Software Engineers are required in multiple fields and almost all domains. The website you are currently scrolling through, the search engine or application you used to launch it, all of these have been engineered by people to give you a smooth search. These engineers are the people behind the creation of our favourite apps, from Netflix to Zomato. If you feel intrigued by some apps and hope to develop one yourself someday, then the perfect career option for you is to become a Software Engineer. Not sure how you can become one? Keep reading this blog article till the end to learn about how to become a software engineer.
Anyone can build a bridge, but it takes an engineer to build a bridge that stands!
This Blog Includes:
- What does a Software Engineer do?
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Become a Software Engineer
- How to Become a Software Engineer after 12th?
- How to become a Software Engineer after 10th?
- Software Engineering Subjects
- Skills Required
- Role of a Software Engineer
- Top Universities for Software Engineering Courses Abroad
- Top Colleges for Software Engineering Courses in India
- Software Engineering Jobs
- Highest Salary of Software Engineer in India
What does a Software Engineer do?
The main job of these professionals is to develop different software and systems for a company or business. They plan and develop different products including web applications, mobile apps, operating systems, games, desktop applications, etc. Being a successful Software Engineer requires some essential skills that include knowledge of coding and computer programming. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are also among the skills which can make you efficient in this field.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Become a Software Engineer
Start from the School Level
Your preparation for how to become a Software Engineer starts as early as your school level. One of the mandatory requirements is to take up the science stream after your 10th board. You should make sure that you have a good grasp of all the basic topics taught in the science subjects since that is essential for being eligible to pursue a higher educational degree in this field after school. Also, you will need good marks in the science subjects so that you can meet the minimum requirements of studying at one of the best universities for your further studies.
Get a Bachelor’s Degree
The most important step is to get a bachelor’s degree in this area or a related field. Since not all universities offer bachelor’s degrees in software engineering, it is a good idea to go for a bachelor’s in computer science, since it is a specialized field under computer science. A bachelor’s in computer science is a duration of 4 years and will cover all the essential topics that you need to master to become a software engineer. Although you can become a software engineer even by pursuing a diploma in the relevant field, getting a bachelor’s is a good idea since top companies often prefer hiring candidates who have at least a bachelor’s degree.
Internships can help you put your skills into practice. Make sure to grasp as many internship opportunities as you can while you are pursuing your undergraduate degree or even after completing it. These internships will provide you with a much-needed understanding of the different tasks that are performed by them and help you attain success in your future endeavours. It will also give you a comparative advantage over other candidates when you apply for jobs.
Keep Adding to Your Skills
Although a bachelor’s degree in computer science will make you eligible to become a software engineer, you need to keep upgrading your skills to not only have an advantage over other candidates but also to make yourself ready for varied job positions. Learning different programming languages such as Python, C++, Java, etc. can give you a competitive edge over others. Another way to develop your skills is to try your hand at creating new software – this will let you put your knowledge into practical use. Also, you can also opt for a higher degree in software engineering to open up further job opportunities.
Apply for Jobs
The final and most important step towards how to become a software engineer is to start applying for jobs. You need to craft a perfect resume highlighting all your skills and experience to be considered the perfect candidate for the software engineering job. Initially, you might have to settle for a job at a smaller company, but as you keep gathering experience and building on your skills, you can soon rise up to get a position at your dream company.
Also Read: Career Objective for Software Engineer
How to Become a Software Engineer after 12th?
Software engineering courses after 12th – B.Tech Computer Science –
- 10+2 with physics, chemistry, and mathematics.
- Minimum 50% marks in class 12.
- Entrance exam (national level, state level, or university-specific) for admission to college.
Software engineering courses after 12th – B.Tech Software Engineering –
- Passed a recognized board’s class 12 scientific stream (physics, chemistry, and math as obligatory courses).
- In class 10+2, you must have received a minimum of 60%.
- Admission to colleges is determined by a national entrance exam (JEE) or a university-specific test (SRMJEE, VITEEE, etc.).
Software engineering courses after 12th – Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) –
- 10+2 from any stream.
- A minimum of 55 per cent in class 12 is required.
- Some institutes may require 10+2 math as a prerequisite.
Software engineering courses after 12th- Diploma in Software Engineering –
- Passed class 10th from a recognized board.
- Math must have been one of your key subjects in school.
How to become a Software Engineer after 10th?
The degree level at which a candidate is pursuing determines his or her eligibility for software engineering courses.
- Diploma Courses: Candidates must have finished class 10 from a recognized board in order to enrol in a diploma-level program.
- UG Courses: Candidates must have finished class 12 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in order to pursue bachelor’s degrees such as B.Tech/ BE/ BSc. To get accepted into good institutions, they must have a minimum aggregate of 75%.
- PG Programmes: Candidates for PG courses such as M.Tech/ ME/ MSc must have a B.Tech/ BE/ BSc degree in software engineering, computer science, or a related discipline. They should hold a bachelor’s degree with a minimum aggregate of 50%.
- Doctorate Courses: A candidate for a Ph.D. in software engineering or a similar discipline must hold a master’s degree in software engineering or a related field.
Must Read: Diploma in Software Engineering
Software Engineering Subjects
In India, Software Engineering is taught as a sub-discipline of Computer Science Engineering at the undergraduate level. Its subjects are made up of the following:
- Discrete Mathematics
- Web Programming
- Visual Programming
- Operating Systems
- Artificial Learning
- Real-time systems
- Virtualization and cloud computing
- Mathematical Programming
- Cryptography and Computer Security
The M.Tech in Software Engineering coursework is organized into four semesters plus certain electives. The program provides postgraduates with numerous chances to become trustworthy and efficient engineers. The following are some of the topics covered:
- Software Architecture
- Cloud Computing
- Software Product Management
- Data Visualization
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Mining
- Cyber Security
- Database Design and application
- Edge Computing
- Secure software engineering
To sustain in the fast-changing industry and have an edge over others, software engineers must sharpen their technical and soft skills. The following are a few soft skills that can enhance your career.
- Attention to Detail
Role of a Software Engineer
Software engineers apply engineering principles to the development and improvement of the software. They analyze and alter current software, as well as develop, construct, and test end-user programs that match user requirements, all using software programming languages. The function also focuses on the complex and big software systems that comprise an organization’s core systems. Under the umbrella of software engineering, there are various professions, but the two most important are Applications Software Developer and Systems Software Developer. Databases, the cloud, and operating systems like iOS and Android are just a few of the areas where software engineers concentrate.
Top Universities for Software Engineering Courses Abroad
Studying a software engineering course at an esteemed university can help you in developing your skills to the highest possible levels. Here are some of the best universities worldwide where you can pursue a course to become a software engineer:
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||USA|
|Carnegie Mellon University||USA|
|University of Cambridge||UK|
|University of Oxford||UK|
|University of California, Berkeley||USA|
|University of Toronto||Canada|
To get admission to any of these universities, get in touch with experts at Leverage Edu!
Top Colleges for Software Engineering Courses in India
India is home to some of the finest engineering colleges. Here is the list of the top 10 colleges for software engineering courses in India:
- IIT Madras
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology
- IIT Bombay
- MIT Manipal
- DSCE Banglore
- LPU Jhalandar
- DTU Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia
Software Engineering Jobs
Because of the rapid growth of the IT industry, IT and CS students have a lot of opportunities. In the subject of software engineering, there are numerous job choices.
- In addition to analyzing user demands, computer software experts provide consultation services to discuss design elements and organize software installation.
- Professionals who design software systems must take into account mathematical models and scientific analysis when determining project outcomes.
- Software developers can find plenty of work in software firms.
- In the public sector, software developers are also in demand.
- You can establish your own software company after getting sufficient experience. Working as a freelancer is also an option.
- Software developers can potentially pursue a career as a teacher.
- You can also work in banks, schools and universities, and financial institutions, both public and private.
- As a Software Engineer, you can also provide consulting services to clients to design and repair software.
Job Profiles For Software Engineer
Let’s take a look at some of the job opportunities in this field. Graduates have a plethora of job opportunities, especially because this is a rapidly growing industry due to the need for new and improved software and apps every day. Here are some of the job positions that you can opt for:
- Software Engineer
- Software Architect
- Software Specialist
- Chief Technology Officer
- Software Trainee Developer
- Cyber Security Manager
- Software Developer
- Sales Engineer
- Video Game Designer
Given its high scope, they have set the technical bar high and earned a handsome amount. The salary package varies across multiple factors like job position, experience, and location. The initial salary is around INR 274K which increases up to INR 560K with experience. They can also earn through various side hustles and freelancing work. They can earn up to 1 million after securing a good position and experience.
Relevant Read: Career in Software Engineering
Software Engineer Salary in India & USA
Software engineers are in great demand all over the world, especially in India. Software engineer salary in India for freshers ranges between INR 4 lakhs to 7 lakhs, while software engineer salary in the USA for freshers ranges between INR 7,15,235 to 10,78,975.
Highest Salary of Software Engineer in India
Wondering the names of top recruiters that offer the highest salary packages? We have curated a list of top companies with software engineer salaries in India based on location:
Must Read: Career in Software Engineering
Planning to apply Abroad? Let Leverage Finance help you with your expenses.
Computer programming and coding
Software testing and debugging
Problem-solving and logical thinking
Written and verbal communication
Perfect your prerequisites like containers, cloud platforms, and version control tools.
Refine your coding skills
Practice with coding projects
Network or find a mentor
Build a portfolio
Consider related jobs
Practice your interview skills
Pursue Computer Science Related Fields and Degree
Learn Programming Languages
Study Data Structures and Algorithms
Enhance Your Skills
Design and Build Software or Projects
Do Some Internships
Start Looking For Job Opportunities
Hope you found this blog on software engineers useful and informative. Want to pursue a career in this field? Our experts at Leverage Edu can help you in selecting the best course and university as per your requirements and interests. Reach out to us for a free 30-minute counselling session today!