Did you know Harvard Law School is the oldest law school in the world and also has the world’s largest law library? Every year the school enrols roughly 1,990 students including 1,750 JD, 180 LLM, and 60 SJD students. The law faculty at Harvard consists of more than 100 lectures and 150 visiting professors. Over 260 courses are offered at Harvard Law School, spanning a wide range of classic and developing legal topics. With an acceptance rate of only 13%, admissions at the prestigious Harvard Law School are highly competitive. If you are planning to pursue law at Harvard University then here is everything you need to know to start your application.
|Year of Establishment||1817|
|Financial Aid and Scholarships||Available|
This Blog Includes:
Harvard Law School Rankings
According to the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022, According to US News and World Report, Harvard Law School is the third-best law school.
- #1 in Business/Corporate Law
- #1 in Constitutional Law
- #2 in International Law
- #2 in Criminal Law
- #7 in Environmental Law
- #7 in Health Care Law
- #8 in Tax Law
Why Choose Harvard University Law?
- The size of Harvard is a significant source of strength. It allows having a truly varied student body that comes from all around the country and the world. It also provides students with a worldwide alumni network, an unrivaled course catalog and library collection, and a vibrant faculty engaged in teaching and research across a wide range of fields.
- Harvard students have the option of choosing a broad and diverse curriculum or a focused degree in one field of law, such as human rights, intellectual property, commercial law, or nearly anything else, when it comes to courses and academic experiences.
- Harvard’s pro bono program assures that students complete at least 50 hours of unpaid public service before graduation. Most HLS students accomplish a great deal more. The average Harvard graduate last year put in more than 500 hours of community service during their time there.
- In the end, Harvard Law School is just as good as you make it. You get to make the decision. Your three years at Harvard will be unlike any other three years you’ve spent at Harvard. Dip your toe in and pick a specialty, or simply connect and allow the ideas – and possibilities – to come to you.
Types of Harvard University Law Courses
Harvard University offers a plethora of law courses such as JD, SJD, and LL.M programs. They have different specializations such as Criminal Justice, Law and Business, Law and History, Law and Science and Technology, Law and Government, and Law and Society.
There are also joint degrees available with Harvard Business School (J.D./MBA), Harvard Graduate School of Design (J.D./MUP), Harvard Kennedy School of Government (J.D./MPP or MPA/ID), Harvard School of Public Health (J.D./MPH), Cambridge University Faculty of Law (J.D./LL.M. ), and Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (J.D./PhD)
Harvard Law School Admission Process
- The Law School Admissions Council, or LSAC, has an electronic application that must be completed. In the fall of each year, the application is made available on the LSAC website. You can submit your application electronically along with the application cost, or you can print the certification page, sign it, and return it to the school together with a check for the application money.
- Register with LSAC for the Credential Assembly Service and pay the fees. This service allows you to submit your transcripts, additional documents, and letters of recommendation once and have them forwarded to the schools you’re applying to from LSAC. Ensure that LSAC receives all of your undergraduate and graduate transcripts. Request that your letters of recommendation be sent to LSAC by your recommenders.
- Submit your application, resume, and personal statement to LSAC once you’ve completed your Harvard Law School application. When the organization receives all of your documents, it will forward them to Harvard Law School. Pay the 85 USD (6,206 INR). application fee, and check the status of your application online. A checklist is provided by Harvard Law School to ensure that you stay on track throughout the application process.
- Official academic transcripts
- Resume – 1 to 2 pages in length
- Personal statement – (two pages using a minimum of 11-point font, 1-inch margins, and double spacing)
- LSAT test score
- Submitted through the LSAC Credential Assembly Service
- Two letters of recommendation
- Financial aid application
- TOEFL iBT/IELTS scores
|LL.M Program||December 1, 2021|
|S.J.D. Program||April 1, 2022|
|J. D Program||September 15, 2021|
Fees & Funding
|Year||Average Fees (per academic year)|
|Tuition Fees||67,953 USD (5083063 INR)|
Harvard Law School Scholarships and Financial Aids
Grant assistance at Harvard Law School can be substantial for deserving students, although no student receives a “full-ride” grant award. About half of all J.D. student aid applicants are eligible for Law School grant funding. Many organizations looking for Harvard Law School applicants will contact the Student Financial Services Office directly. The following are some of the scholarships at Harvard:
|Trial lawyer Scholarship||10,000(736,475 INR)|
|Lemon Law Experts Scholarships||1000(73,647 INR)|
|Buckfire & Buckfire Legal Diversity Scholarship||2000(147,295 INR)|
|Don H. Liu Scholars Program||15,000(1,104,712 INR)|
|Emery Reddy Legal Studies Scholarship||2,500(184,118 INR)|
Online Law Courses at Harvard University
Harvard University also offers free online courses. Here are some of the popular courses you can consider:
|Computer Science For Lawyers||10 Weeks Long||Free*||Computer Science|
|Cs50 For Lawyers||Self-Paced||1,800 USD(132,565 INR)||Social Sciences|
|Early Childhood Development: Global Strategies For Interventions||7 Weeks Long||Free*||Education & Teaching|
|U.S. Political Institutions: Congress, Presidency, Courts, And Bureaucracy||4 Weeks Long||Free*||Social Sciences|
|American Government: Constitutional Foundations||4 Weeks Long||Free*||Social Sciences|
Are you planning to pursue one of the Harvard University law programs? Contact our Leverage Edu at 1800 57 2000 to kick start your study abroad journey today!