LOR stands for a Letter of Recommendation. It is an official piece of documentation that a potential candidate must submit before their admission or acceptance to the desired organisation. The recommender writes a LOR to upraise a candidate’s work or academic calibre. LOR for Engineering courses is often a supporting document that a recommender provides to highlight the aptitude, knowledge, expertise, qualifications, and skills of an individual to consider him/her eligible for a program. In this blog, we have discussed in-depth about LOR for Engineering Students.
This Blog Includes:
Why LOR is Required?
A LOR is an essential document that is required for the following reasons:
- It is one of the most essential supporting documents in the application process of any university.
- The LOR corroborates a student’s credibility and personal character.
- A well-written LOR provides deeper insights into the applicant’s aspirations and suitability.
- LOR provides valuable information regarding your leadership skills and academic capabilities.
- The document summarizes the list of an applicant’s strengths and weaknesses.
- It presents an unbiased opinion from a dignitary body.
- It is an important document needed by an organization to assess your academic ability.
Types of LORs
To pursue your education abroad you will be required to submit two LORs. It can be an academic LOR or a professional LOR depending on the requirements of the university.
- Academic LOR – An academic LOR is a Letter of Recommendation usually written by your educational mentor. It can be written by your high school teachers if you are applying to pursue your undergraduate degree and it can be written by your college professor if you wish to pursue a postgraduate or PhD degree.
- Professional LOR – A professional Letter of Recommendation is usually written by the immediate supervisor of the organization in which the student is currently working or recently worked. It describes the student’s ability to perform professional tasks related to their field and to illustrate their practical knowledge.
Structure of a LOR
There is a basic structure that every LOR follows:
- Introductory Paragraph – An LOR begins with an introduction of the recommender and its relationship with the applicant.
- Second Paragraph – This paragraph includes the purpose of writing the letter and how the applicant’s academic performance has been.
- Third Paragraph – This paragraph illustrates the story of the applicant’s growth through various projects and the surfacing of many skills that resonate with the requirements of the program.
- Fourth Paragraph – Many other qualities such as leadership and behavioural characteristics and others are mentioned in this paragraph. Extracurricular activities, positions of responsibility, etc are also stated here.
- Conclusion – In the end, the recommender must summarize the letter and present it with a closing statement. The recommender should also provide his/her official email address and sign the letter.
Some Tips to Remember When Writing a LOR
Given below are some tips to follow when writing a LOR:
- Make sure the LOR follows a clear structure and the language is simple and easy to understand avoid using complex language.
- The LOR should contain a brief explanation of the relationship between the applicant and his/her mentor.
- Keep the word limit in check, do not exceed more than 500-600 words unless stated by the university.
- The information mentioned in the LOR must be accurate and support your eligibility and suitability for the course or program.
- Do not plagiarize the content from the internet. Your LOR should describe your personality and competence.
- LOR must highlight an applicant’s soft skills and hard skills including analytical skills, quantitative skills, communication skills, etc.
- Keep the font of the LOR as Times New Roman and the font size as 12 to maintain the generic format.
Sample LOR for Engineering Students
Given below is the sample of LOR for Engineering Students:
A. LOR stands for a Letter of Recommendation. It is an official piece of documentation that a potential candidate must submit before their admission or acceptance to the desired organisation.
A. To pursue your education abroad you will be required to submit two LORs. It can be an academic LOR or a professional LOR depending on the requirements of the university.
A. A LOR must contain unique information related to the applicant including academic excellence, extracurricular participation, research work, and other qualities and characteristics of the applicant.
We hope that this blog has provided you with the relevant information on LOR for Engineering Students and if you wish to pursue any such course abroad and need assistance with all the official documents, contact Leverage Edu. You can also call on 1800572000 and book a free session today!