- login with your registration number and password
- Candidates will get the option to download the MAT 2022 Admit Card.
- Download the Admit Card and take a printout of the same.
Candidates should double-check that all of the information on their admit card is correct. If the candidate notices any wrong information on the admission card, he or she should notify the examination authority. The candidate’s name, roll number, test date, time, and venue, as well as the form number, will be printed on the admit card.
MAT Exam Preparation Tips
Candidates should prepare for the MAT exam for at least six months. They should focus on developing their problem-solving skills with the use of past years’ MAT question papers and online practice tests, among other resources, for successful preparation. The MAT study method should be well-thought-out and in line with the MAT exam pattern and syllabus. Below are some tips to prepare for the MAT exam:
- On a daily basis, read the best books for MAT exam preparation, periodicals, newspapers, and online blogs to enhance reading abilities, comprehension skills, and to keep up with current events on a national and international level.
- To enhance speed and accuracy as well as familiarity with the test structure, practise MAT question papers, sample papers, and online mock tests.
- Analyze your preparation level on a regular basis to determine your strengths and weaknesses in each section of the MAT course.
- To do well on the MAT, focus on themes that have higher weight in each area.
- Time management is essential for attempting as many questions as possible on the MAT, therefore don’t waste time on complex or difficult problems.
MAT Exam Recommended Books
The following is a list of books that you should consider studying to prepare for the MAT exam.
|Language Comprehension||General Objective English by Arihant PublicationsWord Power Made Easy by Norman LewisEnglish Comprehension for MAT by Disha Publications|
|Intelligence & Critical Reasoning||Modern Approach for Logical Reasoning by R S AggarwalGeneral Intelligence and Critical Reasoning by Disha PublicationsLogical Reasoning for CAT by Nishit K Sinha|
|Mathematical Skills||How to Prepare for QA for CAT by Arun SharmaQuantum CAT by S K VermaQuantitative Aptitude by RS AggarwalPearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude by Dinesh Khattar|
|Data Analysis & Sufficiency||Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency by Disha PublicationsData Interpretation & Analysis and Data Sufficiency by Kiran Prakashan Publishers|
|Indian and Global Environment||General Knowledge by Lucent PublicationsGeneral Knowledge by Manohar PandeyManorama English Yearbook by Mammen Mathew|
MAT Exam Centers for PBT/ CBT Mode Tests
MAT 2022 exam centers will be located in more than 50 cities across India. Candidates who are taking the MAT in both PBT and CBT modalities must attend the exam center that has been assigned to them.
- On the admit card, you’ll find the name of the MAT exam center you’ve been assigned. When viewing their MAT Admit Card, candidates must read the exam center information attentively.
- During MAT 2022 registration, 34 test cities will be available for selection in the MAT PBT mode.
- Candidates can pick from 29 exam cities for the MAT CBT format.
Merits of Management Aptitude Test (MAT)
Following are the merits of the MAT test
- ISO/IEC 27001:2013 certified by Intertek with accreditation to UKAS and Quality Council of India
- Entrance test for recognized programs
- Time-tested over a decade
- Validated through independent studies
- Availed by lakhs of students
- Accepted by hundreds of Institutes and University Departments
- Employing the latest technology in evaluation and result processing
- Individual scorecard with candidate’s photograph
- Test Centres located all over the country
MAT Sample Papers & Mock Tests
Solving multiple practice papers and previous year’s problems is one of the finest strategies to improve your MAT score. This will assist you in gaining a better understanding of what to expect when writing the paper. This will also aid in the development of confidence.
MAT Results 2022
Candidates can check the result of MAT IBT/ PBT/ CBT and download the MAT scorecard which is released on the official website. Check the following steps to how to download the MAT 2022 result.
- Visit the official website of AIMA and click on the ‘Download/View’ tab.
- Select the particular session of the test under the drop-down menu after selecting ‘MAT Result for May Session’.
- Enter your credentials, (registration number and form number).
- Click on the submit tab to view the MAT 2022 scorecard.
- Download and take printouts of the scorecard.
MAT Exam Accepting Top Colleges & Cut-Off
The following are the top MBA colleges in India accepting MAT scores. The participating institutes announce their respective MAT cutoff. Students must check their MAT Score & Percentile corresponding to the best MBA colleges that are open for admission in 2022.
|College||Average Cut-Off Range|
|Christ University, Bangalore||80-85|
|VIT Business School, Vellore||80-85|
|New Delhi Institute of Management||80-85|
|Jaipuria Institute of Management, Noida||80-85|
|BIMTECH Greater Noida||80-85|
|AIMS School of Business (AIMS), Bangalore||75-80|
|GITAM Business School, Hyderabad||65-70|
|GITAM School of Business, Bangalore||65-70|
|Vivekanand Education VESIM Mumbai||65-70|
MAT Exam Toppers Interview
Exam preparation advice and exam day tactics from past years’ MAT toppers are available. From their expertise, you can learn how to pass the MAT.
|Ayush Saxena||“The only piece of advice I can give is to concentrate on the goal, and the most important thing is to perform well on exam day.”|
|Shubham Kanwar Rajawat||“I began studying two months before the exam. My goal was to increase my practice time for concept clarification and to increase the number of tries with accuracy.”|
|Abhishek Jha||“Aspirants to the MAT should prioritize quality over quantity when practicing. It’s all about how much they can acquire in a single study session.”|
|V Varun||“Sincerity, in my opinion, is the most vital quality for passing any exam. Aspirants should stay concentrated throughout their preparation period and never lose upon their aim.”|
|Shubham Khule||“Take as many mock tests as you can. Attempt to avoid making the same mistakes in subsequent mocks. The keys to success on these assessments are constant practice and patience.”|
|Jay Sonar||“The MAT will not be tough if you practice on harder tests. Take mock tests (NMAT, SNAP, MAH-CET) of course, as a practice is the most crucial component of speed-based exam preparation or any exam for that matter.”|
|Vidhan Agrawal||“Finding a solution to a problem is only the first step; one should not settle for anything less than the quickest solution possible.”|
|Sumit Bhattacharyya||“Mock tests prepare you for the exam.” Most significantly, it acclimates you to the time constraint. It clarifies the types of questions you’ll most likely encounter and the amount of difficulty you’ll need to adjust to.|
MAT Exam Important Guidelines
The following are some of the most crucial exam day instructions that all applicants must follow:
- MAT 2022 Hall Ticket: Candidates are required to bring their admission cards to the exam centre. It provides vital information such as the applicant’s roll number, personal information, and the exam centre assigned to them, among other things.
- Carrying Expensive accessories: Candidates shall not bring calculators, doc pens, log tables, electronic or wearables, books, revision notes, or other similar items that could be utilised to engage in unethical behaviour.
- Roll number with seat allotment: Candidates are not permitted to enter the MAT 2022 exam centre after the examination has begun. Each candidate will be assigned a seat with a roll number. The candidate should take the seat that has been assigned to him or her. If a candidate fails to appear in his or her allotted seat, his or her candidacy would be revoked.
- Misusing the test booklet: Removing any page(s) from the Test Booklet (in the case of a Paper Based Test Examination) will result in the candidate receiving severe disciplinary action. Depending on the nature of the infraction, the candidate is permanently or temporarily prevented from taking the exam.
The MAT exam is conducted 4 times a year: February, May, September, and December. You can give all the attempts.
The minimum qualification for appearing in the MAT exam is graduation in any discipline with 50% marks (45% for SC/ ST/ PwD) from any recognized University. Students in their final year in any undergraduate (i.e. BA, BSc, BCom, BTech, etc) can also appear
MAT scores are accepted throughout the year. However, the May, December, February exams are the best as the top Business schools that accept MAT scores are open with their admission process.
A Composite Score of 400 and above is considered a good MAT score. Most of the MBA colleges accepting MAT select students having MAT scores in the range of 80 percentile top 99 percentile.
Thus, we hope that through this blog about MAT, you are now familiar with all are the latest changes that will be applicable for this year. Reach out to our Leverage Edu mentors to get expert guidance on drafting a winning application for top business schools abroad. Sign up for a free session with us today