The world has evolved and time has witnessed multiple events unfold. These important events must be recorded and stored in archives for people in the future to read, relate and learn. History is an integral part of social sciences that helps humans to see patterns and rectify mistakes. To make sure these historic incidents are recorded, historians are people who devote their careers to studying, recording and analysing past movements and understanding their significance in present times. If you are interested in knowing how to become a historian then do give a read to our blog below.
“Anybody can make history. Only a great man can write it.” – Oscar Wilde
This Blog Includes:
Who is a Historian?
A historian’s main role is to provide a glimpse into the past by evaluating historical records, researching social movements, political milestones, and military conflicts, and conducting field research. There are two types of historians – Professional and Amateur. An amateur historian is anyone who has studied or read about historical events on a basic level with no formal prior training. A professional historian is formally trained and skilled in how to find and use the source materials, analyze the available information and convert it into a meaningful written piece. The quality of a historian is always gauged and assessed through his/her publishing record.
To become a historian, one does not only have to be skilled with research and reading, the career includes long hours of work and also travelling for many days at a stretch. A few of the essential skills to become a historian are mentioned below.
- Strong Research Skills
- Avid readers
- Historical Analysis and Interpretation
- A strong Memory
- Chronological thinking
- Knowledge of Geography and maps.
Following is the eligibility criteria for becoming a historian.
- The applicant should have cleared the 10+2 level with decent marks from a recognized board.
- Should have majored in history at the undergrad level and the graduation marks must be at least 50%.
- For pursuing a career as a historian abroad, students must also provide their English proficiency documents of IELTS/TOEFL scores.
Top Universities Abroad
Here are the top universities abroad to become a historian.
- Harvard University
- Yale University
- Duke University
- University of California
- University of British Columbia
- New York University
- University of Toronto
- University of Amsterdam
- Cornell University
- Northwestern University
- University of Washington
- Columbia University
- University of Minnesota
Top Colleges in India
Below are the top colleges for all the history enthusiasts which will help them in giving a proper direction and shape to their career as a historian.
- Hindu College
- Hansraj College
- Kirorimal College
- Gargi college
- Lady Shri ram college for women (LSR)
- Loyola College
- St. Stephens College
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences
- Punjab University
- University of Hyderabad
Among the many career opportunities available, here are some of the popular job profiles for students who wish to explore the field of history.
- Archaeologists – An Archeologist is a person who extensively studies the ancient culture and remains by employing the three techniques – survey, identification and excavation of historical sites.
- Research Historian – It is one of the most exciting job roles for a historian as this is where the Historians get an opportunity to study a range of objects and subjects to understand history in a better manner. A good research historian usually has excellent communication skills – both verbal and written
- Teacher – A good historian can easily become a good teacher or a professor because he/she possesses the right amount of knowledge that can be used to nurture the next generation of historians
- Editors/Publishers – A historian can easily find an editing or publishing job in either an institutional publication office, museum, journals/magazines, university press etc
Also Read-Best World History Books
Given below are the employment sectors for all the budding historians-
- Historical Associations
- Government Organizations
- Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)
- Government and private museums and cultural galleries
- Independent museums and galleries
- Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR)
Also Read-BA History
Salary of a Historian
The salary of a historian depends on various factors like the type of occupation, position and expertise. The average salary of a historian in India ranges from ₹6,00,000- ₹11,00,000. Students can also earn upto INR 15 Lakhs for jobs such as editing, research or in government archaeological centres.
Explore the various events that occurred through the days in history.
With a strong vision that was ahead of their times, several writers have written books that can help you know the various ways to curate historic information.
|Book Names||Buy Here|
|Alberuni’s India by Alberuni (translated by Edward C Sachau)||Buy Here|
|India – A History (by John Keay)||Buy Here|
|The Last Mughal – The Fall of a Dynasty: Delhi 1857 (by William Dalrymple)||Buy Here|
|A Corner of a Foreign Field (by Ramachandra Guha)||Buy Here|
|The Great Indian Novel (by Shashi Tharoor)||Buy Here|
|The Wonder that was India||Buy Here|
|India After Gandhi – The History of the World’s Largest Democracy (by Ramachandra Guha)||Buy Here|
|Discovery of India (by Jawaharlal Nehru)||Buy Here|
Explore the Best Books on Indian History
This was all about how to become a historian. Hope all the budding historians found the blog insightful and informative. If you require any career-related guidance, contact our experts at Leverage Edu who will help you find the right course and best-suited university.