Nowadays, people across the world want their personal or professional space to transform into a more sophisticated area that reflects their personality in an elegant yet classy way. Due to this, the interior design industry has gone through a revolutionary change and has now evolved into a professional field that is being pursued by many students. Since the industry has seen an uprise and a lot of new options have opened up, universities across the globe have started offering an array of certificate, diploma, and degree programs in interior design. One of which is the Diploma in Interior Designing. Thus, in this blog, we will discuss the program and the educational institutions which are offering this diploma course. But before that, let us understand what a diploma in Interior Design is all about!
This Blog Includes:
- Diploma in Interior Design: Course Highlights
- Why Study Diploma in Interior Designing?
- Diploma in Interior Design: Entrance Exams
- Diploma in Interior Design: Eligibility Criteria
- Diploma In Interior Designing: Top Universities
- Top Colleges for Diploma in Interior Design after 12th in India
- Admission Process for Diploma in Interior Designing
- Interior Designing Online Courses
- Diploma in Interior Design: Syllabus
- Job Prospects & Future Scope After Diploma in Interior Designing
- Recommended Books for Diploma in Interior Designing
- Diploma in Interior Design: Course Comparison
- Skills Required
Diploma in Interior Design: Course Highlights
|Course Name||Diploma in Interior Design|
|Mode of Admission||Entrance/Merit|
|Eligibility||Min 50% marks in the exam last appeared for|
|Course Fees||INR 1 – 12 Lakhs|
|Recruiting Agencies||Architecture Firms, Real Estate, Interior Designing Agencies|
Interior Designing is the art of creating aesthetically pleasing structures. The structures are created in such a way that it has an essence of what inspired this design alongside representing a synchronization. The Diploma in Interior Designing aims to fuel the imagination to arm the students with the requisite skills which are mandatory to become a qualified professionals. The curriculum trains students to create spaces that function as cozy homes or utilitarian workspaces. During the diploma, some fundamental skills are taught. Some of which are:
- Structural requirements, building codes, safety and security issues, and so on.
- Software applications for 2D and 3D designing using Computer-aided designing (CAD) and Building Information Modelling, etc.
- Thorough usage of various colors, textures, textiles, etc.
The students will be trained to work in tandem with clients, architects, contractors, furniture dealers, and craftsmen.
Why Study Diploma in Interior Designing?
- As per US News, the demand for an interior designer is expected to grow by 45% by 2027. Students with interior design degrees are not just restricted to this field and have immense scope in other fields such as Architectural Firms, Retail, Designing Consultancies, and Construction Companies.
- After the interior designing course, you will have the opportunity to work all around with good compensation. On average interior designer earns between 6- 12 lakh per annum depending upon experience, the field of expertise, and more.
- Interior designing projects let you explore different industries and work with clients from across the world. You will help clients with the layout, structure, color schemes, furnishings, and decorations of their properties
Diploma in Interior Design: Entrance Exams
- BHU UET: At the university level, there is a CBT (Computer Based Test) admission test. BHU UET 2021 is open to those who have completed their upper secondary education. Candidates must have received at least a 50% in commerce, math, interior design, economics, finance, financial markets management, and vocational courses. The maximum age is 23 years old.
- NID Entrance Exam: The National Institute of Design is in charge of the event. Candidates who have finished 12th grade in any discipline or who are preparing to take the 12th-grade examinations must meet the minimum eligibility requirements.
- SOFT CET: The School of Fashion Technology is in charge of the event. Eligibility is determined by a 50-60% aggregate in a 10+2 exam from any recognized board.
- MET: It is organized by the Manipal Academy of Higher Education, and the university/college sets the eligibility conditions.
Diploma in Interior Design: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for a diploma in Interior Design vary from university to university. However, the basic eligibility criteria are –
- Aspirants must have cleared the entrance exam for their desired college.
- For admission in some colleges, students must have had Mathematics as one of the compulsory subjects at the +2 level.
Diploma In Interior Designing: Top Universities
With changing lifestyles, the demand for interior design professionals has increased. As a result of this, many institutes now offer a Diploma in Interior Designing. Some of the major universities offering these courses are elaborated below:
Florence Institute of Design International, Italy
The institute offers a two-semester-long, Diploma of Interior Design. The course emphasizes the fundamentals of interior design like lighting, furniture, color, and space planning. The institute also offers an Advanced Diploma of Interior Design. While the curriculum of the first year is similar to the abovementioned diploma. In the second year, the design concepts, lighting techniques, and learning material are explained comprehensively. The students are also provided with on-the-job training.
International Career Institute, UK
The institute offers a Diploma in Interior Decorating. This course is available both online and through distance learning mediums. The program focuses on building a strong foundation in this field by imparting knowledge in various areas. The diploma runs over 14-31 weeks. The institute also offers other programs like:
- Certificate in Interior Decorating (14 weeks)
- Advanced Diploma in Interior Decorating (31weeks)
George Brown College, Canada
George Brown College offers an Advanced Diploma in Interior Designing Technology. The curriculum equips students with the necessary skills to create innovative designs, plans, and 3D models. The program imparts knowledge in interior design theory and its technical and applied principles.
Monash College, Australia
Another famous institute for Interior Designing courses is Monash College. The institute offers a Diploma of Art and Design and offers a platform to specialize in areas like Industrial Design, Spatial Design, Architecture, and Collaborative Design. So, with this Diploma in Interior Designing field, you get a good hold of the important concepts related to the field. This four-semester course provides students with a platform to acquire knowledge on design and decor and apply the principles to develop plans for furniture, interiors, fixtures, etc.
Top Colleges for Diploma in Interior Design after 12th in India
Listed below are the top Indian colleges offering a diploma degree in Interior Design –
- Apeejay Institute of Design
- International Polytechnic for Women
- ITM University
- Sage University
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology
Admission Process for Diploma in Interior Designing
The application process takes place over some time and begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and winter intake for international students to kickstart their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favorite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates, and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates, and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
Interior Designing Online Courses
Given the current scenario, online courses have gained immense popularity. In this section, we have listed the top online courses for interior designing that interested students can opt for –
- Udemy Online Interior Design Courses
- The Inchbald School of Design, Design your Living Space Online
- New York School of Interior Design (NYSID)
- The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
- National Design Academy
Diploma in Interior Design: Syllabus
Syllabus of a diploma in interior design changes depending upon the university. Here are some of the common topics you will study:
- Interior Design and Construction and Furniture Detailing & Sanitary
- Software applications and Construction materials and Finishing
- Interior decoration and its Principle
- Stone Masonry – Bonds and types, Construction tools
- . Carpentry joints
- Concept of furniture Layout
- Concept of Colour and Lights
- Paints, Varnishes, Distemper
- Concept of False Ceiling
- General Plumbing system
- General Sanitary fittings
- The general layout of the kitchen and toilets
Job Prospects & Future Scope After Diploma in Interior Designing
The future scope after a diploma in interior design looks very promising in India and abroad. You can work with big firms such as Urban Ladder, E.A. Hughes & Company, Uberdogg Design, Blue Angel Interior Design, Livspace, and more. You will be earning between INR 6,00,000- 12,00,000 on average depending on various factors. Here are some of the popular job profiles along with salary structures:
|Job Profiles||The average salary of INR|
|Interior and spatial designer||3,50,000|
|Assistant Exhibition Designer||4,00,000|
|E.A. Hughes & Company||Free Interiors|
|Joby Joseph Interior designs||Blue Angel Interior Design|
|Nitash Interior Private solutions||Uberdogg Design|
Recommended Books for Diploma in Interior Designing
- The Interior Design Reference & Specification Book updated & revised: Everything Interior Designers Need to Know Every Day by Chris Grimley and Mimi Love
- Interior Design And Decoration (Pb 2019) by Seetharaman P
- Interior Design: Principles And Practice by M. Pratap Rao
- The Interior Design Handbook by Frida Ramstedt
Diploma in Interior Design: Course Comparison
|Basis||Interior Design||BDes. in Interior Design|
|Course Duration||1 to 2 years||3 years|
|Top Colleges||George Brown College, Canada
Monash College, Australia
International Career Institute, UK
|Carnegie Mellon University
Singapore Institute of Management
Charles Darwin University
|Eligibility||Cleared 10+2||Cleared 10+2|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2 lakhs to 8 lakhs||INR 1 lakhs to 6 lakhs|
|Job Positions||Interior Designer, Interior application Developer.||Interior Designer, Exhibition Designer, Landscape Designer|
Besides having an eye for detail, quick learning abilities, and profound knowledge of the industry and design innovation, some other essentials include:
|Cognitive Skills||Good Communication and Interpersonal Skills||Creative and Imaginative|
|Strong Artistic Skills||Presentation Skills||Knowledge of Past and Present Style of Design|
|Traditional Skills||Drawing Skills||Self-motivated|
|Innovativeness||Willingness to Undertake Risks||Apply Original Elements to Projects|
Yes, interested candidates who finish 10th can opt for a diploma or certification course in Interior designing.
The course is usually 1 -2 years as it is a diploma course.
A student who has received a diploma degree can opt for the following job openings – Interior Designer, Back end Developer, Front – end Developer, Interior application Developer.
Thus, there are many universities available to pursue a Diploma in Interior Designing. If you want to enroll in this course but are not sure about how to get started with it then the expert counselors at Leverage Edu will not only help you in selecting the university but will also lend a helping hand in completing the admission formalities.