Australia is one of the top destinations for Indian students who wish to study abroad. As of 2019, more than 71,000 Indian students were enrolled in higher education courses in Australia. It is one of the smallest continents in the world and only the 6th largest country. Still, the construction industry in Australia is one of its largest and employs over 1 million people. Plus, more than 50,000 job openings are projected over the coming 5 years. Hence, pursuing a Master of Construction Management in Australia is a great opportunity for any international student. This blog provides an introduction to the same and also takes you through the eligibility, top course structure, top universities and scope.
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Master of Construction Management?
- Why Pursue a Master of Construction Management in Australia?
- Master of Construction Management Course Structure
- Master of Construction Management Eligibility Criteria
- Application Process for Master of Construction Management in Australia
- Best Universities for Master of Construction in Australia
- Cost of Studying Master of Construction Management in Australia
- Scholarships for Masters in Construction Management in Australia
- Scope of Master of Construction Management in Australia
What is a Master of Construction Management?
Master of Construction Management in Australia is a 2 to 3-year full-time course, which is available to both domestic and international students. The program comprises core and elective subjects, which enables you to customize your core curriculum. Students who do not have a background in construction enter the 3-year program and initially study the foundation subjects. After this, they undertake a specialisation to meet the accreditation requirements. The course aims to provide expertise to students who wish to make a career in Construction Management.
Why Pursue a Master of Construction Management in Australia?
- The job market for Construction Managers in Australia is booming. Currently, the construction industry employs over a million people, which is almost a tenth of the workforce in Australia. In addition, the job outlook for Construction Managers is projected to be ‘Very Strong’ with 10,000+ new jobs projected to be created every year for the next 5 years.
- 3 of the world’s top 150 universities offering the Master of Construction Management course are in Australia according to the QS World University Rankings.
- Master of Construction Management in Australia is a course that is very unique and innovative in its approach.
- There are a number of universities that provide this program and each one has excellent faculty that engages the students.
- Australia has been a pioneer in providing education to students from around the world and is still a leader in the same game. Studying for the Master of Construction Management in Australia is a unique learning experience.
Master of Construction Management Course Structure
A sample course plan would look as follows:
|Construction of Buildings||Environmental Systems|
|Management of Construction||Materials and Structures|
|Fundamentals of Built Environment Law||Commercial Construction|
|Contract Management||Cost Management|
|Construction Regulations and Control||Means and Methods in Construction|
|Construction Law||Advanced Construction Technology|
|Building Services and Operations||Research in Construction|
|Construction Measurement and Estimating||Management Systems for Construction|
|Project Management||Construction Scheduling|
|Elective 1||Elective 2|
|Elective 1||Elective 2|
|Elective 3||Elective 4|
Master of Construction Management Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for someone who wishes to pursue the Master of Construction Management in Australia vary greatly amongst the universities. Listen below is a general eligibility criterion that students are required to in order to pursue the course:
- The candidate must have graduated from a recognised university with a bachelor’s degree in construction.
- Candidates must have received a minimum of 50-55% in their undergraduate.
- Candidates must also meet the admission requirements for the college to which they wish to apply.
- Some colleges and universities have their own entrance exams that applicants must pass.
- If you want to study abroad, you’ll need to take an English proficiency test like the IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE.
Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria, aspirants are also required to have the following document checklist while applying for the Master of Construction Management in Australia:
Also Read: What are the Requirements to Study in Australia?
Application Process for Master of Construction Management in Australia
As a rule of thumb, a number of steps have to be followed very carefully when applying to the best Universities in Australia. Some of the steps of the application process are listed below:
- Collect your college transcripts or final mark sheet of the 12th before starting the process.
- Make sure you have your passport handy and are able to fill in all the information according to the same.
- A Statement of Purpose with one or more essays will be required to understand your reason for studying psychology at a particular university.
- The first step will be to decide on the college or university along with the course you wish to study. The AI Course Finder of Leverage Edu can help you with this!
- Register onto the website of the University and start your application process by filling in all your information.
- When you are offered a seat in the course you applied to, accept the offer and begin arranging for the funding.
- After this, the visa application process begins.
Best Universities for Master of Construction in Australia
Here is a list of some of the top universities that students can consider:
|University||QS Ranking 2022||Program Offered & Duration||Total Tuition Fees (in AUD)||Tuition Fees (in INR)|
|University of Melbourne||37||Masters in Construction Management; 3 years||135,720||72.13 lakhs|
|University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney)||43||Master of Construction Project Management; 1.7 years||51,666||27.46 lakhs|
|University of Adelaide||108||Master of Construction Management; 2 years||74,000||39.33 lakhs|
|Deakin University||283||Master of Construction Management (Professional); 2 years||74,800||39.75 lakhs|
|Swinburne University of Technology||321||Master of Construction Management; 1.5 years||51,270||27.25 lakhs|
|La Trobe University||362||Master of Construction and Engineering Management; 2 years||74,400||39.54 lakhs|
Cost of Studying Master of Construction Management in Australia
Your cost of study for a Master of Construction Management in Australia will largely depend on the university where you are pursuing your course. On average, the tuition fee for the Master of Construction Management course in Australia varies from AUD 30,000 (INR 15.82 lakhs) to AUD 50,000 (INR 26.37 lakhs) per annum.
Cost of Living in Australia
Living costs in Australia are much higher than those in India. So, you can expect your overall living expenses to be increased by 2-3 times as compared to India. Similarly, accommodation costs can increase by a factor of 5-6 times as compared to living in India.
For a detailed estimate of expenses, you can check out our article on the Cost of Studying in Australia.
Also Read: Finance Your Study Abroad Dreams with Leverage Finance
Scholarships for Masters in Construction Management in Australia
Following is the list of scholarships for master’s in construction management in Australia:
|Scholarship||Award Amount (in AUD)|
|Melbourne Graduate Scholarship||25-50% tuition waiver|
|Full tuition waiver, & up to 60,000|
|UNSW International Scholarships||5000|
|Global Academic Excellence Scholarship||50% of Tuition Fees|
|15-30% of Tuition fees|
|Scholarship for Excellence||10,000/year|
|Swinburne International Scholarship||50% of Tuition fees|
Scope of Master of Construction Management in Australia
Due to its well-established construction industry and a strong projection for growth on top, Australia is one of the top destinations for pursuing a career in construction management.
Following are the top job profiles after mastering construction management in Australia:
|Job Title||Average Annual Salary in Australia|
|Construction Manager||AUD 110,000 (INR 58 lakhs)|
|Construction Project Manager||AUD 98,000 (INR 51.70 lakhs)|
|Site Engineer||AUD 94,500 (INR 49.84 lakhs)|
|Project Engineer||AUD 82,000 (INR 43.24 lakhs)|
|Construction Estimator||AUD 67,500 (INR 35.60 lakhs)|
|Quantity Surveyor||AUD 73,800 (INR 38.92 lakhs)|
The average salary of graduates having a degree in Masters in Engineering Management in Australia is 89,000 AUD per annum. This is approximately INR 47.26 lakhs per annum. As per Payscale, the average annual salary of a Construction Manager in Australia is approximately AUD 110,000 (~INR 58.35 lakhs).
The information provided above was all that one needs about the Master in Construction Management in Australia. Experts at LeverageEdu are here to help you through the entire process of choosing a course and country, applying for the same and reaching the country to commence education. Call us at 1800-57-2000 to avail yourself of your free counselling session today!