Canada has, over the years, dethroned the USA and UK as the go-to destination for studying abroad. What makes Canada stand out is its friendly culture, world-class education, post-study work opportunities, and easy permanent residency. To boost Canadian immigration in 2022- 2024, the Canadian government has announced that it hopes to attract 431,645 permanent residents. This means applying to Canadian universities is the surest way to ensure your way into one of the world’s friendliest countries. Here are some metrics and interesting facts about Canada that will bowl you over!
This Blog Includes:
- Indian Students Studying in Canada
- Canada receives the largest inbound students from India
- Top Specializations for Indian Students
- Why Study in Canada?
- Which Canadian universities have the most Indian students?
- Where do Indian students spend their money?
- Accommodation Preferences of International Students in Canada
- Do Indian students want to come back to India after their studies? Pathway to PR in Canada
- Quick Facts about International students in Canada
- Where do International students prefer to study in Canada?
- Benefits of International Students in Canada
Indian Students Studying in Canada
Here are some interesting facts about Indian students studying in Canada and why they chose the country as their top destination for higher education
- 215,720 – Indian students travelled to study in Canada in 2021.
- 1 in 5 Indian students chooses Canada for studying abroad.
- By 2025, 40,000 increase in yearly enrolments of Indian students.
Canada receives the largest inbound students from India
India tops the charts when it comes to international students studying in Canadian Universities. Over 34% of international students are from India followed by 22% from China, 4% from Vietnam, 3% from South Korea, and 2% from Nigeria.
Top Specializations for Indian Students
Based on our internal findings, here are some of the most popular courses amongst students planning to study in Canada-
- Big Data, AI, Data Analytics
- Sports Management
Why Study in Canada?
The following are the reasons to study in Canada:
- It is one of the most affordable countries to pursue your higher education
- The country is home to many world-class universities offering top-notch education
- It offers many courses that students can pursue depending on their interests
- Universities offer many scholarships and financial aid programs to encourage students to pursue their education in Canada
- There are many job opportunities for graduates in various sectors including engineering, medicine, architecture and more
Want to find out the best course for you? Try the AI Course Finder for FREE.
Which Canadian universities have the most Indian students?
India recently has overtaken China as the largest source country for international students! This flow is directed towards countries like Canada, the US, UK despite the pandemic because of their openness, student-friendly policies, and post-study opportunities. Canada leads the market for higher education and some of its universities and colleges attract the largest number of Indian students in the world. Here are the most preferred Canadian universities by Indian students:
Where do Indian students spend their money?
Based on our findings, here is a representation of living expenses for international students. The most pricey expense is accommodation, followed by food, and transportation and the rest are miscellaneous expenses. Use the cost of living calculator powered by Leverage Edu to find out your cost of living in Canada.
|Spend Area||Average Cost||Percentage Share|
|Rent||500 CAD (INR 30,178)||33.33%|
|Food||300 CAD (INR 18,106)||20%|
|Transport||200 CAD (INR 12,071)||13.33%|
|Miscellaneous||500 CAD (INR 30,178)||33.33%|
Finance Your Student Dreams with Fly Finance
Accommodation Preferences of International Students in Canada
Here are some interesting facts about Indian Students studying in Canada and their accommodation choices to save money and get the best comfort:
|Apartment Rented with others||46%|
Do Indian students want to come back to India after their studies? Pathway to PR in Canada
- Only 1 in 25 students had plans to take up further studies in their home country.
- Just 12% of students wanted to return to their home country for employment.
- Around half of the students wanted to get a PR in Canada
Here is what the students have to say about their plans after completing their studies in Canada.
Planning for Further Study
Here is what students had to say about their plans for further study in Canada.
|No plans for further study||43%|
|Study further in Canada||46%|
|Study further in another country||7%|
|Study further in home country||4%|
Planning to Work
Here are the plans for students working in Canada after studying.
|Return to home country||12%|
|Work 3 years in Canada before returning home||21%|
|No plan to return home||54%|
47.3% of total PR invites in Canada were given to Indians, the highest of any country.
Quick Facts about International students in Canada
The following are the facts about Canada:
- Indians make up more than 3% of the Canadian population
- Nearly 80% of growth in the international student market will come from Asian countries by the year 2025 – Western Union Business Solutions.
- International students contribute over $22.3.6B per year to the Canadian economy
- With nearly 50% of international students in Ontario, it is by far the largest beneficiary of foreign students in Canada
- 135% increase in international students in Canada 2010-2020
Where do International students prefer to study in Canada?
The following are the popular destinations among students to study in Canada:
|British Columbia||23 %|
Benefits of International Students in Canada
The following are the benefits of international students in Canada
- Most popular foreign destination. 100,000 Canadian permits issued in 2021.
- 60% of international students in Canada plan for PR.
- 96% recommend Canada as a top study destination.
- 49% find work permanently in Canada.
The following are the reasons to study in Canada:
It is one of the most affordable countries to pursue your higher education
The country is home to many world-class universities offering top-notch education
It offers many courses that students can pursue depending on their interests
Universities offer many scholarships and financial aid programs to encourage students to pursue their education in Canada
The following are the top universities to study in Canada:
University of Toronto
University of British
The following are the popular places in Canada to Study:
Do these interesting facts excite you enough to study in Canada? Then wait no more, call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 and get started on your journey.