Engineering graduates vying to ply their trade in the vast field of Management can do so through the Engineering Management degree. It acts as a bridge for anyone with an engineering background to apply his skills in Business Management. It affords graduates greater opportunities for career advancement in top-level managerial roles. Renowned as one of the top destinations to study abroad, USA is significantly emerging as a sought-after choice for those planning to pursue a degree in Engineering and Management. This blog brings you a complete guide on top courses for studying Engineering Management in USA, popular universities, course duration and structure as well as eligibility criteria.
This Blog Includes:
What is Engineering Management?
Engineering Management is an interdisciplinary subject which particularly caters to the needs of young engineering graduates who aim to build a career in Management. Technical processes in companies require professionals who have both a highly advanced engineering acumen as well as requisite knowledge of managerial concepts. These courses employ an engineering-oriented approach on solving management problems rather than the traditional management-oriented approach.
Why Pursue Engineering Management in USA?
While STEM courses in USA are the choicest ones amongst international students, the country is also renowned for its business schools as well as technical institutes imparting quality education in almost every field of study. Engineering Management is an emerging interdisciplinary specialisation chosen by those aiming to study the nuances of how efficient management can be carried in the engineering and tech industry. There are a wide range of benefits of pursuing Engineering Management in USA and some of these are highlighted below:
- The top-ranked universities in USA offer a plethora of options for Engineering Management courses from short courses to full-fledged undergraduate and postgraduate programmes which are research and practical-oriented.
- Choosing USA to pursue a global degree in an ever-growing and emerging field like Engineering Management can help you explore international opportunities and kickstart your career in the right way.
- From bachelor’s to MEng as well as research masters, international students can choose from a variety of degree options which suits their career preferences and academic goals.
While the actual course requirements can differ as per the university and program, there are certain general prerequisites you must know before opting for a course in Engineering Management in USA and these are given below:
- For diploma courses or bachelor’s degree programs in Engineering Management, the minimum academic criterion is that the candidate must have completed their high school qualification, i.e. 10+2 from a recognized board.
- For a Masters in Engineering Management in USA, a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university is the major prerequisite. For the MS in Engineering Management, a STEM background is necessary while for the MBA program a science degree is desirable.
- Further, other application requirements include submission of official transcripts, Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letters of Recommendation (LOR), SAT (for bachelor’s degrees), GRE/GMAT scores [for master’s degree courses), English language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
Course Structure and Duration
When it comes to the duration of programs in Engineering Management in USA, it can possibly vary as per the degree and course. For bachelor’s degrees, the total duration is 4 years while for master’s degree programs, the total duration can be 1-2 years. Further, since master’s degrees are popularly offered, the duration can significantly vary for MS and MBA in Engineering Management. MS in Engineering Management in USA can be generally 1-2 years in duration while MBA is often a 2-year degree course offered in USA. Compulsory Engineering Management subjects include topics related to a specific field of Engineering like Civil, Electronics, Computer etc. Further, business-related subjects are offered as part of core and electives. To help you understand the course structure, we have listed down some of the core subjects commonly covered under programs in Engineering Management in USA:
- Statistical Analysis
- Finance for Engineers
- Strategic Analysis
- Engineering System Simulation
- Management of Internal Engineering Projects
- Design Project Management
- Operations Management
Top Courses for Engineering Management in USA
Now that you are familiar with the eligibility criteria and course duration, the next step is to explore the top Engineering Management courses offered by universities in USA. Here is a detailed table elaborating a list of universities and courses in Engineering Management in USA:
|Short Course in Engineering & Management||University of California – Riverside|
|Short Course in Management in Engineering||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Bachelor’s in Engineering & Management
Master’s in Engineering & Management Systems
Masters in Engineering Management
Masters in Construction Engineering Management
|BSc in Construction and Management||NewSchool of Architecture and Design|
|MS in Engineering Management||Trine University|
|ME in Engineering Management||Rochester Institute of Technology|
|MSc in Engineering Management||Hofstra University
Drexel University College of Engineering
University of Texas Arlington
|MSc Engineering Management- Environmental Engineering||The University of Alabama|
|MEng Engineering Management||Wichita State University
University of Buffalo
|MSc Engineering Management: Construction Management||The University of Tennessee|
|MSc Engineering Management – Vehicle and Robotics Engineering||The University of Alabama|
The monthly cost of living in USA are about $700-$1000 (INR 52328 – 74755) which accounts for $10000-$12000 (INR 747550 – 897060) yearly. The charges are inclusive of accommodation, room food, travel, textbooks, and other additional necessities. Let’s have a look at the breakdown of the charges :
- Accommodation costs around $5000-$7000 (INR 373775- 523285) yearly.
- For off-campus accommodation, rental charges are nearly $300-$400 per month.
- Food is estimated to be around $2500 (INR 186887) per year.
- Traveling costs within the USA range from $300-$700 (INR 22426- 52328) depending on the location.
- Textbooks and study material costs are nearly $500-$1000 (INR 37377- 74755) yearly.
- Other expenses will be around $2000 (INR 149510) yearly.
Student Visa and Application Cost
International students have to apply for a student visa after they have received their admission letters. Once, you have been accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor Program- approved college, you have to register with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and pay the fees i.e. $350 (25,664 INR). International students then have to apply for a student visa and pay the fee which is $160 (11,732 INR).
Listed below are some simple steps along with the important documents that you will need to apply for the US visa of your choice-
- Collect all the essential documents like:
- A valid passport
- Your travel itinerary (if already purchased flights)
- Your CV must be up to date.
- Provide all the information about your previous education history.
- Your SEVIS ID. SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is a way of keeping data of all international students. Your SEVIS ID will be printed on your I-20 form. We recommend you to pay the SEVIS fee before initiating visa application. You can fill the form here: SEVIS I-901 Form
- Letter of acceptance of the institution in which you’re going to study in USA
- Now after completing the above formalities, apply for the visa online here: DS-160 Visa Application Form
- After filling the form, print the confirmation page and bring that in to interviews. You will be expected to visit in biometric and other types of interviews.
- F-1 Student visas are only issued 120 days before the commencement of your course.
Admission Process to Study in USA
The process for applying to study in the USA involves a bunch of important steps that must be completed within the given time period. To help you in the given process, we have devised some simple steps along with important documents that you will be needing at the respective step to study in the USA-
STEP 1: Make a list of 8-10 colleges of your choice.
STEP 2: Fill Your Application Form./
STEP 3: Collect supporting documents like academic transcripts, the result of the previous institution, English proficiency test result, CV, statement of purpose (SOP), Letter of Recommendation (LOR), and other things. We recommend you check out the requirements section of your desired institutions.
STEP 4: Now start signing up accounts online on the website of universities to submit your application.
STEP 5: Some universities might ask for a WES evaluation (Just an evaluation which may cost $100-$160 (INR 7,500- 11,800) to ensure that you’re capable enough to study in the US) of your mark sheet. It may take 2 months to get your mark sheet evaluated
STEP 6: Once you submit all the required documents, they will inform and instruct you to pay the academic fee.
STEP 7: Now you will get an I-20 form and acceptance which will help you get a student visa.
Hence, we hope that this blog helped you explore the essential features of pursuing Engineering Management in USA. It is understandable that students go through a period of hesitation and uncertainty when pinpointing a course that fits their inclinations and future aspirations. Though nearly all students go through this phase, engineering students, in recent times, tend to be in majority. Consult the counsellors at Leverage Edu so that you can find a career path that is perfect for you.