From quirky restaurants to historical architecture, the UK is a great blend of modern and traditional. The country houses some of the best universities for studying Interior Designing, Architecture, and Planning. The average salary for an Interior Designer in the UK is £18,000 [INR 18,12,882]. If you want to build a career as an Interior Designer then here are some interior design courses in the UK’s top universities!
This Blog Includes:
Interior Design Courses
Interior Design is a vibrant field that has recently gained a lot of interest among students. It increases depth perception in a variety of settings, including residential, hotels, hospitals, retail stores, commercial settings, and exhibition spaces, and is a flexible career that requires a creative, inventive, and artistic mind capable of executing and managing projects design.
Interior Design courses cover all aspects of the process, from initial design to branding to project management to execution, with specific modules focusing on color, drawing plans, space planning, furnishings, wall and floor finishes, furniture styles, lighting, and best professional practice – all of which work together to put you on the right track to becoming an Interior Designer.
|Course fee||Rs 14 lakhs to 24 lakhs|
|Average salary||In approximation to 5 lakhs to 30 lakhs|
|Top recruiting companies||Architectural firms, teaching institutions, construction companies, and assistants to Architects or engineers (Civil) etc.|
|Job positions||Interior Designer, space manager, teacher, assistant civil engineer, consultants, and advisors|
Must Read: What are the Requirements to Study in UK?
Why Study Interior Design Courses in the UK?
Interior Design degrees help students in mastering their creative processes and applying them to the design of living environments and the enhancement of their aesthetics. Here’s why UK is the best place to study Interior Design:
- Interior Designing is a lucrative career in the UK, from working as part of a design team to freelancing, branding and communications, 3D design. Students can work in the specialisation of their choice.
- The UK is home to excellent companies like MKV Design, Align, Wilkinson Design, Rouge Designs whose work is internationally recognised and appreciated.
- Studying interior design in the UK is an excellent way to explore different spatial designs, interact with top designers and work with a wide range of modern and traditional techniques.
- International students must also earn up to £18,000 [INR 18,12,882] to 30,00 GBP [INR 30 lakhs] a year after finishing their degree.
Also Read: Study in UK’s Beach Towns and Breezy Cities!
Top School for Interior Design in UK
According to QS, the United Kingdom has more than 70 institutions offering art and design majors. According to the QS Art and Design Rankings 2021, the United Kingdom has 7 leading institutions ranked within the top 50 global design universities:
|Universities||QS Art & Design Rankings 2021||Programs Offered|
|Royal College of Art||1||9 Masters|
|University of the Arts London||2||15 Bachelors, 21 Masters|
|The Glasgow School of Art||8||8 Bachelors, 8 Masters|
|Goldsmiths, University of London||15||1 Bachelors, 5 Masters|
|Loughborough University||31||3 Bachelors, 9 Masters|
|Oxford University||36||1 Bachelors, 1 Master|
|University College London||48||3 Bachelors, 17 Masters|
Must Read: Is It Possible to Study MBA Below 20000 GBP?
Interior Design Courses in UK – Eligibility Criteria
|Courses||Basic Requirements||Documents Required|
|Bachelor’s Courses||78-88% in XII standard examination from a recognized school
IELTS – 6.5TOEFL (iBT) – 92PTE – 62
|Application Form (Online)Higher secondary and secondary school certificates/transcripts with – English translations
English Proficiency Scores
Copy of Passport
A portfolio of design work
|Master’s Courses||An undergraduate degree with a minimum of 70%.IELTS – 6.0PTE – 58TOEFL iBT – 90CAE (Cambridge English Advanced) – 165||Academic transcripts from all universities and colleges attended
Proof of proficiency in the English language
A copy of your passport. Statement of Purpose
A link to your digital portfolio in the form of an electronic file (pdf).
In the table below, we’ve listed the average fees for different courses:
|Bachelor’s Courses||Tuition expenses for a bachelor’s degree in interior design range from 14,000 GBP to 24,000 GBP [INR 14 – 24 lakhs] per year.|
|Master’s Course||Tuition expenses for a master‘s degree in interior design range from 13,000 GBP to 20,000 GBP [INR 13 – 20 lakhs] per year.|
Must Read: How to Pursue MPhil in UK?
Candidates can apply directly to the institution without any additional requirements; however, some colleges need students to take an entrance exam (CET) before being admitted to this course:
- Candidates should check their individual college’s website on a frequent basis for any updates on admission dates.
- As soon as the announcement for admission arrives, candidates are asked to register on the admission site.
- Candidates must fill out their personal information as well as submit their documents (scanned copies)
- After completing and submitting the application, candidates must pay the application fee using Net banking or debit/credit cards.
- If your college has an admission exam, download your admit card after completing your application and take the test on the scheduled day.
- Following the announcement of the results of the admission exams. Candidates can complete the remaining procedures (fee payment, etc.) at a later time.
Also Read: Best Student Cities in UK
Scholarships in UK for Interior Design Courses
For international students, the UK government has provided a range of financial aid opportunities, including scholarships, private loans, and other kinds of financial help. The following are some well-known scholarships for international students wishing to study at top interior design schools in the United Kingdom:
|Scholarships||Program offered||Award value (GBP)|
|International Excellence Scholarship||Undergraduate||8,000 [INR 8 lakhs]|
|Dean Scholarship||Master||5,000 [INR 5 lakhs]|
|Chevening partnership scholarship||Master||Full free waiver|
|Vice-Chancellor Scholarship||Undergraduate||50% of the tuition fee|
|Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships||Master||Full tuition fee waiver|
|Professional Experience Scholarship||Master||4,000 [INR 4 lakhs]|
|GREAT Scholarship||Undergraduate||10,000 [INR 10 lakhs]|
|Irene Hallinan Scholarships||Master and Doctoral||4,900 [INR 4.8 lakhs]|
Also Read: How to Study in Glasgow?
You will be given several opportunities to interact with businesses, clients, and experienced designers to display your work and cooperate on projects while still earning your degree in interior design. After finishing your course, this experience will help you transition into the real world of competition. You may land jobs with top recruiters like Graven, Kapsimali Architects, Norman Foster & Partners, Orange & Uniter Designers, Orbit Architects, Studio Sofield, Bill Dunster Architects, Muji, and others as per your experience and connections.
The following are some of the most common job roles for interior design graduates in the United Kingdom:
- Interior Design Assistant
- Interior Designer
- Kitchen Designer
- Design Manager
- Design and Decorative Assistant
- Landscape Artist
- Architectural Designer
Salary Trends: You may earn somewhere between INR 5 lakhs to 30 lakhs depending upon your degree, your experience, and your networks.
Also Read: Sandwich Courses in UK
You will have to apply for a UK Student Visa or a Tier-4 Visa once you have received your admission letter from one of the UK universities. To allow enough time for visa processing, you must apply for a Student Visa at least three months prior to the commencement of the course. The following requirements must be met in order to obtain a UK Student Visa:
- Passport information
- A passport-sized picture taken recently
- A letter of acceptance from a renowned UK university
- Language competency certificate in English
- Proof of adequate funds: 1,015 GBP [INR 1,00,000] (for locations outside London) or 1,265 GBP [INR 1,20,000] (for locations within London) (London)
- Bank statements, loan statements, or a scholarship letter can all be used to provide proof of funds.
Note: The processing time for a Student Visa in the United Kingdom is around three weeks, however, it may take longer during busy periods.
Plan to pursue Interior Design courses in the UK? Get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts at 1800572000 and get started with a FREE profile evaluation!