“Things have never been more like the way they are today in history.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower. Are you a fan of Harry Potter? Do you know when ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’ was released? Have you ever wondered what happened on a specific historical date? There are many facts still left unexplored about India and the world. History is full of fascinating and intriguing facts. Let us recall the events that happened through the years on this day in history- June 21.
What Happened in India on June 21?
- 1948 – Lord Mountbatten
Lord Mountbatten resigned as Governor General of India.
- 1921- India became the British Commonwealth
The UK, the Dominions, and India became the British Commonwealth of Nations.
- 1991- P.V. Narasimha Rao became Prime Minister of India
P.V. Narasimha Rao became Prime Minister of India as head of the Congress minority government.
- 2001- Total solar eclipse
The total solar eclipse in the Madagascar-Indian Ocean was witnessed on June 21, 2001. (4m56s).
What Happened Around the World on June 21?
- 1955- Johnny Cash debut
Johnny Cash debuted with the country song “Cry! Cry! Cry!”
- 1957- Louis St. Laurent resigned as Prime Minister
Louis St. Laurent resigned as Prime Minister of Canada on June 21, 1957 and ended the longest uninterrupted run at the federal level in Canadian history.
- 1970- FIFA World Cup Final
Brazil and Pelé became the first team and player to win the World Cup 3 times on June 21, 1970.
- 1977- White House chief of staff arrested
Former White House chief of staff H. R. Haldeman got arrested.
- 2003- “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix”
“Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” the 5th book of the series by J. K. Rowling was published on June 21, 2003.
- 2013– 15 people were killed and 20 were injured after a suicide bomber attacked a mosque in Peshawar.
- 2019– Toy Story 4 was released on this day.
- 2020- Kurt Cobain’s guitar sold
Kurt Cobain’s guitar during Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged show was sold for a record $6 million on June 21, 2020.
Famous Birthdays on June 21
- 1979 – Chris Pratt
Chris Pratt is an American actor born in Virginia, Minnesota
- 1982- Prince William
Prince William, son of Prince Charles & Lady Diana, was born on June 21, 1982 in London, England.
- 1985- Lana Del Rey
Lana Del Rey is an American singer-songwriter born in NYC, New York.
- 1992- Max Schneider
Max who became an iHeart 2019 Best New Pop Artist nominee was born on this day.
This Day in History – June Reads!
- This Day In History- June 3
- This Day in History- June 4
- This Day In History- June 5
- This Day in History – June 6
- This Day In History- June 7
- This Day in History- June 8
- This Day in History- June 9
- This Day in History- June 10
Hope you are now familiar with the events of historical significance that took place on this day in history – June 21. For the latest updates around study blogs, you can follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and also subscribe to our newsletter. You can also join our Leverage Edu Community. Leverage Edu wishes you all the best for all your future endeavors.