The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is amongst the commonly accepted English language proficiency test for admissions into top universities in US, UK, Canada, amongst others. IELTS exam is classified into two types, i.e. IELTS General Training and IELTS Academic. Further, it aims to evaluate candidates on their reading, speaking, listening and writing skills in English. Through this blog, we aim to IELTS sample essays and a detailed guide on their structure and format you should adhere to ace this exam with a higher band score.
This Blog Includes:
IELTS Sample Essays: Types of Essay Questions
Listed below are the popular type of IELTS essay questions-
- Agree or Disagree Type
- Discuss Two Opinions Type
- Cause and Effect Type
- Problems & Solutions Type
- Advantage & Disadvantages Type
How to Write an IELTS Essay?
It is believed the key to improving one’s writing skills is to become a voracious reader. There is immense importance of reading in helping you improve your writing style as well as vocabulary. Moreover, it can also help you write impressive IELTS essays that showcase your flair for writing and familiarisation with grammar rules. Before providing you with some helpful IELTS sample essays, take a look at the format you must adhere to while writing one.
|Introduction||Before beginning with your answer, understand the question thoroughly. Then, begin with a crisp introduction on the topic.
Present a basic overview on the topic and briefly provide your opinion.
|Justify your viewpoint||Once you have provided a basic outline for the topic, the next paragraph should elucidate upon your viewpoints and thoughts on the topic.
Mention why you have formed a certain opinion about a particular topic and explain your viewpoint in detail.
|Extend your viewpoint and exploring
|This part will depict your ability in balancing your in-depth analysis of the topic.
Try exploring other opinions while adhering to what you think about the main idea.
|Conclusion (Summarisation)||Summarise your entire argument with a proper conclusion.|
IELTS Sample Essays
IELTS Essay Sample 1
|According to you, what are the major problems due to which developed countries have become the major contributors to global warming? What are the main problems leading to global warming?
As per my opinion, rapid industrialization and urbanization are hazardous for the environment. While developing countries were the main contributors to global warming, it is unfortunate that developed nations are following the suit. The conversion of greener lands into residential areas lead to deforestation while the reckless discharge of industrial wastes resulted in a hazardous impact on our natural resources. Greenhouse gases majorly include water vapour, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide and fluorinated gases. Amongst these, carbon dioxide contributes up to 60% of the greenhouse gases which has resulted in the disturbance of the carbon cycle and global warming.
Since developed countries are the role model for developing nations, they must realise the harm they are doing to our planet and why it is important to take a thought-out approach in combating the same. Many prominent environmentalists have played an imperative role in spreading awareness about climate change. Sustainable development and environmental conservation have become the need of the hour. The world needs to understand the repercussions of climate change on the planet earth and how we can take effective measures to minimise it and secure our future generations from
IELTS Essay Sample 2
|Do you believe that celebrities are ill-treated by the media or it is the price they have to pay for their stardom? Regardless of fame, should their privacy be respected or not?
As the digital age dawned upon us, the emergence of social media platforms prominently changed the way we communicate as well as perceive the whole world around us. While the lives of celebrities have always intertwined with media, they are often mistreated by media outlets especially tabloids that tamper with their right to privacy. The media coverage of a celebrity essentially shapes how they are perceived by the public and it is often said that media holds the power to bring an individual to fame.
In my opinion, the ill-treatment of celebrities by media outlets is quite prevalent. While many believe that it might be the price of being famous, the media still holds the responsibility to give every celebrity that right to protect their private lives. Many famous personalities might utilise the media coverage to maintain a certain image, it still does not equalise to the capacity of manipulation the mass media holds. I definitely support the argument that regardless of fame, every individual’s privacy should be respected. Celebrities are also human beings and feel the same emotions regardless of how famous they are. With social media becoming a significant part of everyone’s lives, we have more access to follow our favourite celebrity closely as compared to earlier times. On the other hand, celebrities should also be aware of their use of social media and how they are impacting their fans.
To conclude, it is true that media outlets mistreat and tamper with the privacy of celebrities to fulfil their own selfish motives. It is important that every news media outlet follows journalistic ethics and presents its news reports in a fair and objective manner while also ensuring that they are treating celebrities with respect keeping in mind that they also have the right to secure their privacy in the way they want to.
IELTS Writing Section: Tips & Tricks
Along with familiarizing yourself with the format of IELTS essay writing, take a look at the useful tips that can assist you in crafting an impressive one.
- Understand the topic and make an outline of your essay after reading the question.
- Construct the cohesive ideas related to the topic.
- Divide your essay in the form of cohesive and structured paragraphs.
- Make sure that there are no grammatical mistakes or spelling errors.
- It is important to keep in mind that the tone of an essay for IELTS might differ as per the type of test. For instance, it is better to adhere to a formal tone while writing for IELTS academic essay while for IELTS General Training, you can adopt a formal, semi-formal or even personal writing style depending upon the topic you are writing on.
While going through the IELTS Sample Essays, you must also check out IELTS Essay Topics!
IELTS Sample Essays Writig Topics
- Some people think that illegal Internet downloads are having a negative effect on the music industry. Others feel that they have little or no impact on artists. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Doing an enjoyable activity with a child can develop better skills and more creativity than reading. To what extent do you agree? Use reasons and specific examples to explain your answer.
- Some people think that new houses should be built in the same style as the older houses in an area. Others believe that the government should allow people to build houses in the style they want. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car.
- Some people think that exams are a good way of assessing a student’s level. Other people believe that they put unnecessary pressure on young learners and tell us very little about their actual ability. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of living in the city to living in the country side.
- Some people like to spend their leisure time with their colleagues. Others think it is better to keep their private life separate from their work life. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Convenience foods will become increasingly prevalent and eventually replace traditional foods and methods of preparation. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people today prefer to get advice for medical problems and do not want to visit a doctor. Why is this? Is this a positive or a negative development?
- To succeed in a business, one needs to know maths.To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Writing Tasks Sample Papers
|Academic Writing Sample Papers||General Training Writing Sample Papers|
|Academic Writing Sample Task 1||General Training Writing Sample Task 1|
|Academic Writing Sample Task 1||General Training Writing Sample Task 1|
|Academic Writing Sample Task 1||General Training Writing Sample Task 2|
|Academic Writing Sample Task 2||General Training Writing Sample Task 2|
|Academic Writing Sample Task 2|
Hence, the aforementioned IELTS Sample Essays will certainly help you in acing the writing section of the exam. Needless to say, devising a proper strategy for an exam like IELTS is important to successfully crack it. Book an online demo session with our Leverage Edu experts and we will guide you throughout your IELTS preparations, providing you with useful tips and study materials to ensure that you achieve a higher band score and actualise your dream of studying abroad.