Can you imagine your life without PayTM, G-Pay, Netflix Mobile or Instagram? Mobile Apps are an inseparable part of our daily lives. Like every technological domain, mobile applications are in constant flux. There is a constant change in the way we tend to communicate to make our lifestyle as convenient as possible. And these alterations are made by experts known as mobile app developers. Wondering how to become one? Read this blog on how to become a mobile app developer and find out!
This Blog Includes:
- Who is a Mobile App Developer?
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Types of Mobile App Developers
- Pros and Cons of The Role
- Essential Training and Skills
- How to Become a Mobile App Developer: Step-by-Step Guide
- Popular Universities and Courses
- Popular Mobile App Developer Platforms
- Salary Range
- Career Outlook
- Is the Job Worth It?
- Tips for Becoming a Mobile App Developer
Do You Know? Presently, the world has 5 different Mobile Operating System platforms namely- Android, iOS, RIM, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile.
Who is a Mobile App Developer?
Before jumping right onto our topic on how to become a Mobile App Developer, let us throw some light on who is a Mobile App Developer. Mobile application developers or also called App Developers are no less than the heart and brains behind the functioning and the existence of any kind of apps that we use. They are also known as software engineers and their primary task or responsibility is to create, test, and program apps for mobile phones, and tablets. They are the innovators of the Apps who write computer programs by employing different programming languages like C, C++, C#, or Java. A Mobile App Developer selects any operating system they will be developing an application for. They are fully accustomed to mobile app development courses.
Also Read: Core Java Syllabus
Roles and Responsibilities
To satisfy a customer’s expectations, mobile developers work on creating a range of apps, from educational apps to gaming apps. To create and maintain an app, they work with a group of programmers, graphic designers, and UI/UX designers. A mobile developer’s typical tasks include:
- Analysing a client’s needs and developing a suitable solution.
- Creating application programming interfaces (APIs) to support mobile functionality and communication between two applications.
- Ensuring that an app’s front end and back end are connected
- Calculating the final price and duration of a client’s project
- Checking for problems in an app and fixing them
- Enhancing and advancing the development of current apps
Also Read: Computer Science vs Software Engineering
Types of Mobile App Developers
There are two primary possibilities available if you wish to choose a profession as a mobile developer. You can train to be an iOS or Android developer. To understand more about both possibilities and to make a decision about which career route is best for you, continue reading.
This job path is for those who create, test, and update applications for iOS-powered devices. They create applications using tools like the iOS programming language Swift and the development environment Xcode. iOS applications are created specifically for iOS devices by iOS developers.
Since Android is the most widely used mobile operating system worldwide, it is a common career path for mobile app developers. Applications for Android-powered devices are created by developers for Android. After that, they evaluate the code’s usability and edge cases. Careers in mobile development can be lucrative and pay well, however, it is difficult to become a mobile app developer.
Must Read: Decoding How to Become an Android Developer
Pros and Cons of The Role
Like every job profile, becoming a mobile app developer has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Check them below:
- High demand: Demand for mobile developers is rising. If you wish to pursue this as a career, there are many chances accessible.
- A range of jobs: Every project you work on as a web developer is different and difficult. This implies that you’ll have plenty of opportunities to use your imagination and put your abilities to the test.
- Reasonable pay rates: Mobile app developers make good money. As a result of the need in numerous industries, working as a mobile developer will guarantee you a successful career.
- The competition is ferocious: Competition can be severe because anyone with an Internet connection can learn the skills required to become a mobile app developer. It might be difficult to stand out from the crowd, especially for novices.
- Clients are picky: Clients may have a lot riding on the app they’ve asked you to create, which means they may be demanding and obsessed with every aspect.
- The creation of mobile applications can be challenging: Mobile development initiatives are frequently time-sensitive and labour-intensive. This may imply that any project you undertake will be stressful.
Essential Training and Skills
Another step in the process of acquiring comprehensive knowledge regarding how to become a Mobile App Developer is to understand the fundamental or essential skills required to successfully operate within this field. Skills required are:
- Exceptional analytical skills to understand user needs for an application.
- Creativity as a Mobile App Developer constantly thinks to incorporate such features in the app which are user friendly
- You should have a considerable understanding of technical problems to be able to resolve them quickly.
- Good Critical thinking skills
- Sound knowledge of different programming languages and platforms that are available and don’t just stick to one.
- Good leadership skills to manage and lead your team to achieve the end goal or target.
- Good team working spirit as Mobile App Developers generally work in teams
- Should know about IoT, Cyber Security, and Cross-platform App development.
How to Become a Mobile App Developer: Step-by-Step Guide
So after knowing about who Mobile App Developer is and what they do, we can now talk about a step-by-step guide on how to become a Mobile App Developer. There are a whole bunch of steps involved in the process of becoming a Mobile App Developer. The following are the steps:
Step 1 – Choose a Platform
The foremost stage is to select a Mobile Operating Platform. Currently iOS and Android have established their dominance in this industry with billions of users.
Step 2 – Gaining Expertise in Coding Skills
After you are done with selecting a platform to work on, you have to gather knowledge of the fundamentals of coding as well as advanced concepts. For example-
- If you have narrowed down your choice to an iOS-based platform, you will either need to master Swift or Objective-C. Swift is recommended if you’re planning to work independently and develop your products or applications. But, if you choose to become an iOS app developer for a mobile app company you are recommended to master Objective-C rather than Swift.
- If you are planning on creating apps for Android-run devices, you need to fully learn Kotlin or Java. For beginners, the starting place to learn Java is via Google’s Android Developer Library.
Step 3 – Get a Degree
Yes, if you want to become a Mobile App Developer, it is quintessential to earn a degree in it. Getting a degree can strengthen your expertise in this relevant field of study. You can earn your diploma, bachelor’s as well as a master’s degree in Mobile App Development.
Step 4- Keep on practising
It is rightly said that practice makes a man perfect. Well, we think that it will not only make you perfect in your field but will also make you the master and the conqueror in your chosen field. The important point is that you have to keep on practising and keep on polishing your skills and level up your coding skills if you want to get hired by a renowned company as a Mobile App Developer.
Popular Universities and Courses
Glance through the below-mentioned table, which will take you through some of the popular courses with its corresponding Universities along with the duration if you wish to earn a degree in Mobile App Development-
|Name of the course||University||Duration|
|Bachelor of Science in Multimedia, Mobile, and Web Development||Maynooth University||3 years|
|Bachelor of Information Technology (Application Development)||Deakin University||3 years|
|Bachelor of Information Technology focus on Mobile App Design (Standard)||Academy of Information Technology Pty Ltd||3 years|
|Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Hardware and Software Engineering (Honors)||Coventry University||2-3 years|
|Bachelor of Information Technology – with a major in Web and Mobile App Development||Macquarie University||3 years|
|Graduate Certificate in Mobile Applications Development||Centennial College of Applied Arts and Technology||2 years|
|Post-Degree Diploma in Web and Mobile App Design and Development – Developer Stream||Langara College||1- 2 years|
|Master of Science in Enterprise and Cloud Computing||Stevens Institute of Technology||2 years|
|Master of Education in Instructional Design and Technology||University of Cincinnati||2 years|
Must Read: Career in Software Engineering
Popular Mobile App Developer Platforms
Now that you are familiar with all the important aspects of mobile app development, let’s move a step ahead and understand popular mobile App Development Platforms that you need to keep a tap on if you are interested in knowing how to become a Mobile App Developer:
- App Machine
- App Developer
- Good barber
- Build Fire
- Verivo Software
- Mobile Roadie
- Zoho Creator
- Xamarin (Microsoft)
- Zoho Creator
There are many brilliant developers that are capable of producing high-quality apps, and mobile app development is a lucrative industry. In India, a mobile app developer typically makes roughly Rs. 55,000 per month, compared to an average yearly pay of $118,733 in the USA. However, salaries greatly vary based on qualifications and experience.
Between 2019 and 2029, employment prospects for software engineers might grow by 22%, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics (BLS). According to the BLS, this growth is the result of a rising need for new apps that cater to mobile consumers.
The world has seen technology making big leaps from giant computers to hand-held devices like mobile phones which need different applications to function efficiently. It is one of the major technological spheres that constantly keeps renewing itself. New apps, for example, keep popping up and coming up in Android’s PlayStore or the iOS App Store. There is cut-throat competition between platforms to release new apps now and then for their users. This competition makes Mobile App Development one of the most profitable areas and fields of study in the world.
Moreover, around 16% of Mobile App Developers making apps for Android devices earn an estimated $5,000 every month. That is approx. Rs 3.75,000 in Indian Rupees every month. On the other hand, data shows that around 25% of Mobile App Developers for iOS-based devices earn a sum of Rs 3,60,000- Rs 4,00,000 (approx.). These are undoubtedly some whopping figures which make this domain one of the most profitable sectors at present.
Must Read: How to Make a Career in Online Gaming?
Is the Job Worth It?
Should I become a mobile app developer, you may still be asking. As mobile app technology advances and becomes more prevalent, mobile app developers are in high demand. There is no reason not to enter the field because the potential wage and work prospects are favourable. It’s competitive, rewarding, and anticipated to expand further.
To break into the profession, you must be completely prepared with the essential skills and knowledge to land your first job. Degrees and diplomas in mobile development are excellent ways to acquire such highly technical skills.
Consider this resource guide while you conduct a study on the various types of learning routes available to you. After conducting your study, select the option that best meets your needs and embark on your path to success.
Do you require additional assistance? Leverage Edu will be there for you every step of the journey. We will hold you accountable for your development by providing you with free coaching, mentorship, and access to a network of your peers. We can also assist you in preparing for and being accepted into one of the best mobile programming boot camps. Get the education you need to thrive in your new job!
Tips for Becoming a Mobile App Developer
Are you feeling inspired? To summarise, here are our five most useful pieces of advice for getting your career started.
- Begin with free coding tutorials to see if you appreciate the challenge of web development.
- Follow industry blogs to stay up to date. You’ll be kept up to date on how other developers are sharpening their talents and dealing with difficult code issues.
- Do your homework. Learn how coders create solutions for various mobile devices and remain up to date on new software and operating systems.
- Experiment with some of the most popular software engineering tools. Even if you aren’t ready to commit to a full-time programme, you may still gain valuable hands-on experience and experience the joy that comes from building something with your own coding expertise.
- If you want to enter the field quickly and learn through hands-on projects, enrol in a Software Engineering Bootcamp tailored to get you employed quickly.
Ans: A computer science degree is necessary. In addition, knowledge of a programming language is necessary to pursue a career in mobile app development.
Ans: Compared to web programming, the learning curve for mobile app development is steep.
Ans: In India, a mobile application developer makes an average pay of 4.4 lakh rupees annually, or $36.7 thousand.
Hope this blog has covered all the important paraments of how to become a mobile app developer. Still, wondering about your choicest University for mobile app development? Leave your worries apart and let our experts at Leverage Edu assist you with the best of their counselling skills. Sign up for your free 30 minutes of e-counselling with the team now.