IELTS is an internationally recognized English proficiency test that is taken by students applying to universities across the globe. There are 4 parameters under which candidates’ skills are evaluated, namely, listening, reading, speaking, and writing. Since writing is a crucial session in the IELTS test, it is a prerequisite to have in-depth knowledge and practice of letter and essay writing. In this blog, we will be covering important tips for letter writing as well as IELTS sample letters for your understanding.
Check Out: IELTS Sample Essays
This Blog Includes:
IELTS Letter Writing Tips
There are three main types of letter writing. You may have to write, informal, semi-formal and formal letters. We write informal letters to friends and family. Semi-formal letters are meant for colleagues and the formal letter is meant for business dealings, editors etc. There is a proper format for writing IELTS letters. Glance through the tips and guidelines in order to make your IELTS Sample letters worth read!
- Keep your word limit confined to 150 words.
- In a formal letter, you need to write “Yours faithfully” in the end.
- End your semi-formal letter with “Yours Sincerely.
- “Best wishes, Regards” should be used in informal ones.
Since you are exploring IELTS sample letters, you must also check out our blog on How to Ace IELTS Writing Test?
Here are the set of guidelines, you can take note of while writing letters for IELTS examination.
- You need to identify the type of letter.
- Search for the purpose of the letter. The examples of purpose include “Applying for a job, Thanking a friend,” etc.
- Start a letter with a proper beginning. In a formal letter, use proper salutation like Dear Sir/Madam. You can add sentences like “I am writing to bring to your attention…”
- In informal and semi-formal letters, include salutation words like Dear Umer, Dear Zia etc.
- Keep the sentences crisp and with a clear message.
- In your request and suggestions part, include sentences like “I would be grateful if you would…”
- Ensure that the letter does not have any grammatical errors. Also, the formal and informal use of grammar should also be kept in mind.
- The choice of words is also paramount for different types of letters. The tone of a formal letter should be precise without getting too personalised while don’t use academic vocabulary in a personal letter.
- Write in paragraphs and finish it in 150 words. In the ending part, make use of sentences like “I look forward to hearing from you.”
- Structure your letter by dividing it into paragraphs so that it becomes easy to read. It would also help the examiner understand how effectively you can utilise paragraphing.
IELTS Letter Writing: Understanding the Structure
While drafting your IELTS letter, you can organise the structure by yourself but it is important to follow a basic format whether it is a formal or an informal letter. Before providing you with IELTS sample letters, we are first giving you the pointers that you must keep in mind for the structure and paragraphing while writing the letter:
Opening Statement (Introduce the reason for writing this letter)
Body Paragraph A & B (Explain the given situation in detail)
Body Paragraph C (Elaborate on the final point before wrapping up)
Closing statement (if required)
Signing off (Yours faithfully, Yours sincerely, etc.)
Take Our Exclusive IELTS Sample Test!
IELTS Sample Letters
IELTS Sample Letter: Question 1
Write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper. In your letter describe you want to apply as a multimedia news reporter, explain why you want to be part of the organisation and also tell about your education qualification.
I am writing to inform you that I have am an avid reader of your prestigious newspaper. There is not a single day that goes by without reading your newspaper stories and in-depth articles.
Sir, being a news enthusiast, and coming from a journalism background, I have a personal desire to work in your esteemed organisation as a multimedia news reporter. I am familiar with the modern convergence of media and dynamism of print media, electronic media, narrative journalism as well as components of new media.
It has been a wonderful learning experience working in online news environments at various other organisations. However, I believe one should chase their dreams and update their skills utilising the modern way of learning, which is the reason I chose your organisation for applying for the position of Multimedia Journalist.
I look forward to hearing from you.
IELTS Sample Letters: Question 2
You borrowed an important textbook from a classmate. You now realize your classmate has left for his hometown and you still have his book. Write a letter to him/her. In your letter:
- Apologize for not returning the book on time.
- Find out how important the book is to him/her
- Say what you will do in order to return the book.
|Dear Khalid Khar
Hope you are doing well. It has been a month since you moved to your home town. Although it’s such a short time since we saw each other, it feels much longer.
I remembered yesterday that I borrowed the Guinness Book of World Record last year from you during our final college semester. Since then, the book has been with me and I am extremely sorry for not returning it on time because I spent the final months of the semester pursuing an internship.
Let me know if you are planning to stay for longer in your hometown. I will send you the book through courier as I understand that this is one of your personal favourites.
Take care and write back soon!
[Bonus] Sample Letters
Apart from the above IELTS sample letters, here are some additional letter-writing topics that can be helpful for you!
|Motivational Letter||Internship Request Letter|
|How to write a Joining Letter?||Sponsorship Letter|
|Resignation Letter for Higher Studies||Formal Letter Format|
Hope this blog on IELTS sample letters helped you gain a comprehensive understanding of writing letters with precision. We at Leverage Edu have the best IELTS faculty for online preparation of the exam. Ranging from high-quality study material to doubt clearance, we do it all to help students get a high score in IELTS. Get in touch with us to get a high IELTS score!