Italy is amongst the choicest study destinations in the world and is renowned for its world-class universities and high-quality academic programs. The country has also played a central role in fostering the Bologna process and the educational reforms brought forward in the European Higher Education system. Renowned globally for its academic institutions, Italy offers scores of internationally accredited degree programs across varied fields and specialisations. While its universities are majorly popular for Arts and Design programs, the country offers advanced engineering programs in different specialisations and interdisciplinary subjects. If you are planning to study Engineering in Italy, this blog brings you a comprehensive guide on the top courses offered, major universities, admission requirements and related details you must know!
This Blog Includes:
- Why Pursue Engineering in Italy?
- Specialisations Offered
- Top Engineering Degrees and Universities in Italy
- Admission Process for Engineering in Italy
- Career Prospects after Engineering in Italy
- Cost of Living in Italy
Why Pursue Engineering in Italy?
Home to many top-ranked academic institutions, Italy offers globally accredited Engineering programs across a wide range of specialised fields and areas of study. With its origins rooted in a long history of leadership and innovation, it is rapidly emerging as one of the sought-after and best countries for engineering courses. Some of the key factors that can convince you to pursue your degree in Engineering in Italy are:
- A wide array of Engineering branches on offer for specialised diploma, certificate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs (taught in English)
- Internationally accredited degrees recognized by the European Union
- Many of the popular universities in Italy rank amongst the top 200 in QS and THE University Rankings 2020
- Affordable degree programs in Engineering along with the lower cost of living for international students
- Explore global opportunities at famous Italian brands like Enel, Ferrari, and Fastweb, to name a few and you can also discover training opportunities at renowned tech brands in Europe.
With a plethora of Engineering programs on offer, you can explore the best ones as per your field of interest and specialisations you want to explore. To help you further in your research on pursuing Engineering in Italy, we have enlisted some of the popular Engineering specialisations offered by major technical universities and institutes in the country:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Construction Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Material Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Automotive Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
Top Engineering Degrees and Universities in Italy
There are numerous technical institutes, universities and colleges in Italy which provide an array of programs in Engineering and Technology. Finding the right university for your chosen field of study is a crucial decision in your academic journey thus you must meticulously research about the best academic institutions available for your preferred courses. Take a look at the popular Engineering degrees offered by top universities in Italy.
|University||Courses in Engineering|
|University of Rome – Tor Vergata||Bachelor’s in Engineering Sciences|
|University of Pavia||Master’s in Industrial EngineeringMaster’s in Civil Engineering for Mitigation of Risk from Natural Hazards|
|Istituto Europeo di Design||Master in Transportation Design|
|University of Pisa||Masters in Bionics Engineering
Master in Nuclear Engineering
Master in Aerospace Engineering
Master in Materials and Nanotechnology
|University of Padua||Master in Control Systems Engineering
Master in Environmental Engineering
Master in Mathematical Engineering
|University of Bologna||Master in Offshore Engineering
Master in Civil Engineering
Master in Automation Engineering
Master in Telecommunications Engineering
Master in Advanced Automotive Engineering
Master in Biomedical Engineering
Master in Aerospace Engineering
Master in Earth Resource Engineering
Master in Electrical Energy Engineering
|University of Trento||Honours Master Programme in Research
Master in Telecommunications Engineering
Universities in Italy have their tuition fees based on the course and the degree type (Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD). On average, tuition fee for engineering in Italy ranges between €10,000 and €15,000 (INR 8,80,532- 13,20,798) per academic year for non-EU/EEA students. Some private universities can demand much higher tuition up to €17,000 and €20,000 (INR 14,96,904- 17,61,540) per academic year.
Admission Process for Engineering in Italy
The admission process for Italian colleges will vary by the course you choose. In addition, the university you choose will also matter in terms of the admission process. Despite the course or university you choose, make sure you pay close attention to the admission process so that you don’t face problems later.
Eligibility Criteria for Studying Engineering in Italy
For any prospective student, wishing to pursue Engineering in Italy, it is of utmost importance to be aware of the eligibility prerequisites. Let’s look at some of the general requirements that you must fulfil to apply for Engineering programs at universities in Italy.
- Applicants need to submit academic transcripts of previous educational qualifications. Also, it is essential that you have accomplished the required academic qualification from a recognized institution with the minimum percentage mandated by your chosen institution.
- The universities in Italy will also assess your scores in major subjects of Science stream Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science and related disciplines as per your chosen program.
- You will also have to provide scores of an English proficiency test like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. if you are applying for English-taught programs. Moreover, you might be asked to join Italian language programs if the mode of teaching at the university is Italian.
- For master’s degree programs, universities might also require GRE scores and GMAT scores for Engineering management courses.
- Along with these, you must also submit a Statement of Purpose, Letter of Recommendation, and resume amongst other documents.
This is another criterion that will depend on the university. The application process for some Italian universities is harder than others. But here are the general rules you need to follow during the application process for Italian universities:
- Call Leverage Edu so that the experts can help you choose the perfect university as per your needs. You also need to ensure you’re submitting your application to numerous universities.
- Collect and submit all the relevant documents for the application process.
- Keep the deadline of the application process in mind.
- Accept the offer letter from the university.
- Wait for your visa approval.
The documentation process is super vital and you need to make sure you’re not missing anything. The documents you need to submit are:
- Educational certificates. If you’re going for a bachelor’s degree, a 12th mark sheet is required. On the other hand, a UG mark sheet is required for PG degrees.
- Letter of recommendation
- Letter of intent
- Financial documents
- Statement of purpose
- Proof of financial condition
- Offer letter
- Proof of accommodation
The majority of international students studying in Italy are granted the same financial assistance services as Italian students. This is given based on the same requisites of financial needs and/or merit. There are various government scholarships at the national level that international students can apply for. Some Italian Universities also offer Italian scholarship programs for international students. Here is a list of the scholarships for Engineering in Italy.
- Italian Government Scholarships for Foreign Students
- EDISU Piemonte Scholarships
- Bologna University Study Grants for International Students
- University of Pavia International Scholarships for Developing Country Students
- Bocconi Merit and International Awards
- Politecnico de Milano Merit-Based Scholarships for International Students
- Politecnico di Torino International Scholarships
- Università Cattolica International Scholarships
- University of Padova Scholarships for All Degree Courses
- Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships
Career Prospects after Engineering in Italy
Most of us study abroad with just one goal in mind: differentiating the CV from the rest of the crowd and securing a high-paying job. Do you know that bagging a high-paying job will become an easier task when you study engineering in Italy? Continue reading to know more.
Top Jobs and Salaries
Here’s a table that would help you know more about the jobs and salaries in Italy. Keep in mind that bagging these jobs is a hard task. Not to mention, the salary structure would also depend on the designation.
|Civil Engineer||EUR 45,000-EUR 60,000 (INR 39 Lakhs-INR 52 Lakhs)|
|Mechanical Design Engineer||EUR 70,000-EUR 90,000 (INR 61 Lakhs-INR 79 Lakhs)|
|Electrical Design Engineer||EUR 70,000-EUR 90,000 (INR 61 Lakhs-INR 79 Lakhs)|
|Mechanical Systems Engineer||EUR 103915-EUR 112951 (INR 91 Lakhs-INR 99 Lakhs)|
|ADAS Test Engineer||EUR 72,000-EUR 90,000 (INR 61 Lakhs-INR 79 Lakhs)|
|Aerospace Engineer||EUR 60,000-EUR 95,000 (INR 52 Lakhs-INR 83 Lakhs)|
Top Companies in Italy for Engineers
As a graduate, you might want to work for the best company in Italy so that you can boost the strength of your portfolio. Here’s a list of the best companies in Italy:
- NTT DATA
Cost of Living in Italy
The cost of living in Italy isn’t as expensive as in other European countries. However, the cost will fluctuate depending on the state.
|State||Single Person/Month||Four Person/Month|
|Milan||EUR 836 (INR 73K)||EUR 2,900 (INR 2.5 Lakhs)|
|Rome||EUR 827 (INR 72K)||EUR 2,900 (INR 2.5 Lakhs)|
|Naples||EUR 727 (INR 63K)||EUR 2,500 (INR 2.1 Lakhs)|
|Florence||EUR 798 (INR 70K)||EUR 2,800 (INR 2.8 Lakhs)|
Polytechnic University of Milan and Polytechnic University of Turin are the top engineering colleges in Italy.
With plenty of study opportunities, Italy also provides a unique study abroad experience with scenic beauty and affordable education.
With the lack of skilled technicians in Italy, there are an estimated 45,000 jobs available in the technology sector in Italy.
Italy is among the most convenient European countries when it comes to immigration. The government provides various types of visas that can be obtained by citizens of non-EU countries through which, foreigners can work or start their own companies in Italy.
We hope this blog has familiarized you with the whole process of pursuing Engineering in Italy. Do you plan to join a top-notch university in Italy for your higher studies? Then let our experts at Leverage Edu empower your educational journey. They will help in reviewing your application and choosing the university and course that will suit you the best. Book your free 30 minutes of e-counselling with the team now and get ready to live your dream!