Have you ever experienced the moment of catching fish from the water? Or you must have witnessed people with their eyeballs stick to a sensory part of a fishing rod attentively manning the fish movement on the banks of lake or pond waiting for a fish to stick in a hook. Preying on fish is a joyous moment but cumbersome at the same time as it needs utmost patience to wait for the right time. Do you know there are lucrative career options available in Fish Farming? Those who are avidly interested in fish-catching can make the most out of it. In this blog, we will take you through the rewarding career options that you can consider in Fish Farming.
This Blog Includes:
Introduction to Fish Farming
Just like farming in Agriculture, Sericulture, Floriculture, Apiculture or Animal Husbandry where we rear and breed cattle, Fish Farming is a comprehensive field which can be understandable with the term ‘Aquaculture’. Also known as Pisciculture, it mainly involves catching, breeding of fish and it’s rearing on commercial purpose. It is one of the unique activities when fish is breaded and reared in a reserved area like confined tanks or in an open sea where we do monitoring activities, which in other words is called ‘Mariculture’. This is a prosperous activity which takes hard efforts of technicians and biotechnologists to breed fish. Considered as a unique concept, entrepreneurs take it as a promising career and make a successful business out of it.
If we talk about India, it is the 4th largest producer and 7th largest exporter of fish in the world. As per the research conducted by the Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations, there are 500 million people in developing countries depending on aquacultural or fish farming activities. There are a plethora of options in terms of academic education available for a person who is interested in learning such activities.
Required Skills in Fish Farming
In order to start your own Pisciculture production, and create a distinctive space in the aquacultural landscape, you need to be skilled enough in order to smoothen your workflow. Below listed are some of the essential skills one should possess to build a career in Fish Farming:
- Practical skills of working individuals or in smaller groups.
- Organisational and Information Technology skills.
- Good communication.
- Expertise in fish handling and spawning.
- Knowledge of fish health and nutrition.
- Expertise in fish equipment and operations.
- Physical fitness is a prerequisite.
- Efficiency in swimming.
Career in Fish Farming
Pisciculture is an emerging field and those opting for it as a career is a unique choice. The field ranges from a basic technician to that of managers, bio-technologist, officers and various other professionals of applied sciences’. Let’s understand the common specialisations in Aquaculture:
If you are a graduate in Fish Farming or Aquaculture, there is a considerable chance to grow as a Biological Technician. Their prime role is to be a part of the scientific research team. It is important to mention that a Biological Technician enjoys a lavish life with handsome salaries. As per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, this field could expect a massive growth rate of 7% between 2018-2028.
This is an equally promising job profile in the field of Fish Farming. Aquaculture managers look into the fish hatcheries activities and train and supervise the workers in order to yield better and maintain the growth level of fish and aquatic life. They also manage the commercial aspect of the hatchery besides keeping a track record of where the fish stock has been released. This post equally offers a sufficient salary.
Wildlife Biologist in fish breeding conducts an extensive study in wildlife including fish production in their natural habitat. They equally conduct in-depth experiments by learning the behaviours and health status of wildlife in their environments and learn about the effect of human influence.
There are other profiles with a considerable chance for an Aquaculture graduate to make their distinctive space and enjoy a lavish life on handsome salaries. Find the complete list of profiles in Fish Farming below:
- Fisheries Officer
- Fishery Manager
- Fishery technician
- Fishery Observer
- Assistant Fisheries Development Officer
- District Fisheries Development Officer
- Fisheries Extension Officer
- Managerial Personnel
- Hatchery Manager
- Feed Mill Manager
Popular Pisciculture Courses
Enrolling in a course after high school is an advantageous next step to continue your education and work towards a career. These provide essential knowledge in the given field of study and also prepare students for entry-level jobs in that area. So, if you are interested in applying to a course in Pisciculture and Fish Farming, here’s the list of programs to help you get started:
- Diploma in Aquaculture
- Diploma in Recreation, Fish and Wildlife
- Diploma in Oceans Resources – Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Diploma in Fisheries and Aquaculture Technology
- Advanced Diploma in Fish and Wildlife Technology
- Graduate Diploma of Science (Aquaculture Science and Technology)
- Post-degree Diploma in Fisheries and Aquaculture
- BSc Aquaculture
- BSc in Fish Conservation
- BSc in Wildlife and Fisheries Biology
- Bachelor in Aquatic Biology
- Bachelor in Marine Science
- Bachelor in Applied Science (Aquatic and Fisheries)
- Bachelor in Aquatics
- Bachelor in Environmental Science (Marine Biology)
- Bachelor of Business and Environmental Science – Aquaculture
Want to get admission to your dream university abroad? Then, Register Here!
- MSc in Fisheries Science (Fisheries Science and Technology)
- MSc Sustainable Aquaculture
- MSc in Natural Resources – Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
- MSc in Aquaculture
- MSc in Fisheries, Wildlife and Conservation Biology
- MSc in Evolutionary Ecology of Fishes
- MSc in Aquatic Pathobiology
- Master in Mariculture
- Master in Aquatic Food Production – Safety and Quality
- MPhil in Aquaculture
Doctoral Courses[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- PhD in Aquaculture
- PhD in Fisheries and Wildlife
- PhD in Fisheries
- PhD in Fisheries Science
- PhD in Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences
- PhD in Environment and Natural Resources – Fisheries and Wildlife Science
- PhD in Natural Resources – Fisheries Conservation and Management
- PhD in Fish and Wildlife Biology and Management
- Doctorate in Natural Resources – Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
- Sustainable Aquaculture Module Course
- Fish and Wildlife Technician
- Certificate II in Fishing Operations
- Certificate III in Aquaculture
- Certificate III in Fishing Operations
Where can you Pursue Courses in Fish Farming?
As the field of Aquaculture and Fish Farming is emerging with a plethora of options, there are a lot of prestigious universities across the globe turning it into a fully-fledged course. These are committed to providing quality education amid scientific research and innovation. Here are some of the prominent institutions offering diploma and certificate courses and degree programs in Fish Farming and Aquaculture:
- Hull International Fishery Institute
- Quinny College of Natural Resources
- Utah State University
- The University of Aberdeen
- Oregon State University
- Deakin University
- Washington State University
- The University of Rhode Island
- Texas A&M College of Life Sciences
- Hokkaido University
- Clemson University
- Auburn University
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Vancouver Island University
- Fleming College
- Ghent University
- University of Algarve
- University of St Andrews
- Universidade da Coruña
- University of Stirling
The world of Pisciculture is considerably increasing with a plethora of job prospects and business opportunities to grow. The developing countries have been enormously endorsing the concept of Fish Farming for all those entrepreneurs who work around it. In order to execute this concept, all you need to have a determination of learning to achieve the degree at the right educational institute. Practising Fish Farming amid required skills will fetch you a lucrative job profile as well. Still, pondering how to go ahead with it? Then sign in your 30 minutes of free counselling session with Leverage Edu your one-stop solution where a dedicated team of mentors will help you take the right step towards a lucrative career!