Harvard University, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is the country’s oldest institution of higher study. Harvard is an Ivy League University and one of the most prestigious in the world. Its low admittance rate is due not just to its age, but also to the high quality and variety of programs available. The GSAS is Harvard’s largest graduate school, and it houses some of the university’s most popular courses. GSAS offers a wide range of degrees, from bachelor’s to masters to doctorate. We’ve covered all you need to know about getting a master’s degree from Harvard University in this blog.
|Year of Establishment||1817|
|IELTS||7.5 – 8|
|Financial Aid and Scholarships||Available|
This Blog Includes:
- Harvard University Rankings
- Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- Masters Courses Offered at Harvard University
- Eligibility to Pursue Masters at Harvard University
- Application Process for Harvard University Masters
- Harvard University Masters Fees
- Graduate Scholarships at Harvard
Harvard University Rankings
The university is a prestigious institution that has been ranked at the following positions in several rankings surveys. Some of the Harvard Rankings are as follows:
|Times Higher Education||#2||2020|
|QS Global World Rankings||#5||2021|
|US News Rankings||#2||2021|
Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) at Harvard University was founded in 1872 and oversees the majority of the university’s post-baccalaureate degree programs in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. In around 56 subjects, it provides Master of Arts, Master of Science, and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees. The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Harvard has about 4,250 students, with around 200 earning master’s degrees and the rest pursuing PhDs. In 2016, women made up 46% of GSAS students, international students made up 30%, and underrepresented minorities made up 12%.
Also Read: Study MBBS at Harvard University
Masters Courses Offered at Harvard University
Below is a list of all the master’s programs available at Harvard:
Master of Arts
Students pursuing an MA must enrol full-time, take a minimum of eight courses (32 credits) at the department’s necessary level, and pay full tuition for one year. Additional course requirements apply to some programs. Courses under MA are as follows:
Master in Public Administration in International Development
The Master of Public Administration in International Development (MPA/ID) program is designed to train the next generation of international development leaders over two years. It’s a multidisciplinary economics curriculum that combines rigorous instruction in analytical and quantitative approaches with a focus on policy and practice.
Creative Writing and Literature Graduate Program
With a master’s degree in creative writing and literature, you will gain knowledge and skills about the following
- Characterizing, writing a story and plot structure, point of view, dialogue, and description are all important aspects of narrative craft to master.
- Develop writing skills in a variety of genres, including fiction, nonfiction, and drama.
- Examine literary works and discover how to approach them as a writer and a scholar.
- Practice the skill of revision to hone your voice.
Master in Public Policy
Master of Public Policy candidate (MPP) is a two-year program that teaches you how to analyze complicated problems and come up with concrete solutions. You master concepts and abilities that are based in the social sciences but have been adapted for action through courses, activities, and fieldwork.
Master of Public Health
The Harvard Chan School master of public health degree will give you the breadth of knowledge, subject-specific expertise, specialized skills, and powerful global network you need to construct the public health professionals of your dreams.
Management Graduate Program
With a master’s degree in management you’ll be able to:
- Accounting, organizational behaviour, economic theory, finance, marketing, and strategy are among the key elements of management.
- Learn more about leadership, corporate responsibility, digital marketing, and business communications, including mediation and negotiation.
- Through case studies, group projects, and active learning experiences, gain insight into the most current management ideas and practices.
Master of Science
Candidates pursuing the Master of Science (SM) must finish eight courses for a total of 32 credits and pay full tuition for one year. Part-time SM students have two years to earn their degrees. Courses under (SM) are as follows:
Master of Engineering
The master of engineering (ME) is a two-year program that combines advanced coursework with research to culminate in a master’s thesis. ME candidates must finish 16 courses (64 credits), including 8 300-level research-oriented courses, a thesis, and two years of full tuition. ME candidates are not expected to continue to the PhD.
Cybersecurity Master’s Degree
The Cybersecurity Master of Liberal Arts degree subject comprises 12 courses (48 credits) and a capstone. The capstone course, which lasts three weeks, must be completed on campus.
Individuals who are familiar with object-oriented programming in C++, Python, or Java, as well as discrete mathematics, should apply for the degree. If you need to brush up on your programming skills, you can take our programming certificate course.
Eligibility to Pursue Masters at Harvard University
At Harvard, eligibility varies from course to course. The following are the essential requirements for pursuing a master’s degree at Harvard University.
Financial and academic residence restrictions apply to all GSAS programs, and many have language requirements as well (see departmental requirements for your program).
- Tuition paid to other institutions or Harvard Schools will not be given financial credit.
- Former special students or students who took FAS courses under the Tuition Assistance Plan (TAP) may be able to seek financial and academic credit for coursework after completing one term as a GSAS student.
- Accomplished application form
- Certificate of bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Transcript of records
- Standardized test results (GRE or GMAT)
- Letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Writing sample (as needed)
English Language Proficiency
|TOEFL iBT||A speaking score between 23 and 25 or Above|
|IELTS||7 – 8 or Above|
Also Read: All About PhD at Harvard University
Application Process for Harvard University Masters
The application process is straightforward, it may differ depending on the subject.
- Candidates must first fill out an online application and pay a cost of $105 (7,798 INR).
- After that, you must upload documents such as university transcripts, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and GRE test scores to support your candidacy.
- International students whose first language is not English may be required to take a test such as the TOEFL or IELTS to establish their language skills.
- HGSE will invite selected applicants to take part in a mandatory online interview with admissions committee members.
Harvard University Masters Fees
The current Masters in Harvard University fees are listed in the table below for the academic year 2021-2022:
|Application Fees||One Time||$105 (7,798 INR)|
|First Two Years Of Study||Per Academic Year||$44,816 (33,28,569 INR)|
|Third And Fourth Years||Per Academic Year||$11,654 (8,65,564 INR)|
|Estimated Living Expense||Per Annum||$41,000 (30,45,147 INR)|
Graduate Scholarships at Harvard
Full financial assistance is provided to full-time resident students by several departments, such as the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. This Harvard University scholarship for international students covers tuition as well as basic living expenses and health insurance for a minimum of five years. Some of the scholarships available at Harvard are listed below:
|Research Assistantships/Teaching Assistantships||Full tuition and living stipend|
|Saul Saenz Fellowships||Half of the tuition amount|
This is all you need to know about Harvard University’s Masters’s program. Do you want to pursue a Masters’s at Harvard? Connect with Leverage Edu’s professionals to get started on your study abroad experience right away. To schedule your first FREE counselling appointment with us, call 1800572000.