Are you planning to study abroad and confused about the ideal destination? Hokkaido University is one of Japan’s leading research-intensive universities established in 1876. The university strives to offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctorate programs. It promotes academic creativity and communication skills that will give them a solid foundation in their professional lives. University offers quality education and to study their fields of expertise and developing leading roles as professionals in their fields. If you are interested to study in Japan at Hokkaido University, This blog covers all the necessary details regarding the Hokkaido University entrance exam, from the application process to eligibility criteria and more!
Also Read: Here Are 10 Best Apps to Learn Japanese!
Hokkaido University Entrance Exam Important Dates 2021
The dates have not been announced by the official authorities, we will update as soon as notification is released. Here are the tentative dates for 2021:
|Entrance Exam||October Admission||Special Selected Candidate Entrance Examination||Fall Entrance Examination||Fall Selected Candidate Entrance / Fall Special Entrance Examination||Spring Entrance Examination|
|Examination dates||Aug. 24 & 25, 2021||May 24, 2021||August 24 & 25, 2021||Nov. 17,2021||Feb. 2021 & 22,2022|
|Period of Preliminary review of Admission Qualifications||May 10 to 21,2021||
|May 10 to 21, 2021||Sept. 6 to 17, 2021 (Excluding for Environmental Materials Science)||
Nov. 8 to 19, 2021
|Application Period||July 5 to 16, 2021||April 21 to May 10, 2021||July 5 to 16, 2021||Oct. 8 to 22, 2021||Jan. 11 to 21, 2022|
|Notification of the result||Sept. 2, 2021||June 3, 2021||Sept. 2, 2021||Dec. 2, 2021||March 3, 2022|
For each school/faculty mentioned in the table, the number of self-supported international students admitted are included in the total number of students selected from the 1st general entrance exam:
|Humanities and Human Sciences||Economics and Business|
For each school, the number of self-supported international students admitted is included in the total number of students selected from the 2nd general entrance exam:
Also Read : Study in Japan for Indian Students
Every applicant has to fulfill the eligibility criteria of the Hokkaido Entrance Exam. Individuals who do not have Japanese citizenship or permanent resident status in Japan and who meet the basic qualifications and requirements listed below can apply:
- Individuals who have completed 12 years of school education in a foreign country
- Individuals who have passed a national exam in a foreign country to determine whether they have the same level of academic abilities as an individual who has completed 12 years of school education in that country and is at least 18 years of age.
- Individuals who, after completing a level of school education in a foreign country equivalent to high school education, have completed preparatory coursework for admission to a Japanese university at one of the types of educational facilities listed below:
- Japanese Language Center, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
- Center for Japanese Language and Culture, Osaka University
- Tokyo Japanese Language Education Center, Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
- Osaka Japanese Language Education Center, JASSO
- Applicants who have studied for two or more years continuously, including their final year of study, at a school in a foreign country. Applicants must take all of the exam subjects designated by Hokkaido University Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) administered by JASSO and must have earned a score of 270 or higher for Japanese as a foreign language (including writing) and a score of 265 or higher on the test of basic academic skills.
- Applicants to the Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, must take the TOEFL PBT, TOEFL iBT, or TOEIC Listening & Reading test (L&R) and must have earned a score of 550 or higher on the TOEFL PBT, 79 or higher on the TOEFL iBT (Test Date Scores), or 750 or higher on the TOEIC L&R.
Also Read : Universities in Japan
You can apply for the Hokkaido University Entrance Exam registration through online mode. Here are the steps- wise process:
- Visit the online registration site and fill out the necessary information in accordance with the guidelines. Be sure to read all instructions before completing the online registration.
- Select the payment method and make your payment after you complete the online registration process. Those who are living overseas at the time of application and cannot pay using any of the payment methods above should ask an acquaintance in Japan to pay on their behalf. The information needed for making a payment differs according to the payment method, so be sure to follow the onscreen instructions.
- Payment by credit card- Enter your credit card number, expiration date, cardholder’s name, and security code.
- ChinaPay- On the online payment screen of any bank, enter such payment information as your bank account number, expiration date, and password to make your payment.
- Mailing Your Application Materials
Print the application form (PDF) generated by the online registration site. Place the application and all other necessary documents. Affix the address label that was printed out along with your application form to the envelope and send it by registered mail (EMS from overseas, writing “Admission application materials for self-supported international students applying for undergraduate courses” on the envelope). Hand-delivered applications will not be accepted. Registering online does not complete the application process until all of your application materials have been received by the university.
- Notification of Your Applicant Number
After you complete all the application procedures, you will receive email messages notifying you that your applicant number has been posted on the website. Applicants can use their applicant numbers to check their statuses.
Also Read: Japan Student Visa
- First Stage Selection: Students are screened based on their application materials. The results will be posted on the university’s website (https://www.hokudai.ac.jp). Those who pass the 1st selection stage will be able to download an examination card from the online registration site. A notification of your examination card will be mailed to your registered e-mail address.
- Second Stage Selection: Selection will be conducted to those who pass the 1st stage selection process, based on the 2nd stage selection criteria, their EJU scores, and transcripts from their last school attended.
Second Stage Selection Criteria
|Faculties requiring both ashort essay and an interview||Humanities and Human Sciences, Education,Law, Economics and Business, Medicine, andDental Medicine|
|Faculties requiring bothwriting examinations and aninterview||Science (only Mathematics), Veterinary Medicine, and Fisheries Sciences|
|Faculties/Schools requiring aninterview only||Science (except Math), Pharmaceutical Sciencesand Pharmacy, Engineering, and Agriculture|
Entry Requirements EJU
Applicants must take tests for all of the subjects designated by the university, in the language that he/she requested when applying. EJU results must be taken within two years prior to application:
- Applicants to departments other than the School of Medicine’s Department of Medicine are required to take the TOEFL or other English proficiency exam, but there are no standard scores. It also does not matter when the test was taken.
- On the date of the 2nd stage selection, be sure to bring your Hokkaido University entrance examination card for international students and your photo ID card.
Also Read: Japan Education System
Undergraduate Programmes for International Students
ISP- Integrated Science Program
This program is for international students interested in pursuing a degree in BA or MA in natural sciences. It aims to provide students an excellent scientific education across Biology, Chemistry, Physics while allowing them to specialize in their chosen field.
Modern Japanese Study Program
It is a 4-year Japanese program preceded by a 6 month Japanese Intensive Course for those without sufficient Japanese to enter the Bachelor’s program directly. Hokkaido University invites applications from students who have a high command of the English language, an interest in the society of contemporary Japan, and a high level of academic achievements.
This was all the relevant information regarding the Hokkaido university entrance exam. If you are looking to study in Japan, this exam is a viable option for you. Are you planning to study abroad and need counseling about the process and need some expert advice then get in touch with Leverage Edu!