Scholarships are known to be instruments of encouragement towards education and research for students. There are times when students cannot afford higher quality education in recognized institutions even though they are extremely talented and intelligent. Thus, scholarships act as support to help such students enrol in top institutions and build a lucrative career. One such prominent scholarship for the meritorious students of West Bengal is the GP Birla Scholarship. But, what exactly does this scholarship offer and who can avail this scholarship? This blog will give you all the required information about this scholarship.
|Name of the Scholarship||GP Birla Scholarship|
|Scholarship Provider||GP Birla Educational Foundation|
|Applicable for||Students of West Bengal who have passed class 12th in 2019|
|Scholarship Amount||₹50,000/- per year and other benefits like an additional one time payment of ₹7000/- on purchase of books in the first year|
|Number of Scholarships||100|
|Scholarship Apply Date||July 2020|
|Deadline to Apply||30 September 2020|
|Final Selection of Candidates||January 2021|
|Mode of Application||Offline|
This Blog Includes:
Understanding the GP Birla Scholarship
The GP Birla Educational Foundation was established to carry forward the treasured dream of Late Shri G. P. Birla, the renowned industrialist and philanthropist. It was his dream to promote education, build human resources and empower the youth of the country. With this vision, the Trust proposes to grant GP Birla Scholarship to an exemplary student from West Bengal who has secured 80% marks or more from State Board or 85% or more from Central Board in class 12th examination. Moreover, this scholarship is only for those students whose annual family income is less than 3 lakh and wish to avail for financial help to pursue higher education from a recognized University of India.
The scholarship amount will cover tuition fee and hostel fee (wherever applicable), subject to a ceiling of ₹50,000/- per student per year. Every year, the scholarship is granted to 100 selected students for a duration of one year and the same continues if the student displays satisfactory performance in the preceding year (as evaluated by the Trust) up to the completion of the course, subject to a ceiling of 4 years. The intention of the financial support provided by the GP Birla Education Foundation is to encourage students to become future leaders of the country.
Also Read: Siksha Abhiyan Scholarship
Courses Covered Under the Scholarship
The courses included in the GP Birla Scholarship can be in any stream including:
- Chartered Accountant
- Company Secretary
- Cost Accountancy
GP Birla Scholarship Eligibility
The selection of students for the scholarship is made by an expert panel of the GP Birla Education Foundation that currently includes eminent members like Dr Rajib Das (Jadavpur University, Kolkata and Prof. Sumanta Basu (Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata). They review the applications received and interview shortlisted candidates after which the final section is done.
Here is a list of eligibility criteria for GP Birla Scholarship:
- Male and female students who are citizens of West Bengal.
- Students who have passed the 12th exam (higher secondary) with 80% marks or more from WBCHSE (State Board) or 85% or more from Central Board.
- Those students from West Bengal who have secured a rank in top 15000 in JEE/AIEEE/AIPMT tests and need financial help to pursue further studies.
- The annual family income of the candidate is less than ₹3 lakh
Below is a list of important documents which are required to carry out the application process:
- A copy of a completed application form, duly attested by the head of the institution from where the student has completed 12th or taken admission.
- A proof of admission at the university or college.
- A copy of academic certificates and marksheet for the last examination.
- A copy of other extracurricular certificates.
- Proof of Income: Copy of Form 16 or Salary Certificate in case your father or mother is employed in the public or private sector or any other case copy of Income Tax Return would work.
Also Read: Abdul Kalam Scholarship
GP Birla Scholarship Application Process
We have formulated the step-by-step procedure for applying to the GP Birla Scholarship. Moreover, it is recommended to carefully read the guidelines of the scholarship to avoid any mistakes during the application process which may lead to cancellation.
- Download the Application Form
- Fill in the required information carefully and also attach your latest passport-sized coloured photograph.
- Complete the form by attaching the required documents.
- After completion send your application form to the address given below:
GP Birla Educational Foundation, 78, Syed Amir Ali Avenue, Kolkata – 700019
How to Check Result?
GP Birla has released the results for this year’s scholarship winners. If you are wondering if you are one of them, the process to check the result is very easy. Just follow these steps:
- Click on the official website of GP Birla Foundation
- On the top tab, click on the Results section
- A long list of students will appear on the website under the heading ‘List of students selected for scholarship for the year 2020-2021’
- Search for your own name in the list. If you qualified, your name would be there.
- Double check your application number and other details as well
Every year, a total of 100 students receive this scholarship. These meritorious students go through a rigorous process to get selected. This is what they receive as reward if they win:
- Scholarship of INR 50,000 per annum that covers tuition fees and hostel fees
- One-time payment of INR 7,000 to buy books in the first year
GP Birla Scholarship: Terms and Conditions
- The scholarship is granted for 1 year at a time.
- The scholarship can be continued further up to the completion of the course. It can also extend to a maximum ceiling of 4 years subject to satisfactory performance of the students evaluated by the Trust in the preceding year.
- The applications may proceed through the head of the institution from where students have completed 12th or taken admission.
G.P. Birla Educational Foundation
78, Syed Amir Ali Avenue,
Phone: +91 8479915170
Also Check Out
We hope that this blog helped you with all the details about the GP Birla Scholarship and its benefits for the students of West Bengal. If you are thinking of pursuing your higher education from abroad, the experts at Leverage Edu can guide you with the best scholarships available in top universities for Indian students.