London is amongst the ‘big four’ fashion capitals in the world. It has given birth to a flood of new fashion styles and cultures, all of which have influenced the worldwide fashion landscape. London Fashion Week is one of the most anticipated events in the world. So, what better city to study fashion than the trendiest city in the world? Here’s everything you need to know about fashion design courses in London!
This Blog Includes:
Why Study in London?
London is home to popular brands like Dior, Zadig & Voltaire, Dolce & Gabbana and has given the world fashion icons like Stella McCartney, Vivienne Westwood, and Paul Smith who have transformed the fashion industry with their cultural background and inspiration. Here’s why London is ideal for studying fashion design courses:
- London is home to the biggest fashion houses and fashion schools in the world like London College of Fashion, Royal College of Art and Central Saint Martins.
- Studying in London may lead to a variety of professional alternatives, ranging from part-time cash jobs to graduate degrees. Students can take up different internships with local and international fashion houses to learn about the industry and gain work experience.
- An abundance of fashion design courses awaits students in London, with thousands of courses in the fashion industry, you can study history of fashion to artefact study, textile as well as accessory design.
- Fashion powerhouses like France and Italy are just a train away from London! Students can apply for internships during the summer and experience a different school of thought behind fashion trends in European countries.
- Not just fashion, if you like to live in a buzzing metropolis, London is the place to be. There are around 7000 bars and taverns, over 5000 eateries, and over 350 music venues in a single metropolitan region!
Must Read: Everything You Need to Know About Fashion Journalism
Top Fashion Design Courses In London
Fashion design colleges in London educate the next generation of designers. Designers, stylists, make-up artists, buyers, photographers, journalists, and managers are among the jobs available to graduates. The top fashion design courses to study in London are listed below:
The following is a list of the best undergraduate fashion design courses in London.
|3D Effects for Performance and Fashion BA (Hons)||3 years|
|BA (Hons) Bespoke Tailoring||3 years|
|BA (Hons) Cordwainers Fashion Bags and Accessories: Product Design and Innovation||3 years|
|BA (Hons) Cordwainers Footwear: Product Design and Innovation||3 years|
|BA (Hons) Costume for Performance||3 years|
|BA (Hons) Creative Direction for Fashion||3 years|
|MSc Strategic Fashion Management||4 years / 5 years (with a placement year in industry)|
|BA (Hons) Fashion Contour||3 years|
|BA (Hons) Fashion Design and Development||3 years|
|MSc Cosmetic Science||4 years / 5 years (with a placement year in industry)|
Here is a list of the best postgraduate fashion design courses in London.
|Executive MBA (Fashion)||1 year|
|Graduate Diploma Fashion Design Technology||1 year (30 weeks)|
|LCF MBA||12 months / 45 academic weeks|
|MA Costume Design for Performance||15 months|
|MA Fashion Curation||15 months|
|MSc Applied Psychology in Fashion||12 months|
|MSc Fashion Analytics and Forecasting||12 months|
|PG Cert Fashion: Buying and Merchandising||15 weeks|
|MA Strategic Fashion Marketing||15 months|
|MA Pattern and Garment Technology||15 months|
Other Short Term Courses
Some of the short-term online fashion courses offered by London universities are listed below.
|Introduction to the Study of Fashion on a Global Scale (FE Level 3)||1 year|
|Fashion Preparation on a Global Scale (Certificate in Higher Education)||1 year|
|Bag Design Short Course||4 weeks|
|Visual Communication for Fashion Online Short Course||4 weeks|
|Short Course on Introduction to the Fashion Industry for 16 to 18-Year-Olds||4 weeks|
|Introduction to Professional Makeup Short Course||4 weeks|
Top Colleges for Fashion in London
The best colleges in London for fashion design courses are listed here.
- Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design
- London College of Fashion
- Westminster University
- Royal College of Art
- Condé Nast College of Fashion & Design
- University of East London
- London College of Contemporary Arts
- Istituto Marangoni London
- British Academy of Fashion Design London
- Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design
Also Read: Fashion Designing Colleges in USA
After reviewing the top fashion design courses in London, let’s get acquainted with the admission requirements for hopefuls seeking admission to one of London’s universities. The entrance criteria vary depending on the programs offered or university to university; however, the following are the basic essential requirements for studying fashion design courses in London:
- A combination of the aforementioned qualifications or an equivalent full Level 3 qualification; or similar EU or non-EU qualifications, such as the International Baccalaureate Diploma; and three GCSE passes at grades A*-C or grades 9-4 will earn you 112 additional UCAS tariff points.
- A Distinction – Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (Level 3 or 4) with a minimum of 112 tariff points, including at least one A-level pass;
- A bachelor’s degree with honors in a comparable field (2:1 or above) or equivalent credentials. (for postgraduate courses)
- In addition, you must have a minimum of three years of relevant industry experience. (for postgraduate courses)
- All official academic transcripts and grade cards
- Passport size photographs
- Passport photocopy
- UK student Visa
- Updated CV/Resume
- Portfolio (if asked or required)
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- GMAT/GRE scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
- Research Proposal (for PG Research)
English Language Requirements
Because the scorecard for these examinations is valid for two years, students should familiarise themselves with the university schedule and apply for admission wisely.
Cost of Studying Fashion Design Courses in London
The cost of tuition in London varies depending on the university you attend. The table below shows how much fashion design courses in London cost on average.
|Level of Study||Average Tuition Fees (Per Annum)(GBP)|
|UG||9,250 – 15,654( INR 9,27,886 – 15,70,284)|
|PG||11,220 – 19,251(INR 11,25,500 – 19,31,106)|
Cost of Living in London
The cost of attending a university in London includes tuition, as well as food, lodging, and other living expenses. The following is a summary of some of the expenditures connected with studying in London.
|Accommodation||3,828 (INR 3.82,000)|
|Internet and phone service||324 (INR 32,300)|
|Transportation||924 (INR 92,200)|
|Food||2,004 (INR 2,00,000)|
|Personal Expenses||1,164 (INR 1,16,000)|
|Miscellaneous Expenses||240 (INR 23,900)|
This was all about fashion design courses in London, and where they might be found. If you need any more help with institutions, the application process, funds, paperwork, or anything else, call the Leverage Edu experts at 1800572000, and they will provide you with excellent end-to-end mentorship and guidance to help you achieve your goal in no time!