Think like a thief to catch a thief! With the increase in cyber criminals and cyberbullying, it is very essential that there comes a wave of ethical hackers to eradicate, or hopefully lessen the crimes. Wondering how to become an Ethical Hacker? Don’t know where to begin with? Then you must read this blog to discover ways of becoming an Ethical Hacker as well as different types of hacking, popular courses, top universities and awesome careers.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Ethical Hacking?
- Types of Hackers
- How to Become an Ethical Hacker?
- Skills Required
- Eligibility, Courses and Universities
- Jobs and Salary of an Ethical Hacker
- Ethical Hacker Jobs
- Ethical Hacking Hardware Tools
- [BONUS] Best Books for Ethical Hackers
What is Ethical Hacking?
Hacking means unauthorized utilization of someone’s private computer or their social networks. The word ‘hacking’ has progressively become synonymous with the term ‘cybercriminal’ because of its illicit portrayal in mainstream media. Ethical Hacking means the practice and use of hacking without having any wicked intent. Ethical Hackers do not damage or exploit the information, rather they help companies, government originations and private sectors who are vulnerable. Since Ethical Hackers use the same tools and techniques as the trespassers, it is essential to know how to become an ethical hacker by using legal means.
Also Read: Penetration Testing Certification
Types of Hackers
If given access to every person’s data in the world and the power to use their information, what would you do? It is important to know how to become an ethical hacker and draw the line between hacking and misusing information. Since it completely depends on the person’s intention on how to utilize the data, the topic of Ethical Hacking and even choosing to be an Ethical Hacker is deemed controversial. There isn’t a sorting hat to determine the category a hacker will belong to, rather their own intention and will comes into play. Let’s have a look at different types of Hackers:
- Black hat hackers: They are the evil bad guys you watch in movies. These hackers are highly skilled and use their abilities to misuse information, enter into others’ systems illegally or steal valuable information for personal interest or monetary purposes.
- White hat hackers: These people use their potential in an ethical manner or to fight ‘The Matrix’. They work in the national security department to help solve and investigate crimes. They enter the company’s system legally to identify weaknesses and faults and improve the security framework.
- Grey Hat hackers: These people are- as the name suggests- in the grey zone of hacking. They are the vigilantes of the society. They are often termed as ‘Hacktivists’ and use the information like the black hat hackers, but without any cruel intent. These people provide justice to people and punish criminals by operating outside the legal zone and without the consent of people.
How to Become an Ethical Hacker?
Here is how you can become an ethical hacker:
Education and Courses
Most of the students hold a bachelor’s degree in (BSc, B Tech, BE or BCA) in Information Technology or Computer Science. However, these are a few major certifications that are specific to ethical hacking.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP).
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Computer Hacking and Forensic investigator (CHFI)
- Offensive SecurityWireless Professional (OSWP)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
Work on Coding Languages
Apart from the above-mentioned courses, build your base in the following areas and keep practicing to enhance your speed and accuracy:
|Linux Distro for Hacking||Kali LinuxParrot Security OSBackBoxBlackArch LinuxFedora Security SpinCaine|
|Programming||Learn the essential coding languages like Python/Ruby, C++, and PHP. Other Programming languages include Lisp, Perl, Visual Basic, Scratch, APL, PL/M.|
|Databases||Work on MySQL and MSSQL. Explore and make your own database to know its functions.|
Build your Network
After gaining a strong ground in the educational sector of ethical hacking, look for jobs, mentorship, teaching, or even assist a professional ethical hacker. This will help you understand the actual application and will also teach you several soft/hard skills necessary for ethical hacking.
Ethical hacking largely depends on your skills and practice more than the education. Here are a few skills required for you to begin:
- Master your programming and computer skills
- Good knowledge of functions of the database system management (DBSM)
- Be well versed with the operating systems such as Linux and Windows
- Critical thinking
- Technical problem solving
- Understanding security protocols
- Ability to prevent and protect your computer system against intruders
Eligibility, Courses and Universities
Despite having basic skills and having informal knowledge about how to become an ethical hacker, it is essential for you to get certified for working in firms which provide a theoretical perspective about the subject. A bachelor’s degree in (BSc, B Tech, BE or BCA) in Information Technology or Computer Science is required for a person to be eligible for pursuing Ethical Hacking. Various online programs and certifications cater to the fields of ethical hacking.
Top Universities in the World
- University Of Southern California
- PSB Academy
- Johns Hopkins University
- Dakota State University
- Georgetown University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Abertay University
- Boston University
- Stevens Institution Of Technology
- New York University
Top Universities in India
- Jetking Infotrain Ltd, Mumbai
- IANT, Ahmedabad
- IIMS, Bengaluru
- Lucideus Tech Pvt. Ltd., Delhi
- Pristine InfoSolutions, Mumbai
- NIELIT, Srinagar
- NIELIT, Chandigarh
- ACTS CDAC, Software Training and Development Centre, Thiruvananthapuram.
- S.S. Jain Subodh Pg College, Jaipur
In order to become an Ethical Hacker, one needs to satisfy certain basic requirements. These are likely to differ across universities and countries. If you have a particular course in ming then Leverage Edu experts are here to help you start the application process. Otherwise, you can have a look at the general conditions to study abroad for Indian students:
- You must have studies Science in class 12th
- A good knowledge of Computer Science and programming languages
- SAT or ACT scores for UG applicants, GRE scores for PG candidates
- IELTS, TOEFL or any other English proficiency test as per the university you are applying for.
Also Read: Cyber Security Courses
Jobs and Salary of an Ethical Hacker
The requirement for ethical hackers has increased considerably due to the vast virtual world that exists. Ethical hackers are employed across industries, Government organizations, Military, Law enforcement agencies and private sectors. The average salary of an Ethical Hacker is ₹501,191 as per Payscale. Ethical hackers also earn through individual engagement and consultation which credits them $15,000 to $45,000 (11,24,000 INR-33,72,000 INR) per session.
Ethical Hacker Jobs
Ethical hackers are widely required in almost every company owing to the digitalization of business sectors. The following are a few careers for an ethical hacker:
- Digital Forensics
- Chief Information Security Officer
- Chief Privacy Officer
- Security Administrator
- Penetration Tester
- Security Software Developer
- Security Specialist
- Security Code Auditor
- Security Engineer
- Security Analyst
- Security Consultant
- Security Architect
- Malware Analyst
- Computer Forensics
- Data Protection Officer
- Cybercrime Investigator
- Security Incident Responder
- Risk Manager
Ethical Hacking Hardware Tools
To become an adept hacker, you must always keep a wide range of the latest hardware tools to get your work easily done. The following are a few sites to find the necessary hardware tools that can help you.
[BONUS] Best Books for Ethical Hackers
Keep building up on your knowledge and skills and practice them. Assist people who possess these skills and enrol for various internship programmes to know the right way to engage in hacking. A few books that will surely come handy to build expertise on how to become an ethical hacker:
- Hacking: The Art of Exploitation by Jon Erikson.
- Penetration Testing – A Hands-On Introduction to Hacking by Georgia Weidman.
- Hacking: A Beginners’ Guide to Computer Hacking, Basic Security, Ethical Hacking, and Penetration Testing by John Slavio.
As the world today engages in the computer-simulated reality, hacking has become widespread with its universal access to the internet. If you are sceptical about any aspect or process regarding how to become an Ethical Hacker, we’re here to help you. Get in touch with Leverage Edu experts and kickstart your career.