Located in the market town of Loughborough, Leicestershire in England, Loughborough University is one of the top 20 research-led universities in the UK and is ranked #231 in the world (QS World Rankings 2022). The university is highly acclaimed for embedding sustainability in most of its academic structure and campus ongoings which is annually showcased at international events such as the COP26 in Glasgow. This blog explores the Loughborough University admission process, eligibility requirements and cost of studying at Loughborough University!
This Blog Includes:
- About Loughborough University
- Loughborough University Rankings
- Loughborough University Admissions Process
- Loughborough University Admissions Key Dates
- Loughborough University Admissions Requirements
- English Language requirements for Loughborough University
- Document Checklist
- Cost of Attendance at Loughborough University
- Accommodation at Loughborough University
- Scholarships offered by Loughborough University
- Student Visa for UK
About Loughborough University
The Loughborough University is spread across an area of 440 acres and has a vibrant and supportive environment for international students with 18000 students from 130 different countries. Through its 20+ academic schools and departments, the University offers world-class teaching and research facilities. The University offers various foundation, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and research courses to its applicants. The University has another location in London which was established exclusively for postgraduates.
Loughborough University Rankings
The ranking of this sustainable university numerously covers multiple international rankings in the following categories:
- Named ‘University of the Year for Sports’ by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
- Ranked 10th in the 2022 Guardian University League Table
- Ranked 7th out of 130 UK universities, and the top university in the Midlands, in the 2022 Complete University Guide
- Secured seventh place in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 and remains the top university in the Midlands.
- University of the Year’ at the 2020 WhatUni Student Choice Awards
- 5th place in 2020 Times Higher Education ‘Table of Tables’
- Named the best university in the world for sports-related subjects in the global 2020 QS higher education league table.
- Ranked the top university in England for overall student satisfaction in the 2019 National Student Survey (NSS).
- Ranked 1st in the Student Experience Survey 2018 by Times Higher.
- Loughborough University has been outstandingly successful in receiving a total of seven prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prizes.
Loughborough University Admissions Process
The step-by-step Loughborough University admission process for international students is as follows:
- Choosing a Course – The first step is to choose your course. The University offers a variety of undergraduate, postgraduate courses, research study programs, degree preparation courses and English language programmes. You can visit the University’s official website and simply find a course that suits you.
- Applying for the Course – The next step is to apply for the chosen course. Start the application process for full-time undergraduate courses by logging into UCAS with the “Apply Now“ button to access the application and create an account.
- Gather Test Scores of Proficiency Exams – GMAT, GRE, IELTS, PTE or TOEFL are a mandatory part of the documents required for the application process. Register for Leverage Live and commence with your preparations today. A few courses may ask for the online portfolio or assignment that takes place on Skype.
- Gather other Documents – LOR, SOP, bank statements, essays, updated resumes and official transcripts of previous academic degrees are also part of the supporting documents. Start collecting all the necessary documents to get ahead with your application process.
- Submit your Application – Once you are qualified, collected all the documents and fulfilled the language requirements you are ready, to begin with, the application form. To secure your admission at Loughborough University make sure you enter all your personal and professional credentials thoroughly. Later on, check the deadlines, and submit your saved application form at the right time to the university.
- Receiving your offer – After processing your application the University communicates the response through a letter within 2-3 weeks.The response would be either of the following:
- Conditional Offer – This means that the admission would be confirmed if and when the students meet a certain admission requirement, such as the completion of the undergraduate degree with a specific grade and submit outstanding documents. Until you meet the entry criteria, your place is reserved.
- Unconditional Offer – This indicates the student’s acceptance to a particular course.
- Rejection Letter – This indicates that the student has not been accepted to the University.
- Accepting your Offer – You have to formally accept the offer by following the instructions provided in the letter. In case of a conditional offer, you would have to meet all conditional requirements and provide additional documents, if required. Your offer would be withdrawn if you don’t accept it.
- Receiving your CAS Number – The University will issue you a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) after you accept your offer and make a deposit of £2,500to confirm your place as per your offer letter . CAS number is required for visa application
- Applying for a Visa – The next step would be to apply for your student visa. You can apply for a visa upto 3 months before the course date
- Booking your Accommodation – International students who accept their offer and register to the accommodation system by the given deadline can book their accommodation.
Also Read: Intakes in UK
Loughborough University Admissions Key Dates
The important dates for the Loughborough admissions to the September intake are as follows:
|UCAS Application Deadline for Medicine Courses||15 October|
|UCAS Application deadline||26 January|
|Applications for Student Finance Open||January/February|
|UCAS Extra Opens (if students don’t receive any offers they can apply to a new course through UCAS extra)||25 February|
|Offers Made by Universities||March (most offers will be made by the end of March)|
|Deadline for applicants to make their choice of University||May|
|UCAS Final Deadline (final deadline for application to a September course)||30 June|
|Clearing Begins (students who don’t get the required results to confirm their admission can apply to other universities||July/August|
Students can apply directly through the university’s website for postgraduate programs.
Loughborough University Admissions Requirements
Requirements may vary from course to course. These are the eligibility requirements for Indian Students at Loughborough University:
For UG Course
- Standard XII through CBSE, ISCE or West Bengal Exam Boards, 78% – 88% average performance from the best 4 subjects is required.
- For other state boards, 83% – 93% from the best 4 subjects is required.
- Specific subject marks at Standard X or Standard XII may be required for some courses.
- Students with A Level or IB qualifications are considered for direct entry to undergraduate degree courses.
- English Language Proficiency Test scores
For PG courses
- A 2:1/2:2 Bachelor’s degree with honours or equivalent with minimum GPA specified.
|Institutions listed on the Indian Ranking of Higher Educational Institutions Framework||65% (First)||60% (First)||55% (Upper second)|
|All other Indian institutions||70% (First with distinction)||65% (First)||60% (First)|
- English Language Proficiency Test scores
- A background in a particular subject depending upon your choice of specialisation.
School-Based English Language Requirements
Following is the list of school-based qualifications applicable as a measure of English Language Proficiency for Indian students:
|BSE – All India Senior School Certificate Examination||75%|
|ISCE – Indian School Certificate Examination (Class – XII)||75%|
|Goa, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu State Boards – Standard XII||80%|
|West Bengal State Board – Standard XII||75%|
English Language requirements for Loughborough University
At the time of applying to the University, you must have a qualification in the English Language, whether or not it is your first language. The following is the list of English Language Tests and required score that is acceptable by the university:
|IELTS Academic Test||Overall score of 6.5 with not less than 6.0 in each test|
|TOEFL iBT||Overall score of 92, with not less than 22 in each test|
|Trinity Integrated Skills in English (ISE) III||Pass overall, with passes in each component|
|Cambridge English: Advanced (CPA)||C/180|
|Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)||C/200|
|Cambridge English: First (CFE)||A|
Some Schools/Departments may require higher levels of English than mentioned. So do check the course you are applying to.
Documents required will depend on your course. Following are the standard documents required:
- Completely filled application form
- a personal statement – explaining your motivation for studying the programme, any relevant skills and experience you have (through studying or work), and your future career aspirations and how this programme will support you in achieving this
- Copy of bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Copy of english language test scores
- Copy of GMAT/GRE test scores
- Self-attested X & XII marksheet and certificates
- 2 references, if required
- Copy of Passport
- Portfolio (for design courses)
- Research Proposal (for PG research programs)
All academic transcripts should officially be translated into English.
Also Read: Cost of Studying in UK for Indian Students
Cost of Attendance at Loughborough University
The tuition fee for undergraduate and postgraduate students at the Loughborough is as follows:
|Level of Study||Tuition Fees|
|International Foundation Programme tuition fees||From £18,650|
|Undergraduate courses||From £18,650|
|Postgraduate Courses||From £19,950|
Accommodation at Loughborough University
For accommodation, Loughborough University offers 16 options- out of which seven are catered halls and nine are self-catered halls. to its international applicants. The rent varies from £4,231 to £7,727 annually, depending upon your choice of accommodation and bedroom capacity of the flat. You can register on the accommodations system from late May/early June and once your place at Loughborough University is confirmed you can apply to the accommodation of your choice.
Scholarships offered by Loughborough University
The following scholarships are provided by the Loughborough University to its international students:
|International Scholarships||25% off first-year tuition fees|
|Music Tuition and Scholarships||£200 for 8 hours of music tuition. The scholarships award up to £500 each|
|Sports Scholarships||Up to £5,000 per year, depending on sport and performance level|
|School and department scholarships||Variable|
Student Visa for UK
To study in London, UK, you have to apply for a General Student Visa [Tier 4]. You will become eligible for a study visa once you are enrolled in a full-time study course. The requirements include:
- Proof of identity
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number
- Offer letter from university
- Documents for obtaining CAS
- Recent passport size photographs
- Proof of funds
- Visa fee payment
- Additional requirements by the university
- After you’ve completed your masters, you would be allowed to stay in London if you hold a job offer with an annual salary of GBP 20800
- You need to switch to a Tier 2 general visa which lasts for 5 years post completion of studies.
- You can qualify for permanent residence provided your income is at least £35000
If you are facing issues while applying, get in touch with Leverage Edu instructors at 1800 57 2000 and from the application process to the visa process, get entry into your dream university with ease.