When we talk about the toughest exams in India, one can not miss the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, popularly known as the GATE Exam amongst millennials. The craze of this exam is such that many science & tech enthusiasts who take gap years, leave their existing jobs to hit a high score on the test. The GATE exam is used for admissions to PG and PhD courses offered by the best engineering institutes in India- IITs. The Government of India also uses GATE as a requirement for PSU candidates. Here is everything you need to know about the GATE exam 2023, important dates, eligibility, syllabus, exam pattern and more!
This Blog Includes:
- What is GATE Exam?
- GATE Exam Important Dates 2023
- About GATE 2022 Exam
- GATE 2023 Latest Updates
- GATE 2023 Registration Process
- Documents Required for GATE Exam 2023
- GATE 2023 Application Fees
- GATE 2023 Exam Centers
- GATE Exam Eligibility Criteria
- GATE 2023 Admit Card
- GATE Exam Papers
- GATE Exam Pattern & Marking Scheme
- GATE 2023 Syllabus
- How to Prepare for GATE 2023?
- GATE Exam Recommended Books
- GATE Mock Test
- GMAT Exam 2023: Score Calculation
- GATE 2023 Accepting Top Colleges & Cut-Off
- GATE 2023 Counseling
- GATE 2023 PSU Recruitment & Cut-Off
What is GATE Exam?
GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is an online national level examination for Master of Engineering (ME), Master of Technology (MTech), and direct Ph.D. admissions to Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs), and other institutes/universities throughout India. On behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB – GATE), Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource & Development (MHRD), Government of India, the exam is jointly conducted IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, IIT Roorkee, and Indian Institute for Science, Bangalore, on a rotating basis (IISC Bangalore).
GATE Exam Important Dates 2023
The official GATE 2023 exam dates are listed in the table below:
|GATE Registration 2023||30 August 2022|
|Last Date to Register for GATE 2023||7 October 2022|
|Application Form available||8-14 November 2022|
|GATE Exam 2023 Application Deadline||30 September 2022|
|GATE 2023 Exam Dates||4,5,11,12 February 2023|
|GATE 2023 Answer Key release||21 February 2023|
About GATE 2022 Exam
The GATE exam is jointly conducted by IITs and IISc on account of the National Coordination Board. As per the GATE exam 2023 notification, IIT Kharagpur is likely to conduct this national-level entrance test. In the exam, there are a total of 27 subjects from which students can choose one that suits their academic background. The test would be an online exam spanning a duration of 3 hours. Based on the performance of candidates, a score is awarded which is valid for up to 3 years. Tabulated below are the highlights of GATE 2023-
|GATE Full Form||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering|
|Organizing Body||IIT Kharagpur|
|Exam Level||All India Level|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Mode of exam||Computer-based Test (Online)|
|Exam Frequency||Once a year|
|Exam Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Subjects||29|
|Number of Questions||10 (GA) + 55 (subject)= 65|
|Question Type||MCQ, MSQ, NAT|
|Number of Exam Centers||206 in India and 6 abroad|
GATE 2023 Latest Updates
Here are the latest updates for GATE Exam 2023 :
- For the year 2023, the GATE exam will be conducted by IIT Kharagpur
- Two new subjects have been added- Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering and Geomatics Engineering
- Since many students are taking their GAT Exam from their hometown, NCB-GATE has proposed setting more number of GATE Centres
- They have also mentioned that the benefits given to students in 2022 will continue for 2023 as well
- GATE Mock papers are available for CS, EE, EC, IN, etc
- GATE syllabus for all 25 exams have been revised
GATE 2023 Registration Process
Here’s how you can register for GATE 2023 exam:
- Login into GOAPS website.
- Apply for the GATE exam by adding all the essential details.
- Upload all the documents like Photograph, signature, ID proof, Category certificate, degree certificate in the appropriate and prescribed size.
- Thoroughly check and submit your form then pay the online fee through the prescribed methods.
Important: Your GATE application will be submitted only after the final payment which can be made through debit card /credit card/ net banking.
Documents Required for GATE Exam 2023
To get enrolled for the examination, students need to upload their necessary documents along with the online application form. Here are some essential documents required for the GATE exam 2023-
- Photograph, Signature, category certificate (SC/ST/PwD)
- The students falling under the PwD category must present the complete set of documents necessary for the online application
- ID Proof- voter ID, Passport, PAN Card, College ID, Employee ID, or Driving License
- Candidates have to submit the Degree/ Marksheet/ certificate/ provisional certificate/ professional certificate/ course completion certificate/ membership certificate that has been given by the institution if they have completed their degree program in the year 2019
- If the students are in the final year and will be completing their program in the coming months of 2023, they have to submit the certificate from the principal/ head of the institution. Along with a marksheet of the latest semester with the university’s stamp
GATE 2023 Application Fees
Here are the GATE exam fees for different categories:
|Category||Exam Fees||Late Fees|
|Male (General, OBC and Others)||Rs. 1,700||Rs. 2,200|
|SC/ST/PwD||Rs. 850||Rs. 1,350|
|Female Candidates||Rs. 850||Rs. 1,350|
GATE 2023 Exam Centers
- There are eight zones in the GATE 2023 Exam Centers. IISc Bangalore and seven other IITs serve as eight zonal GATE offices, overseeing operations in these exam cities.
- This year, IIT Kharagpur has cancelled three exam cities: Sonepat, Panipat, and Idukki, whereas Leh (Ladakh) has been added as a new test city.
- The GATE test will be held in over 200 locations across India.
|Cities||Number of GATE Exam Cities|
|IISc Banglore||30 cities|
|IIT Bombay||30 cities|
|IIT Delhi||19 cities|
|IIT Guwahati||21 cities|
|IIT Kanpur||14 cities|
|IIT Kharagpur||26 cities|
|IIT Madras||40 cities|
|IIT Roorkee||22 cities|
GATE Exam Eligibility Criteria
There are certain prerequisites the candidates have to meet before appearing in the GATE exam. If any discrepancy is found in the essential requirements, the official authorities hold the power to cancel the candidature of the applicants. Following are some of them:
- Formal schooling of 10+2
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture or Technology
- Master’s degree in any branch of science /mathematics/ computer application/ statistics or their equivalent
- New relaxation in terms of minimum eligibility has been introduced this year which means that not only students pursuing 10+2+4 ongoing courses can apply but those who are a part of 10+2+3 ongoing courses can also apply in their 3rd year.
GATE Eligibility Criteria for Candidates other than Indian Nationals:
Candidates belonging to other nationalities can also appear for the GATE exam, provided that they have alignment with the below-mentioned requisites-
- Must have completed or been in the final/ pre-final year of the UG course in Engineering or Technology
- Must have completed or been in the final/ pre-final year of the PG course in any relevant science subject (s)
GATE 2023 Admit Card
The following are the dates for the GATE 2023 admit card:
|GATE Exam 2023 Admit Card Release||9 January 2023|
|GATE Exam 2023 Result Declaration||16 March 2023|
How to Download
Following these easy processes, students may obtain their GATE 2023, Admit Card:
- Visit the official website at gate.iitkgp.ac.in for further information.
- Click Submit after entering your GATE Enrollment ID and Password.
- To obtain a copy of the GATE Admit Card, go to the website provided.
- Take a colored printout of the paper after downloading it.
- If there are any differences, make a note of them.
GATE Exam Papers
GATE exam comprises of 27 subjects and from this year onwards students are allowed to choose ONLY ONE subject for the paper in ONE SESSION. If you are planning to appear for the GATE exam, here are the subjects along with their paper codes.
|Geology and Geophysics (GG)||Life Sciences|
|Ecology and Evolution||Engineering Sciences|
|Electrical Engineering||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||Statistics|
|Chemistry||Production and Industrial Engineering|
|Computer Science and Information Technology (CS)||Physics|
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||Petroleum Engineering|
|Civil Engineering (CE)||Metallurgical Engineering|
|Biotechnology (BT)||Mining Engineering|
|Biomedical Engineering (BM)||Mechanical Engineering|
|Architecture and Planning (AR)||Mathematics|
|Agricultural Engineering (AG)||Instrumentatin Engineering|
|Aerospace Engineering (AE)||Environmental Science and Engineering (ES)|
|and Humanities and Social Sciences (XS)||–|
GATE Exam Pattern & Marking Scheme
The GATE exam comprises of 65 questions carrying a total of 100 marks that are to be done in a span of 3 hours. Questions can further be bifurcated into two categories – MCQ and Numerical types. MCQs come with four options whereas Numerical questions are to be solved by the candidates. There is no negative marking for numerical answer type questions and the students will enter the answer using the virtual keyboard.
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Question Types||-Multiple Choice Questions
-Numerical Based Questions
-Multiple Select Questions
|Marks per Correct Question||1 mark / 2 marks|
|Total Time of the Exam||180 Minutes|
|Division of Marks||-General Aptitude: 15% of total marks
-Engineering Mathematics: 13% of total marks Subject
-Discipline opted for by candidate: 72% of total marks
The table given below can elaborate the exam pattern for GATE exam 2023:
|Sections||Question Numbers||1 Mark Question||2 Mark Question|
|Technical + Engineering Mathematics||55||25||30|
|Paper Code||General Aptitude (GA) Marks||Subject Marks||Total Marks||Total Time (Min)|
|AE, AG, BM, BT, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, ES, EY, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, NM, PE, PH, PI, TF, ST||15||85||100||180|
|AR [Part A + Part B1 (Architecture) OR Part B2 (Planning)]||15||60 + 25||100||180|
|GE [Part A + Part B (Section 1 OR Section 2)]||15||55 + 30||100||180|
|GG [Part A + Part B (Section 1 Geology OR Section 2 Geophysics)]||15||25 + 60||100||180|
|XE (Section A + Any TWO Sections)||15||15 + (2 x 35)||100||180|
|XH (Section B1 +Any ONE Section)||15||25 + 60||100||180|
|XL (Section P+Any TWO Sections)||15||25 + (2 x 30)||100||180|
You cannot miss: Books For GATE
GATE 2023 Syllabus
The syllabus of the GATE exam is designed by professionals who have intense knowledge & experience in their respective fields. A different syllabus is prescribed for each subject and applicants are advised to prepare accordingly. Given below are important topics of 10 choicest subject choices of GATE aspirants:
|Continuity and Differentiability||Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors|
|Evaluations of definite and indefinite integrals||Stokes, Gauss and Green’s Theorems|
|Discrete Random Variables|
|Engineering Mathematics||Solution of Linear and Non-Linear algebraic Equations|
|Microbial Classification and Diversity||Cell Signalling and Signal Transduction|
|Mean Value Theorem||Analytic Functions|
|Kirchoff’s Laws||Frequency and Impulse Response|
|Characteristics and Application of Diode|
|Free-body Diagrams and Equilibrium||Elastics Constants|
|Strain Gauges and Rosettes||Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams|
|Thermodynamics and Fluid Dynamics|
|Ladle metallurgical operations Principles and process for the extraction of non-ferrous metals|
|Surface Treatment Dislocation interactions and reactions|
Textile Engineering and Fibre Science
|Roller and apron drafting principles Combining Efficiency|
|Yarn clearers and tensioners Primary and secondary motions of the loom|
|Principles of winding processes and machines|
|Chlorophylls Morphology of Bacteria|
|Microbial Growth High-pressure homogenization|
|Mass transfer operations|
|Generations and utilization Characterization of biomolecules by electrophoresis|
|Cell structures and organelles DNA replication|
|Transport of minerals and solutes|
|Directional Derivatives Simple and linear Regression|
|Archimedean Property Finite-dimensional Vectors|
Also Read: GATE syllabus for CSE
How to Prepare for GATE 2023?
GATE is considered one of the toughest competitive exams for MTech and PhD programmes offered by the top engineering institutes in India. Here are some tips and tricks on how to prepare for GATE 2023 exam.
- Make a Study Strategy: It is important to have a good study plan before you start your preparation. So, study the exam pattern, syllabus and question papers to make a personalised study plan to get amazing scores in the GATE exam.
- Section-wise Weightage: Knowing the weightage of every section is the best way to crack a competitive exam. Try to focus on the topics which have the most weightage and can help you get into your dream college.
- Use Limited Reference Books & Make Notes: Try to focus on limited yet quality reference books for the subjects and make detailed notes for the topics so that you can use them for revision later on.
- Revision & Mock Test: Revision is an extremely important step in process of how to prepare for GATE 2023! It is important to revise your concepts, numerical and MCQ questions on a daily basis so that you are prepared thoroughly.
Click Here to Get More GATE Preparation Tips!
GATE Exam Recommended Books
Candidates can use the table below to find subject-specific GATE 2023 books for better preparation:
|Paper Name||Recommended Books|
|GATE ME||SS Rattan’s Strength of Materials, RS Khurmi’s Theory of Machines, and SS Bhavikatti’s Engineering Mechanics|
|GATE CS||Cormen’s Algorithms, Galvin’s Operating System, and Ullman’s Theory of Computation|
|GATE EE||Val Valken Burg’s Network Analysis, Oppenheim Wisky’s Signals & Systems, and UA Bakshi’s Power Electronics|
|GATE EC||Millman and Halkias’ Electronic Devices Circuits, Mano’s Digital Logic and Computer Design, and B Ram’s Microprocessors|
|GATE CE||K Subramanya’s Engineering Hydrology and C.S.Reddy’s Basic Structural Analysis|
|GATE CH||Binay K. Dutta’s Heat Transfer, Christie J. Geankoplis’ Mass Transport Phenomena, and Gopala Rao M’s Chemical Technology|
|GATE BM||G.S Sawhney’s Fundamentals of Biomedical Engineering and R.S Khandpur’s Biomedical Instrumentation|
GATE Mock Test
All candidates can access the GATE mock test on the official website through their login details. Here is the link for the mock tests – Click here!
GMAT Exam 2023: Score Calculation
To calculate the score of the GATE Exam 2023, students will need a formula prescribed by the official authorities. For the papers having one session candidates will obtain actual marks as their GATE score whereas, for the papers with multiple sessions, normalized marks will be allocated to the students along with the raw marks obtained by students in the exam. Here is the formula is given on the official site which would provide you with the appropriate exam score-
- M= Total marks obtained (either normalize marks or actual marks)
- Mq= Qualifying marks of the category which candidates belong to
- Mt= Mean of marks of top 10 or top 0.1% (in multi-session papers all sessions will be included)
- Sq= 350, scores assigned to Mq
- St= 900, score assigned to Mt
GATE 2023 Accepting Top Colleges & Cut-Off
The qualifying cutoff for all institutions may change from year to year, although it has been noticed that the rank necessary for admissions in each college generally remains the same. In the table below, several instances of institute-accepted rankings are listed:
|Institute||GATE Rank Cut-Off|
|IISc Banglore||Rank < 100; in some of the courses rank ≤ 600|
|IIT Bombay||Rank < 100; in some of the courses rank ≤ 600|
|IIT Delhi||Rank < 100; in some of the courses rank ≤ 300|
|IIT Kanpur||Rank < 100; in some of the courses rank ≤ 300|
|IIT Kharagpur||Rank ≤ 600|
|IIT Madras||Rank < 100; in some of the courses rank ≤ 300|
|IIT Hyderabad||Rank ≤ 1500|
|IIT Roorkee||Rank ≤ 1000|
|IIT Guwahati||Rank ≤ 1000|
|IIT BHU||Rank ≤ 1000|
|NITs||Rank ≤ 1500|
|IIT Patna||Rank ≤ 1500|
|GFTIs (National and State-level)||Rank ≤ 2500|
GATE 2023 Counseling
For M.Tech admissions, IIT Kharagpur will not have any counseling sessions. Candidates seeking admission to IITs, NITs, and other prominent universities would be required to engage in separate counseling procedures.
- For admissions into NITs candidates need to register for GATE CCMT Counseling. Usually, the counseling process starts in the month of April.
- For admissions into IITs, candidates need to register for GATE COAP Counseling. Aspirants must apply to particular institutes where they wish to be admitted before registering for the Common Offer Acceptance Port
GATE 2023 PSU Recruitment & Cut-Off
- Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) are businesses that are owned by the Indian government’s central government, one of its states/territories, or both.
- Every year, these firms hire applicants through the GATE test.
- Candidates who have been shortlisted and have a valid GATE score are invited to participate in selection phases such as a personal interview (PI) or a group discussion (GD).
GATE PSU Previous Cutoffs
|GATE Cutoff for BHEL Recruitment|
|GATE Cutoff for NTPC Recruitment|
|GATE Cutoff for GAIL Recruitment|
|Business Information System||70.41||64.29||61.82||–|
|GATE Cutoff for HPCL Recruitment|
No, it is completely forbidden. One email address can be used only once to fill the application form. Students are advised not to attempt doing so.
You can easily continue filling or submitting your application again. You have to login into the GOAPS website again and can go on with your process.
Generally, the centre of examination is allocated depending upon the first choice of candidates. But if authorities face a situation of a higher number of enrollments, they have the rights to allocate the centre in any of the optional cities selected by students.
Log in again to the GOAPS website and check what is the status of your payment. If the GATE authorities have received your payment, you can proceed further and print the application. If the payment has been made by your bank and it is not received by the authorities, your money would be credited back to your account with 7-10 working days. You can make the payment again with proper internet connectivity and submit the application again.
We hope that this blog about the GATE exam has provided you with the essential information of the test. If you want to capture the global exposure and acquire numerous growth opportunities, you should try to attain a degree in Engineering, Technology or Architecture. Contact us at Leverage Edu and our e will map you with a well-fit course and university!
best website for the purpose of eduaction here each and evry information is fully described and clear to student that which one is good and which one is bad for it.
best website for the purpose of eduaction here each and evry information is fully described and clear to student that which one is good and which one is bad for it.
Thanks, Brij for your feedback! Check out our other blogs on GATE Exam – https://leverageedu.com/blog/gate-eligibility/, https://leverageedu.com/blog/gate-preparation-tips/, https://leverageedu.com/blog/gate-syllabus-for-cse/, https://leverageedu.com/blog/books-for-gate/.