Unlike the usual competitive exams, Olympiads aim to evaluate a candidate’s deeper understanding of a particular subject. Rather than making the students mug up a comprehensive range of concepts, Olympiads examine their conceptual knowledge about a specific academic discipline. English Olympiads have a vital role in testing your English proficiency and further provide you with an insight into how much you know about this language. Through this blog, we aim to explore what an English Olympiad Exam entails as well as its central types and why it is crucial to test your proficiency in a commonly spoken language like English.
What is an Olympiad?
Conducted for school children, an Olympiad is a special competitive exam organised for different subjects such as English, Mathematics, Science, Computer Applications, amongst others. It is designed for young learners and provides them with the time-bound atmosphere of a competitive exam. Further, various Mathematics, Science and English Olympiad exams are conducted by several organisations, be it government or private on different levels such as international, national, state and zone levels. Olympiads can help you test your foundational basics of a particular subject along with evaluating your abilities, like time-management and analytical skills, that are imperative to perform effectively in a competitive exam.
What is an English Olympiad?
An English Olympiad is specifically designed to examine a student’s proficiency in this language. English Olympiads are organised at different levels such as national or international for students at varying education levels, from primary, secondary to higher secondary. Majority of the schools conduct this competitive exam to help students examine their understanding of the English language. English Olympiads centrally comprise of grammar and spelling check questions.
Why you Should Test your English Language Proficiency?
English is a commonly spoken and globally recognised language in the world. It is amongst the official languages of many non-native countries. Even if you are applying for a course abroad, most of the international academic institutions demand English language proficiency scores of the candidates. Let’s take a look at the major reasons why English has become a popular language in the contemporary times:
- English is the most spoken language globally. It is understood and spoken by 1-1.6 billion people in the world.
- It is based on a simple alphabet system which makes it easy for non-native speakers to grasp its key basics.
- When it comes to the content produced online, English is frequently used by digital platforms and that’s why it is also known as the ‘language of the internet’.
- The media industry generally uses English as its medium of communication and a larger number of books, TV shows and movies are subtitled in English, regardless of what their original language is.
Types of English Olympiads
Since the English language holds such great importance, it is necessary for students to have a firm understanding of it. Below is a list of some of the English Olympiads you can appear for in order to test your proficiency in this language:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- OEL: The International Olympiad of English Language (OEL) is a two-level English Olympiad organised by Silver-Zone for classes 1 to 12. This exam is conducted at the international level.
- ICAS: International Competitions and Assessments for School (ICAS) is an English language Olympiad organised by the ICAS/IAIS Macmillan for classes 3 to 12 at an international level.
- UIEO: Unified International English Olympiad (UIEO) is an international-level English language Olympiad for classes 2 to 10. This exam is organised by the Unified Council and is divided into a set of two examinations.
- IEO-EduHeal: International English Olympiad-EduHeal is conducted by the EduHeal Foundation for classes 1 to 12 in schools across the globe.
- EO: English Olympiad (EO) is a national level exam organised for classes 1 to 12.
- ISTSE: Indian School Talent Search Exam (ISTSE) is an English language Olympiad conducted nationally for classes 1 to 10.
- ASSET-English: Assessment of Scholastic Skills Through Educational Training (ASSET) is a national-level olympiad test conducted by Education Initiatives in Indian schools for classes 3 to 10.
- NEITO: National English Indian Talent Olympiad (NEITO) organised by the Indian Talent Olympiad for the classes 1 to 10 at the national level. It comprises of two levels and is conducted in schools across the country every year.
Hence, English Olympiads play an imperative role in helping school students grasp the time-bound environment of a competitive exam while also evaluating their proficiency in a popularly spoken language like English. If you are planning to appear for a competitive exam and don’t know where to start, our Leverage Edu experts are here to guide throughout the preparation process by helping you master every section and successfully cracking the test to get into your dream school.