IIT JAM is used to select candidates who wish to pursue MSc, MSc-PhD dual degrees, etc at the Indian Institutes of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science [IISc] that have etched their name in providing quality education in engineering, science, and technology domains. In this blog, we will provide you with comprehensive information pertaining to IIT JAM and its related components.
|Exam||Indian Institutes of Technology Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.|
|Conducting Body||IIT Guwahati|
|Mode of Exam||CBT (Computer-Based Test)|
|Exam Type||National Level|
|Courses offered||M.Sc., M.Sc.+ PhD, M.Sc.+ PhD Dual Degree, M.Sc. + M.Tech and various other integrated post-graduate programs|
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Mode of Application||Online|
This Blog Includes:
What is IIT JAM?
In order to carve a niche in the field of science and technology, engineering as well as research, the Indian Institutes of Technology, on a rotatory basis, conduct a computer-based test called IIT JAM to grant admission to scores of graduates in the coveted IISc Bangalore and various institutes from the list of IITs. Starting in 2004, the exam assesses candidates’ knowledge on various topics based on the subject of their choice [Biotechnology, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, and Physics]. Through this test, candidates can enrol in Integrated PhD programs at IISc and Master of Science, MSc-PhD, etc, at IITs. IIT JAM will consist of 60 questions carrying 100 marks and has to be completed in 3 hours.
Want to pursue an Engineering course abroad but are unsure of the application process? Click Here for a free counselling session to get all your queries cleared!
IIT JAM Eligibility Criteria
Be it JEE Advanced eligibility, JEE Main eligibility or IIT JAM, there are certain set prerequisites for all those seeking admission in the coveted IITs. So, if you also want to know what is the eligibility for IIT JAM then go through the following points:
|Nationality||Indian and well as Non-Indian students can apply.|
|Age Criteria||There is no age bar|
|Educational Qualification||Candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree in one of the
following subjects like Geology, Biotechnology, Mathematics &
Mathematical Statistics. Final-year candidates can also apply.
|Minimum Marks||There is no minimum mark requirement to apply for IIT JAM 2023.|
Along with this, proof of completion of the Qualifying Degree and the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) as specified by the Admitting Institute is required by September 30, 2023.
Must Read: List of IITs
Here are some of the important dates that you should be knowing about IIT JAM 2023:
|IIT JAM 2023 Release of online application||September 7, 2022|
|Deadline for submission of application form||October 14, 2022|
|IIT JAM 2023 Form Correction||November 10 to 30, 2022|
|IIT JAM 2023 Release of admit card||January 10, 2023|
|IIT JAM Exam date 2023||February 12, 2023|
|Announcement of Result||March 22, 2023|
|IIT JAM Counselling Registration 2023||April 11 to 25, 2023|
|Last date for recovery or rectification of defective documents||1st week of May 2023|
|Release of 1st admission list||3rd week of May 2023|
|Release of 2nd admission list||2nd week of May 2023|
|Release of 3rd admission list and final admission||June 2023|
|Closure of admissions||1st week of July 2023|
IIT JAM Syllabus 2023
To score well in any engineering entrance exam, an individual should be well-versed in the syllabus. Knowing the syllabus comprehensively will not only help you identify your strengths and weaknesses but will also help formulate a strategy accordingly. The below-given information will enable you to understand the IIT JAM syllabus.
|Subject Name||Main Topics|
|Biotechnology [Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics]||Microbiology, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Physiology, Instrumental Techniques, Chemistry of Functional Groups, Chemical thermodynamics, Sets, Relations and Functions, Oscillations, Waves, Solids and Semiconductor Devices, etc.|
|Chemistry||Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, etc.|
|Geology||Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Palaeontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, Economic Geology, Applied Geology, etc.|
|Mathematics||Sequences and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of Two Real Variables, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, Group Theory, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis|
|Mathematical Statistics||Sequences and Series, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Matrices, Differential Equations, Statistics, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, Joint Distributions, Sampling distributions, Estimation, Testing of Hypotheses|
|Physics||Mathematical Methods, Mechanics and General Properties of Matter, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, kinetic theory, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics, Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics, Simple Oscillators|
Must Read: Discover Latest IIT Courses
IIT JAM 2023 Exam Pattern
The IIT JAM 2023 exam pattern is as follows:
- Test Papers- Mathematical Statistics, Biotechnology, Geology, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics, and Physics.
- Exam mode: online
- Exam duration: 3 hours
- The number of questions is 60, with 30 in section A, 10 in section B, and 20 in section C.
- English is the medium of instruction for the IIT JAM paper.
- Total Marks-The exam will be worth 100 points.
- Negative Marking: Section A of the IIT JAM will have a negative marking.
- For Section A, a third of a mark will be deducted for each incorrect one-mark answer, and a third of a mark will be deducted for each incorrect two-mark answer;
- For Section B, there will be no negative or partial marking; and
- For Section C, there will be no negative or partial marking.
|Sections||No of Questions||Type of questions||Total marks|
|Section A||30||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)||10 *1 + 20*2= 50|
|Section B||10||Multiple Select Questions (MSQs)||10*2=20|
|Section C||20||Numerical Answer Type||10*1+10*2=30|
Note: You can practice mock tests here
How to Fill out the Application Form?
Here are the steps following which you can fill up the application form for IIT JAM:
- Visit the official website and open the link for the application form
- Candidates must confirm their eligibility before applying for the exam
- Once you have checked it, start filling out the application form
- Do submit the application form with correct and valid details only though the authority will provide the correction facility later.
- Do cross-check all the documents while uploading them on the form
- After checking all the details in the application form, submit it by completing the fee payment
IIT JAM Application Fee
Tabulated below is the application fee for IIT JAM 2023-
|Category||Fee for One Test Paper||Fee for Two Test Papers|
|Female (All Categories)/ SC/ ST/ PwD||Rs.750/-||Rs.1050/-|
IIT JAM 2023 Preparation
Candidates are encouraged to read and implement the following preparation tips in order to thoroughly prepare for IIT JAM 2023:
- While studying for an exam like IIT JAM 2023, where the syllabus is extensive, candidates are advised to create a timetable in order to effectively manage their time.
- It is not recommended to rush through the syllabus. Focus first on understanding the fundamentals because a solid foundation will allow you to handle more complex problems.
- Candidates should not skip revision. It is critical to go over previously completed topics on a daily basis and not leave all revisions until the last minute.
- After you have mastered the topics, you should practise sample papers, mock exams, and previous year’s papers to help you with time management during the exam.
IIT JAM: Exam Analysis
After the exam, the IIT JAM 2023 exam analysis will be posted here. For your convenience, the previous year’s paper-by-paper analysis of IIT JAM is provided below:
|IIT JAM Section||Difficulty Level||Maximum Weightage Topics|
|Physics (PH)||Moderate-High||Electro Dynamics, Quantum Mechanics, Nuclear Physics, and Optics|
|Biotechnology (BT)||Moderate||Microbial cultivation, Microscopy, Chromosomal basis of inheritance, Biogenetics|
|Mathematical Statistics (MS)||Moderate-High||Monotony, Testing of Aptitude, Sequence and Mass Functions|
|Chemistry (CY)||Moderate||Co-ordination Chemistry, MOT, Solid State, Organometallic Chemistry|
|Economics (EN)||Easy-Moderate||Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Statistical analysis, Numerical|
|Mathematics (MA)||Moderate-High||Linear Algebra, Partial Differential Equation, Variables, Calculus|
|Geology (GG)||Moderate||Palaeontology, Planet Earth, Structural Geology|
IIT JAM 2023 Admit Card
Candidates must enter their issued Enrollment ID/Email ID, password, security code, and other credentials in order to download their IIT JAM 2023 Admit Card. If a candidate forgets their enrollment ID or password, they can recover it by clicking the “Forget Enrollment ID or Password” button. Examine the information on the admit card carefully. If there is an error on the admit card, contact the appropriate authorities right away.
Must Read: IIT vs IIIT: Which One to Choose?
IIT JAM 2023 Counselling
The steps outlined below must be taken in order to gain admission to IITs and pass the rigorous selection process.
- Fill Out an Admission Form for IIT JAM Counselling – If candidates qualify in more than one test paper, they must fill out only one admission form, as specified by the conducting authorities. After submitting the duly completed admission form for counselling, a processing fee of INR 600 is required.
- Admission List Announcement – When the admission form submission process is completed, the conducting body IIT Roorkee announces an admission list. Admission offer letters are sent to candidates by the colleges.
- An acceptance form must be submitted along with an advance seat reservation fee:
|Category||Seat Booking Fee|
|General OBC-NCL||INR 10,000|
Must Read: IIT Acceptance Rate
The Joint Admission Test for Masters (JAM) is an annual admission test for admission to Master of Science programmes (M.Sc.)
The eligibility criteria for IIT JAM until 2021 stated that candidates must have a minimum of 55% aggregate or 5.5 CGPA/CPI out of 10 for General/OBC (NCL)/EWS category candidates and 50% aggregate or 5.0 CGPA/CPI for reserved category candidates.
According to the IIT JAM Analysis and expert reviews, JAM 2022 was of moderate difficulty, similar to the 2021 exam.
IIT JAM is thus a golden opportunity for those who want to advance in the field of science and technology. Keeping in mind the wide range of engineering branches available, it can become a daunting task to choose the one which aligns with your skills. Reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu who will help you choose a stream that suits you well.
Thanks for your information and keep posting.
Thanks for your information and keep posting.