Hematology is a lesser-known branch of Medicine that deals with the study of blood and the treatment of the blood. The scientific study, diagnosis, and treatment of blood disorders are the primary focus of every hematologist. With thousands of people affected by blood diseases and affected by blood clots that can lead to an untimely demise, Hematologists help in analyzing, testing, and studying faster and more effective ways to save lives via scientific research and growth in diagnostic sciences.
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery|
|English Requirements||IELTS, TOEFL, PTE|
|Average Fee||INR 26.2 Lakhs per year|
|Average Salary||INR 1.4 crores per year|
This Blog Includes:
- What Does a Hematologist do?
- Skills Required to Become a Hematologist
- Top Universities Around the World
- Top Degree Courses
- Admission Process
- Career Scope
- Best Countries for Hematology with Average Salary
What Does a Hematologist do?
Hematologists are internal medicine doctors or medical practitioners who have extra training in disorders related to your blood, bone marrow, and lymphatic system. They’re specialists who may work in hospitals, blood banks, or clinics. Hematologists who practice in labs are called hematopathologists. They’re trained in pathology, a branch of medicine that examines body tissues and blood with microscopes or tests. Some hematologists are generalists, while others focus on specific conditions and organs that require extra training
Skills Required to Become a Hematologist
Aspiring candidates with knowledge of the latest medical developments in the field of Hematology, zeal to work in demanding conditions, and genuine care and concern for their patients can become successful Hematologists by acquiring a required qualification. Some of the other essential skills required to become a Hematologist are:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Analytical mindset and good problem-solving ability
- Diligence and attention to detail
- Good organizational skills
Top Universities Around the World
Some of the top universities across the world that offer Hematology courses are:
|University of Chester, UK||1201|
|London Metropolitan University, UK||–|
|Universiti Malaya, Malaysia||301|
|University of Westminster, UK||801|
|The University of Sydney, Australia||58|
|National University of Ireland, Ireland||351|
|Manchester Metropolitan University, UK||601|
|University of Liverpool, UK||178|
|Keele University, UK||501|
|Middlesex University, UK||401|
|Kingston University, UK||801|
|Trinity College Dublin, Ireland||146|
|Sapienza University of Rome, Italy||197|
|University College London, UK||18|
|University of Cambridge, UK||5|
Also Read: How to Become a Food Scientist?
Top Degree Courses
If you are looking for a degree in Hematology, here are some of the courses that are offered across different universities in the world:
- MSc Hematology and Transfusion Science
- Master/Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences(Oncology and Hematology)
- MSc Hematology
- MSc Blood Science
- MSc Biomedical Sciences (Hematology)
- M.Sc Hematology & Blood Transfusion
- Graduate Diploma in Cancer and Hematology Nursing
- Master of Cancer and Hematology Nursing
- Master of Medical Science in Clinical Pathology (Hematology)
- MD Hematology and Leukemia
- MPhil Hematology and Leukemia
- PhD Hematology and Leukemia
- MPhil in Medical Science( Hematology)
- Ph.D. in Hematology
- MPhil Hematology
- Doctor in Philosophy in Hematology
- If you are willing to go for a specialization in Hematology, students require 10+2 qualification in Science with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as subjects with minimum 45 % marks in aggregate for bachelor courses.
- Students planning to study abroad may have to appear for entrance tests like IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, PTE, etc
- In order to pursue MD in Hematology, students are required to have a medical background, i.e., a MBBS degree of minimum 5 years along with work experience
- Applicants must hold an appropriate first degree with a minimum of 2:2 honors (e.g. in Medicine, Biomedical Science, Dietetics, Human Biology, etc)
Also Read: How to Become an Ecologist?
The specifications might vary from one University to the other, students must checklist the following common steps to apply to a Hematology course:
Step-1: Shortlist a University
When planning to apply to a foreign university for a Hematology course, the first step is to select a suitable University, depending on the specializations offered and the availability of supervisors in the proposed research area. Also, students must ensure that they meet the eligibility requirements set by the University that they are applying to.
Step-2: Gather the Documents Required
Once you have shortlisted a University, the next step is to compile all the documents. This will include test scores, SOP, Letters of Recommendation, and more. Here is a document checklist for you to tick off:
- Certificate for completing 10+2 education from a recognised Indian broad with minimum marks.
- Original academic transcripts from previous academic institutions.
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendations
- Scores of English Proficiency Tests
- Passport and other ID proof
- Bank statements to provide proof for Financial Funds
- Offer Letter
- Student visa
Also Read: How to Become a Parasitologist?
Step-3: Get Started with Your Online Application
After compiling the necessary documents, students can begin their online applications by filling in the required details including Personal, Academic, and Professional background.
There is a structured career path within Hematology architecture. Once qualified, you can progress through your job roles by gaining experience and completing further training, study and research. Promotion is based on merit and you may need to move to other hospitals to make the most of available opportunities.
Once you’ve got enough experience, it’s possible to apply for jobs in various hospitals across the world in specialist areas such as:
- Immuno Hematology
- Pediatric Hematology
- Transfusion Medicine
- Genetic Disorders
Best Countries for Hematology with Average Salary
|United States||INR 1.8 crores per year|
|United Kingdom||INR 93.9 lakhs per year|
|Canada||INR 2.2 crores per year|
|Australia||INR 90.4 lakhs per year|
|Austria||INR 1.6 crores per year|
|Finland||INR 1.78 crores per year|
Worried About IELTS? Take a Demo Class with Leverage Live Experts and Learn the Coolest Ways to Ace the Exam in One-Go!
If you are aspiring to be a Hematologist and want to study at a premium University abroad you can reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and they will assist you in finding a suitable course and university for Hematology that can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to kickstart a successful career in this field! Just call 1800572000 and sign up for an e-meeting today!