We are living in a world filled with hi-tech gadgets which have certainly made our lives easier and fascinating. Amongst the appliances we use in our daily activities, many of those are designed and formulated by instrument technicians who go an extra mile to come up with new technological innovations. Broadly belonging to the category of electronic and instrumentation engineering as well as in electronic and control engineering, the role of instrument technician is becoming an indispensable one. In this blog, we will shed some light on how you can follow this lucrative career prospect in Instrumentation Engineering as well as prospective courses, universities and career scope this field possesses.
Must Read: Instrumentation and Control Engineering
This Blog Includes:
Who is an Instrument Technician?
An instrument technician has an in-depth understanding of Electrical and Electronic Engineering and they know how to manipulate various machine-based systems. Often called as electrical technicians, they generally can be seen working in manufacturing plants and nuclear power plants in order to track operational functioning. They deal with handling the pressure, flow, level and temperature in a system. They install or maintain instruments and work in various equipment and processes. In order to achieve a lucrative career in this specialisation, you can choose from a wide range of prestigious universities around the world offering varied diploma level courses. Mainly, a diploma or an associate degree can equip you with the requisite knowledge and skills to become an instrument technician.
Recommended Read: Trending Courses After Engineering You Must Consider
How to Become an Instrument Technician?
This specialised field of Engineering is growing with lucrative career opportunities in the contemporary times. As an aspiring instrument technician, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps to acquire the right qualifications and skills.
- Education: A proper knowledge of the subject plays a decisive role in pursuing this profile at a prestigious company. Studying an associate degree from a recognized institution can provide you with the necessary knowledge and training to become an Instrument Technician.
- Logical-thinking Abilities: Your ability to think logically especially when you are executing your ideas on the job will play a major role in shaping your career especially in order to fix any technical issue, reasoning skills are important.
- Mathematical Skills: If you want to take up the role of an Instrument technician, mathematical skills play an imperative role utilising which you can easily analyse, design and troubleshoot systems.
- Mechanical skills: Having mechanical skills in hand will also help you become a proficient instrument technician. You need to be technically sound with all the electronic equipment.
- Observational skills: You will be assigned with various projects where you have to find loopholes, for that your observational skills will play a major role.
- Writing skills as well as problem-solving skills are also significant ones to imbibe to become an instrument technician apart from excellent spoken communication, clear judgment and decision making.
Must Read: Best Engineering Courses for Future
Courses in Instrumentation Engineering & Technology
Education is the foremost qualification you need to gain in order to become an instrument technician. To help you in your research about the programs that can equip you with the essential knowledge and skills to become an Instrument Technician, we have listed some of the prominent courses in tabular form below:
|Diploma in Instrumentation Engineering Technology||Diploma in Industrial Instrumentation||Diploma in Instrumentation and Control Engineering Technician|
|Associate of Applied Science in Industrial Technology – Instrumentation||Associate of Science in Instrumentation Technician||Certificate of Achievement in Instrumentation Technician|
|Diploma in Instrumentation Engineering Technology||Advanced Diploma in Instrumentation and Control Engineering Technology – Industrial Automation||Certificate of Achievement in Instrumentation Technician|
Want Free Career Counselling? Click Here!
There are numerous technical institutions around the world that avail a wide range of Instrumentation Engineering courses at different levels of study. Here is a list of some of the major universities that offer the above-mentioned courses for those wanting to become an Instrument Technician:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- SAIT Polytechnic
- Fleming College
- St. Lawrence College
- University of Alaska
- Idaho State University
- Los Medanos College
- Lambton College
Check Out: Career in Systems Engineering
There are innumerable opportunities available in the domain of instrument technology in both public as well as private sector. Planning to establish your career as an Instrument Technician but don’t know how to go about it? Take the help of our Leverage Edu experts by signing up for a free 30-minute career counselling session and we will help you find the right course and university that align with your interests, aspirations and preferences!