The IELTS or the International English Language Testing System is among the most popular English proficiency tests accepted by universities around the world. A large number of students in India appear for this test each year to qualify for studying their preferred degree abroad. But this year, due to the lockdown and travel restrictions in place due to the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic, students have been unable to reach the test centers to appear for their exams. As a solution to this, the British Council has launched the IELTS Indicator test which is an online IELTS test.
This Blog Includes:
What is the IELTS Indicator?
The IELTS indicator is a temporary measure introduced by the British Council with the aim to allow students to test their English language skills without having to visit the IELTS test center. The test will, similar to the IELTS, examine your writing, speaking, reading, and listening skills in English, and provide an indicative score within a week of taking the exam, which can be used for gaining admission to universities abroad. Since not all universities are accepting the IELTS Indicator scores for admissions presently, students are advised to check in advance whether the university is accepting indicative scores or not.
Also Read: How to Prepare for IELTS?
How to Appear for the Test?
You need to register for the test by visiting the website of the British Council by choosing a date and time and paying a fee of $149 (INR 11,400). The instructions and login details for taking the test will be sent to your registered E-mail ID, and you have to follow the instruction to be able to appear for the test. The test can only be taken on a laptop or computer, and it is advisable to ensure that you have a good internet connection while taking the test.
What are the Benefits of IELTS Indicator?
- The IELTS Indicator test will allow you to assess your listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills.
- While IELTS testing has been suspended in some areas, you can do the IELTS Indicator at home or online.
- IELTS Indicator is used by many universities and educational institutions for application purposes.
- IELTS Indicator is a reliable authentic IELTS product.
For Universities and Education Providers
- It’s a terrific approach to assess your prospective students’ listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills in English.
- The IELTS Indicator test contains official IELTS test questions and is graded by qualified IELTS examiners using IELTS test standards.
- It’s only available for a limited period in places where IELTS testing has been halted due to Covid-19.
Follow, like and subscribe Leverage IELTS for more such updates
What will you need for your IELTS Indicator Test?
- A comfortable and quiet environment
- A laptop or desktop computer (Mac or PC only; the IELTS Indicator cannot be taken on a mobile device)
- A machine that satisfies the system’s minimum and recommended criteria
- An internet connection that is reliable
- Inspera Exam Portal (IEP) should be installed
- Headphones (wired or wireless) (for good sound quality during your Listening test)
- A fully functional web webcam Zoom application for your laptop
Related Read: How to Crack IELTS In 3 Months?
Leverage Edu Rockstars
It provides indicative scores and is not accepted by every university.
The main difference between IELTS and IELTS Indicator scores is that you will receive an indicative score for the IELTS Indicator test. This shows that the score is representative of the score you would have received if you had taken the test in an IELTS test center.
Any test taker who wishes to continue the application process with their university or educational institution while IELTS testing is suspended.
The IELTS Indicator test lasts the same amount of time as the IELTS exam. The Listening test lasts 30 minutes, followed by the Reading test, which lasts 60 minutes. The Writing test lasts for 60 minutes. The duration of the Speaking test is between 11 and 14 minutes.
The IELTS Indicator test scores are currently accepted in a number of universities in the USA, the UK, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia. Preparing for IELTS? Get in touch with Leverage Live to avail personalized online live classes, premium study materials, and doubt clearance sessions by best-in-class IELTS experts! Don’t forget to check out our exclusive Leverage Edu IELTS blogs to ace your exam!