If you are interested in improving health care at the community level & make a change in society with your efforts & knowledge then you should definitely consider a master’s in public health. If you are planning to study abroad New Zealand is great as it is considered one of the safest countries in the world for international students & a Globally recognized degree with excellent teaching faculties. There are only a few universities in New Zealand offering a master’s in public health. In this blog, we will read about studying Masters in Public Health in New Zealand.
This Blog Includes:
- Why study in New Zealand?
- Masters in Public Health in New Zealand- Top Universities
- Application Process
- Documents Required
- Masters in Public Health in New Zealand Eligibility
- Specialization in Masters in Public Health in New Zealand
- Masters in Public Health in New Zealand Scholarships
- Cost of Living In New Zealand
- Job & Salary after Masters in Public Health New Zealand
Why study in New Zealand?
- New Zealand is considered safe for all international students. Students from foreign universities are provided with the best student support to help students with new changes.
- The admission requirements are easy and minimal, making the admission process easy for all students as compared to universities of other countries.
- The cost of living & other expenses at the university of new Zealand is much low & affordable for international students.
- New Zealand university has diverse students that help in increasing the network, engage with new people & learn from different cultures.
- New Zealand is a small country filled with beautiful landscapes that are accessible from all the universities.
Masters in Public Health in New Zealand- Top Universities
Here is a list of top universities in New Zealand offering master’s degrees in public health & related fields along with the information about university, course & course details for students interested in pursuing the course.
University of Auckland
The University of Auckland is a private institution that is ranked as one of the best institutions in New Zealand. The university offers a postgraduate degree in Public health. The course is best for students that want to build a career in the public health sectors like disease prevention, health promotion, epidemiology, public health management etc.
- Bachelor’s degree
- GPA – 5.0
- IELTS – 6.5
|Course Name||Master of Public Health|
|Cost (In NZ$ )||44,310|
|Cost (In INR)||2262340|
|University Rank ( Times Higher Education 2021)||#179|
University of Otago
The University of Otago is a collegiate university spread over 44 hectares of land & known for its excellent teaching facilities. The university offers a master of public health that covers the planning & management in health care sectors.
- Diploma in public health or equivalent 3-year bachelor degree
- B+ grade
- ILETS – 6.5
|Course Name||Master of Public Health|
|Cost (In NZ$)||42,696|
|Cost (In INR)||2179933|
|University Rank ( Times Higher Education 2021)||#201–250|
Check out the Honest Study in New Zealand Reviews
Victoria University of Wellington
The university is named after queen victoria & established in 1897. The university offers a master’s in health. The course covers the advanced level of health care systems & their current issues. Students will learn health care policy, planning, promotion of health, health care system, its care & prevention at workplaces etc.
- Bachelor degree in a related field
- B average grade
- IELTS – 6.0
|Course Name||Masters in Health|
|Duration||12 – 24 Months|
|Cost (In NZ$)||45,371|
|Cost (In INR)||2316511|
|University Rank ( Times Higher Education 2021)||#351- 400|
Auckland University of Technology
The university was formed in 2000 & has 3 campuses. University has diverse students coming from 108 countries. Auckland University is the second-largest university in New Zealand that offers different courses in 15 subjects. Auckland University of Technology offers a master of public health. The course covers the pattern of health & disease at the community level. It helps students develop skills required in the public health sector.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent diploma
- One year of professional experience
- IELTS – 6.0
|Course Name||Masters of Public Health|
|Cost (In NZ$)||38,002|
|Cost (In INR)||1940271|
|University Rank ( Times Higher Education 2021)||#251-300|
Check out the Cheapest Universities In New Zealand
The university has three campuses that are home to international students from over 100 countries & are ranked among the top 3% of universities globally. Massey University offers a master’s of public health. The course requires students to conduct their own research under the supervision of excellent academic faculties & public health researchers & also gives students the opportunity to practice at the professional level.
- Bachelor degree in health science
- Minimum B grade average
- IELTS – 6.5
|Course Name||Masters of Public Health|
|Cost (In NZ$)||47,610|
|Cost (In INR)||2430828|
|University Rank ( Times Higher Education 2021)||#601-800|
|University Location||New York|
Now that you have selected the institution for pursuing Masters in public health in New Zealand. The next step is the application process. There is no common application portal for admission in New Zealand Universities, applicants have to visit the university page for admission. Here is the step to apply for the course:
- Visit the official website of the university and click on Admissions.
- Check the eligibility before applying for the course.
- If you are eligible upload all the necessary documents.
- Pay the application fee. Every university has a different application fee amount.
- Submit your application form. Some universities call applicants for a round of personal interviews as well.
- You can keep a track of your application form from your admission account.
- In case of any queries, reach out to the admissions office of the specific university through email.
At the time of filling the application form, applicants are required to upload the mandatory documents. Here is the list of documents you should be handy during the registration process:
- Academic transcripts
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Passport size photos
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose(SOP)
- Financial documents
- A valid passport
Masters in Public Health in New Zealand Eligibility
Every applicant is advised to check the eligibility criteria before applying for the course. Every university in New Zealand has different requirements. Here are some of the common requirements for pursuing Masters in Public Health in New Zealand:
- Proof of English proficiency – Universities in New Zealand accept both IELTS and TOEFEL and it is one of the mandatory requirements in most of the universities. However, some universities do offer study in New Zealand without IELTS. The IELTS score should be between 6.5 – 7.5
- Bachelor Degree – For admission to Masters in Public Health in New Zealand all applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in the related field from a recognized institution.
- GRE – All applicants must score the minimum in GRE for admission. However, GRE is not mandatory but the applicants with scores are preferred more.
- Work Experience – Some universities might require work experience in the related field. Without the appropriate experience, applicants are not eligible. Work experience from 1- 3 years is required depending on the university.
Specialization in Masters in Public Health in New Zealand
One of the major reasons for pursuing Masters in Public Health in New Zealand is because of the range of specialization it offers to the applicants. Here is the list of specialization applicants can opt for based on their interests:
- Epidemiology: This revolves around studying the health of the large population, analyzing the causes, patterns, effects are drawing a plan of prevention.
- Biostatistics: Biostatistics is the study to control the epidemic by treating the infected person and also control it from further spreading.
- Health services management: As the name suggests, in this specialization the course is more focused on managerial tasks such as cost, availability, delivery, overall management, etc.
- Public security Public health: It revolves around the study of public health at the time of emergency or global crisis.
- Health promotion: In this specialization, the course is focused on spreading awareness and promoting public health at the global level.
Masters in Public Health in New Zealand Scholarships
Some of the universities offer financial aid/scholarship to help international students. Some of the scholarships are mentioned below.
New University of Auckland Summer Start Scholarship
University offers a scholarship to its international students that enrol in summer school before the degree semester session begins. The scholarship covers the student’s cost of accommodation in Waipārūrū Hall for the duration of Summer School 2021.
University of Otago Coursework Master’s Scholarship
The scholarship is applicable to both international & domestic students enrolling at the postgraduate level. The scholarship is worth NZ$10,000.
Wellington Graduate Award
The scholarship is worth $5,000 in the tuition fees. International students have to pay the difference between the domestic and international tuition fee
New Zealand AUT-NCUK Excellence Scholarship
The scholarship is applicable for international students with an excellent record in academics and is for one year only.
Cost of Living In New Zealand
After deciding on the university the next question in student’s minds is what will the cost of living in New Zealand be. The table below shows the estimated cost of living & basic necessities in New Zealand (per month). The cost varies depending on course, university & location.
|Expense||Cost (in NZ$)|
|Accommodation||900 – 1100|
|Grocery||400 – 650|
Job & Salary after Masters in Public Health New Zealand
There are different job sectors & profiles after a student has completed his/her master’s in public health. Some of the popular job profiles & their average salaries are mentioned in the table below.
|Job Profile||Salary (Per annum in NZ$)|
|Public Health Educator||NZ$55,000|
|Public Health Analyst||NZ$79,500|
Some universities offer specialization in Epidemiology, international health, and development, child health, nutrition, health promotion, etc.
University will accept gap year up to 10 years, students have to submit the information of that gap year.
The overall score should not be less than 6.0
Yes, the university provides various scholarships for international students, for more information applicants should visit the official website of the university.
There are 86,000 international students at New Zealand University.
Yes, IELTS is mandatory, it is one of the eligibility criteria that must be fulfilled.
We hope this blog was helpful & provide you with all the information you needed on a Master’s in Public Health from New Zealand. If you are planning to pursue the course and want more information you can connect with Leverage Edu. All the best for your future plans!