Each year, over 450,000 international students enrol to study in the UK, according to UCAS. The UK provides an academic experience that is difficult to match. It has everything you need to reach your full potential, from world-renowned universities to an innovative approach to teaching and the leading minds who deliver it. According to studies, 54% of all research conducted by universities in the UK is classified as either world-leading or internationally excellent. In fact, the United Kingdom is one of the most recommended destinations for international students. One in every four world leaders studied in the UK, so if you want to achieve great things, you’re in the right place in the UK. Here are some statistics and interesting facts about Indian students studying in the UK that will amaze you!
This Blog Includes:
- Role of Indian Students Studying in the UK
- International Students in UG vs PG
- Crazy Facts About International Students in the UK
- What are the top Courses Prefered by International Students?
- What are the top Universities Preferred by International Students?
- What are the average expenses while Studying in the UK?
- Factors Indian Students Consider While Choosing UK Universities
Role of Indian Students Studying in the UK
Check out these interesting facts about the contribution of Indian students to international education in the UK.
- Student visas issued to Indian students increased by 102% between September 2020 and 2021, with the total number of student visas rising to 90,669 from 44,992.
- The UK student visa approval rate for Indians is 96%.
- Over the last five years, there has been a significant increase of 67,660 in the number of yearly enrollments of Indian students in the UK. The increases were the most significant in 2019/20 and 2020/21.
- In 2020/21, students from India account for 19% of all non-EU enrolments in the UK.
- The number of first-year Indian international students has increased by 27%, from 41,815 in 2019-20 to 53,015 in 2020-21, accounting for 19% of all non-EU enrolments.
India is currently the 2nd most populous Non-EU country with students studying in the UK.
International Students in UG vs PG
Here is how the numbers of international students compare in UG vs PG courses in the UK.
- According to the most recent HESA statistics, there are 192,510 (11%) international students coming from outside the EU for full-time undergraduate programs in the UK in 2020/2021.
- Full-time UG international students from outside the EU increased from 160,135 in 2018/2019 to 192,510 in 2020/2021.
- In 2018/2019, 230,085 international students from outside the EU are enrolled in full-time postgraduate programs in the UK, a 44.32%increase from the previous year (159,430).
Want to find out the best course for you? Try the AI Course Finder for FREE.
Crazy Facts About International Students in the UK
International education in the UK has seen astonishing growth in recent years. Here are some facts that will make you want to choose you as your study abroad destination.
- The United Kingdom has reached its 600,000 international student target a decade earlier than expected!
- The number of international students in the UK has increased significantly in comparison to the previous year (2019/2020). An increase of 8.7%, to be exact.
- According to the Higher Education Statistics Agency’s 2020/2021 statistics, there are currently 605,130 international students pursuing degrees in the UK. The figure has increased from the previous year’s statistics, which included a total of 556,625 international students.
- According to statistics, the total number of international students in the UK in 2020/2021 is 605,130.
- As of 2020/21, a total of 452,225 students from countries other than the European Union are studying in the United Kingdom.
What are the top Courses Prefered by International Students?
The UK has become a preferred destination for international students in some particular courses. Here are some details that you may want to know.
- Business and administrative studies, social studies, studies allied to medicine, and creative arts are the most popular subjects for international students in the UK.
- According to 2017/2018 statistics, approximately 127,335 international students were pursuing a degree in Business & Administrative studies in the United Kingdom making it one of the most popular among international students.
- Social studies enrolled a total of 43,145 international students, while subjects related to medicine enrolled a total of 22,045 international students.
- According to 2017/2018 statistics, there were 32,890 international students in the field of Creative Arts.
Must Read: Your Guide for the Best Courses in the UK
What are the top Universities Preferred by International Students?
- With a total of 23,360 international students, University College London is the top university in terms of international students.
- Following closely behind are the Universities of Manchester (17,625), University of Edinburgh (15,590), and King’s College London (15,550).
- Coventry University, University of Glasgow, Imperial College of Science, Technology, and Medicine, University of Sheffield, University of the Arts, London, and University of Leeds are the next universities on the list for 2020/2021.
What are the average expenses while Studying in the UK?
The cost of living in London is high, but when compared to other world’s largest cities, the British capital is a relatively inexpensive place to live. Aside from that, London offers the same quality of life as those cities, as well as the same desirability among people considering making London their future home. The following infographic shares some insights about the cost of living in the UK.
Use our Cost of Living Calculator to find the costs as per your personal requirements.
Factors Indian Students Consider While Choosing UK Universities
These are the primary factors Indian students consider when choosing a university in the UK.
- Tuition Fees – The tuition fees can depend on the University and the course you choose, but comparatively, it provides you with quality education in a lesser amount than the rest of the countries.
- Career Support at University – The Graduate route was recently introduced by the UK government for international students who want to continue working after finishing their studies. This allows students to work or look for work in the UK without being sponsored by a company.
- Teaching Quality – Behind the brilliant research are brilliant thinkers, some of the best minds in their fields with whom you can connect on multiple levels.
- University’s Reputation – Higher educational standards, with institutions that consistently rank among the best in the world.
- Student experience – An incredible, unforgettable student experience unlike any other country, where you can have fun, learn new things, and make lifelong friends.
Hope that you loved reading these interesting facts about Indian students studying in the UK as much as we did. Do you have any thoughts and questions about studying in the UK? Let us know your thoughts in the comment box!