We all know that many international universities around the world require English Language Proficiency scores as a part of the admission process, especially for those who are non-native English language speakers. IELTS or International English Language Testing System is one of the world’s most popular English proficiency tests which is designed to test a candidate’s command and proficiency of the English language. Explore this blog to find out everything that you need to know about IELTS India, its format, important exam dates, exam patterns, and some useful preparation tips.
This Blog Includes:
- IELTS India: An Overview
- Few Things You Should Know About IELTS?
- Why is IELTS Exam Important?
- Types of IELTS Exams
- Eligibility Criteria for IELTS India
- Registration Procedure for IELTS India
- Fees and Payment for IELTS India
- IELTS Exam Dates in India
- IELTS India Exam Format
- IELTS India Syllabus
- IELTS India Results and Scores
- British Council vs IDP IELTS India
- IELTS vs TOEFL
- Best IELTS Books in India
- IELTS Test Centres in India
- Tips to Crack the IELTS Exam
- Prepare for IELTS India with Leverage Live
- IELTS Sample Questions
- IELTS Success Stories
IELTS India: An Overview
|Full-Form||International English Language Testing System|
|Conducting Body||British Council and IDP IELTS|
|Mode of Exam||Online and Offline|
|Variants||IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training|
|Sections||Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking|
|Duration||2 hours and 45 minutes|
|Registration Fee||INR 15,500|
|Validity||2 years from the test date|
Few Things You Should Know About IELTS?
International applicants who intend to study or work in a nation where English is the primary language of communication must take the IELTS exam, which is a test of their English language proficiency. The UK, Australia, New Zealand, the USA, and Canada are the most common nations where IELTS is recognised for university admissions. Listening, reading, speaking, and writing are the four fundamental English language abilities that the exam primarily assesses in test takers. IDP Education Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment jointly own and administer the IELTS exam.
Both computer-based and paper-based IELTS are available. The Listening, Writing, and Reading parts of the IELTS are completed on computers by test takers who choose the computer-based exam option. The Speaking examination, however, is administered face-to-face with a qualified examiner. One has a greater selection of exam dates and quicker results with the computer-based IELTS. If they want to take the IELTS on paper, test-takers will use HB pencils or pens to complete the Reading, Writing, and Listening parts on paper. The Speaking examination, however, is done face-to-face with an experienced IELTS examiner.
Why is IELTS Exam Important?
The IELTS exam is very important for those who wish to seek admission to universities situated in countries with English as their native language. The IELTS exam is proof of your command of the English language. Many International Universities require students to submit their IELTS scores while seeking admission because they need to assess the candidate’s capability of keeping up with their program’s main medium of instruction, i.e, English. Also, different universities have their minimum score criteria and candidates must check the criteria before applying.
Types of IELTS Exams
IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training are the two distinct exam kinds. The speaking and listening portions of both of these examinations are the same, but depending on which test one takes, the writing and reading portions are different. The IELTS test is administered on the same day for the three components—reading, writing, and listening—and there are no gaps in between. The Speaking component, however, can be finished a week earlier or after the other tests. This knowledge test is accessible from your test location.
- Academic IELTS Test: Those who apply for higher education or professional registration abroad take the IELTS Academic exam.
- General IELTS Exam: People who want to immigrate to major English-speaking nations like Canada, Australia, and the UK take the IELTS General Test. Additionally, people who wish to participate in secondary education or training programmes or who want to get work experience in a nation where English is the primary language of communication take this test.
Eligibility Criteria for IELTS India
The eligibility criteria for students who wish to give the IELTS India exam are as follows:
- The minimum IELTS exam age limit in India is 16 years old.
- The candidate must possess a valid and non-expired passport.
- The IELTS exam is mandatory for those who are planning to immigrate to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the UK.
- The IELTS exam is mandatory for students who wish to study in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the USA, the UK, and other countries.
- Medical professionals who plan to study or work in Australia, UK, and the USA.
Note: The minimum IELTS score varies from one university to another. Students must inquire about the minimum score criteria before applying for admission.
Registration Procedure for IELTS India
Students must first register for the IELTS India exam to book their test appointment slots. You can find below the steps to register and book a slot for your IELTS exam in India :
- First, log in to www.ieltsidpindia.com and select the option ‘Register for IELTS’.
- Select your preferred test: CBT IELTS/ PBT (IELTS, IELTS for UKVI, or Life Skills).
- Select your test type/module, which is Academic or General Training for IELTS.
- Choose the test date and test city, which will be shown as per the availability.
- You must also compulsorily upload a clear scanned copy of your Passport.
- Complete the online application and pay the test fee via credit card (Master or Visa).
- After successful registration, you will get a notification regarding your booked slot and other important details about, the exam.
Registration at the Nearest IDP Branch Office (In-Person)
- After locating the nearest IDP Branch office, the candidate must register online using the office computer and make the online payment of his test fees. You will get immediate confirmation of your seat.
- Submit a photocopy of your Passport (first and last page) and other observation pages along with the terms and conditions document which is duly signed by you.
- Finally, take the instant acknowledgement letter confirming your seat in the test.
Fees and Payment for IELTS India
The candidate can pay the fees in two ways, which depend on the mode of registration, i.e, online or offline. The IELTS payment options in India are as follows :
- The candidate can make the payment via both a debit card and a credit card. Net Banking or through PayTM Wallet.
- In case of offline registration, the candidate can pay via a Demand Draft or an ICICI/HDFC deposit slip.
The IELTS India test fee is as follows:
|Computer Based Test||INR 15,500|
|Paper-Based Test||INR 15,500|
|IELTS for UKVI||INR 15,750|
|IELTS Life Skills Test||INR 14,600|
IELTS Cancellation Fees
- You will get a refund of less a 25% administrative fee if you cancel your IELTS application more than five weeks before the test date.
- You won’t get a refund if you cancel your IELTS exam fewer than five weeks before the test date.
- In the event that you do not take the test, there will be no return given. This is likewise regarded as a cancellation.
- After deducting the local administrative fee, those who can present a medical certificate within five days after the test date are eligible for reimbursement.
IELTS Reschedule Fees
After deducting your cancellation/postponement fee, you can request a test day transfer if you need to modify your test date at least five weeks prior to the already scheduled test date. Ensure that the new test date must fall three months or less after the initial test date. For the change in test date, candidates must pay an administrative fee of INR 3,300 inclusive of all taxes.
IELTS Exam Dates in India
The official institution in charge of administering the IELTS is IDP India. There are several opportunities throughout the year to take the IELTS exam. Candidates are recommended to choose an IELTS exam date in 2022 that works best for them while keeping in mind the deadlines for applying to universities. To avoid any last-minute mistakes, students planning to take the IELTS are recommended to select a test date three to four months before to the application deadline. The IELTS exam is offered in several of India’s major cities.
IELTS India Exam Format
The IELTS India exam pattern consists of four sections. They are as follows:
|IELTS Listening Test||30 minutes|
|IELTS Reading Test||60 minutes|
|IELTS Writing Test||60 minutes|
|IELTS Speaking Test||11-14 minutes|
Additionally, the IELTS Life Skills Test is available at three-level which are as follows :
- IELTS Life Skills: A1 Speaking and Listening
- IELTS Life Skills: A2 Speaking and Listening
- IELTS Life Skills: B1 Speaking and Listening
Under the IELTS Life Skills Test, the candidate will take the test with an examiner as well as with another candidate.
IELTS India Syllabus
You can find a detailed syllabus of the IELTS India exam below:
The listening section consists of four sections which are as follows:
- A conversation between two people is set in an everyday context.
- A monologue that is also set in an everyday context.
- A group conversation between people in an educational or training context.
- A monologue on any academic subject.
This section contains a total of 40 questions. The IELTS Academic Reading Test includes the following:
- Reading three long texts which may range from descriptive and factual texts to discursive and analytical text.
- The text may be taken from a variety of sources such as journals, newspapers, and magazines.
The IELTS General Reading Test includes:
- Just like the IELTS Academic Reading Test, the General Reading Test also includes three long texts with a variety of tasks.
- The texts may be taken from sources such as newspapers, journals, notices, company handbooks, and guidelines. Basically any material that you may encounter in a normal English-speaking environment.
The IELTS Academic Writing Test includes two main tasks:
- Task 1: The candidate will be presented with a graph, table, chart, or diagram and they will be required to summarize, describe or explain it in their own words.
- Task 2: The candidate will also be required to write an essay in response to an argument, problem, or point-of-view. Both the tasks must be written formally.
The IELTS General Writing Test includes two tasks:
- Task 1: The candidate will be given a situation in response to which they are required to write a letter, asking for further information, or explaining the situation. The style of the letter may be semi-formal, formal, or personal (informal).
- Task 2: The candidate will also be required to write an essay in response to an argument, problem, or point-of-view. However, this essay can be personal instead of being formal.
The IELTS India Speaking Test includes three tasks:
- Task 1: The candidate will be asked basic questions related to their family, interest, hobbies, studies, and work. It usually lasts up to 4-5 minutes.
- Task 2: The candidate will be given a card with a topic name. The candidate needs to speak on that particular topic for up to 2 minutes after having a preparation time of 1 min. At the end of the task, the examiner may ask 1-2 questions on the topic.
- Task 3: This is more of a discussion round and an extension of the second task. Here, the candidate will be asked more questions by the examiner based on the previous topic.
Note: In some test centres, the Speaking test can either be given on the same day or up to 7 days before or after the date of your test. In the case of CBT IELTS, the Speaking test will be taken either before or after the other sections of the exam.
IELTS India Results and Scores
The scoring range for the IELTS India exam is between 0-9. The scoring range corresponds to the skill level of the candidate which may range from the expert user (9) to Non-User (1).
The expected dates for the IELTS IDP or IELTS India exam results are as follows:
- In the case of the CBT IELTS exam, the candidates can expect the results online within 3 to 5 days after their test date.
- In the case of the PBT IELTS exam, the candidates can expect the results online on the 13th day after the test.
- Candidates who have attempted the IELTS skill-based test, they can expect the results on the 7th day after the test.
Please note that you will be notified when your test results arrive via email or by your test centre. Also, the IELTS India certificate validity is up to 2 years only.
British Council vs IDP IELTS India
There is considerable debate among students when it comes to the British Council vs IDP IELTS India. On the contrary, there is not much difference between the two. Both the British Council and IDP are joint owners and official conducting bodies of the IELTS exam.
The candidates get the same test regardless of the British Council or the IDP because they do not write the test but only conduct them. All the tests used at the British Council and IDP are compiled by Cambridge English Language Assessment which is one of the joint owners of IELTS. Not to mention, all the examiners for both the British Council and IDP are trained in the same way and follow the same guidelines.
However, one noticeable difference is the difference in infrastructure. The IDP program has more centres in India helping students with the IELTS exam than the British Council.
IELTS vs TOEFL
Since colleges abroad require either exam result, international students frequently struggle with deciding between IELTS and TOEFL. It is up to the test taker to choose one of the two examinations to take, but keep in mind that IELTS is more recommended in countries like the UK, Australia, and New Zealand while TOEFL is more common among students applying to universities in countries like the US and Canada.
Read: Difference Between IELTS and TOEFL
Best IELTS Books in India
If you’re planning to attempt the IELTS India exam, you will require a range of good and sought-after study material which includes online coaching, academic books, and offline tutoring. Some of the best IELTS books that you can refer to are enlisted below:
|Books||Links to buy|
|The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS||Buy here|
|Barron’s IELTS Superpack||Buy here|
|Mometrix IELTS Book for General Training and Academic 2021 – 2022||Buy here|
|Check Your English Vocabulary for IELTS||Buy here|
|Simone Braverman’s Target Band 7||Buy here|
|Focus on IELTS Foundation: Foundation Coursebook||Buy here|
|Cambridge IELTS 15 Academic Student’s Book with Answers||Buy here|
IELTS Test Centres in India
The IELTS exam is offered in more than 67 test cities across India. However, the Computer-Based and Paper IELTS Test is only conducted in specific test centres across India. Some of the major cities in which IELTS is conducted in India are mentioned below:
- Navi Mumbai
- New Delhi-South
- New Delhi-West
- Raikot – Punjab
- Rajkot – Gujarat
- Sri Ganganagar
- Sri Muktsar Sahib
- Thimphu (Bhutan)
Tips to Crack the IELTS Exam
It is always better to be prepared well in advance before giving your IELTS Exam. You can below a list of items that can help you crack the IELTS India exam successfully:
- Mock Tests: Before you attempt your IELTS exam, you should always attempt some practice tests that will give you an idea of your strengths and weaknesses. It will also give you an understanding of how the test is and what to expect on the test date.
- Know the Test Format: Be aware of the test format. You need to familiarise yourself with the pattern of the IELTS exam as well as the various tasks that come under four main sections.
- Be Aware of the Time: Each section has a time limit and it is important to adhere to the time limit. Keep on practising the mock test till you complete the various sections within the allotted time.
- Improve your English: It is important to simultaneously improve your English while you are preparing for your IELTS Exam. Hence while your score may improve, you may forget to practice your English properly. Hence you must speak, read and listen to some practise English-speaking materials such as podcasts, videos, and books.
- Using Proper English Terms: While it may be tempting to use slang words while attempting the test, it is important to remember that you should only use formal, appropriate, assertive English terms and grammar.
Prepare for IELTS India with Leverage Live
Leverage Live, powered by Leverage Edu, is a one-of-a-kind standardized test prep platform that offers online A-class preparation courses for IELTS, GMAT, GRE and SAT. A slew of formalities, such as qualifying competitive tests, permits, time-consuming selection procedures, and so on, sometimes accompany the concept of studying abroad. The most important thing is to qualify for the appropriate language proficiency exam based on the university’s and your research destination’s requirements.
IELTS Sample Questions
|Sample 1||Click here|
|Sample 2||Click here|
|Sample 3||Click here|
|Sample 4||Click here|
|Sample 5||Click here|
|Sample 6||Click here|
|Sample 7||Click here|
|Sample 8||Click here|
IELTS Success Stories
Leverage Live, which has been a part of many remarkable IELTS Success Stories, provides you with one-touch access to top industry experts, best-in-class study material and preparation resources, and an interactive class experience that includes live sessions, a personal dashboard, and more to guide you towards the score you desire!
The official website of IELTS IDP is: www.ieltsidpindia.com
The official customer care number is 1800-102-4544.
You can also email your doubts at: email@example.com.
The Revaluation or re-mark fee for IELTS in India is INR 8,475.
The validity for IELTS Certificate is 2 years only.
IDP IELTS Test Centres India administers tests that are available on 48 fixed dates a year – up to four times a month, depending on local demand.
For IELTS and IELTS Life Skills, test dates will be available within 28 days of booking your test.
So this is everything that you need to know about the IELTS India Exam. If you’re planning to give the exam shortly, you can reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu to build a strong preparation plan that can help you ace your IELTS exam and score well!