Coding, analyzing data, or sticking to just one particular area might be boring for people that can’t settle their imagination & determination to do something new every day. The course that will offer all this and more in Design courses. But the first step to take to get into the field of design is to get into the top colleges. But the best colleges have an entrance exam that plays a crucial role in decision-making. So, let’s learn about Design Entrance Exams in India:
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Design Courses?
- Top 10 Design Entrance Exams In India
- Top 10 Colleges for Design Course in India
- Top 10 Institutions for Design Course Abroad
Why Study Design Courses?
- If you are able to think out of the box and have fun with your imaginative mind then design it your soul mate. Design is one of the fields where you can experiment as much as you want. Put all your ideas together to form a final product that will be loved & appreciated by everyone.
- The design was always a mainstream career & growth opportunity but came into the limelight in the past few years. Ever since then, design growth in India has been booming & expected to grow far more in the coming years.
- Design can never be narrowed down to one thing, design is always changing & evolving for the better. In the field of design, individuals will never be bored at work because they are always surrounded by creativity & art all the time.
Top 10 Design Entrance Exams In India
The first step to kickstart your career in design is to get admission into the best institutions. In order to get a seat in a design institution candidates are required to crack the entrance exam. Here is a list of 10 Design Entrance Exams In India & their eligibility criteria.
- Pearl Academy Entrance Test
- FDDI AIST
- GD Goenka DAT
- UID Aptitude Test
- NID Entrance Test
National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)
conducts its own entrance exam. NIFT has a main campus in New Delhi & offers a bachelor’s in design. It is a national-level exam that is conducted once a year. NIFT entrance exam is an offline mode/ written exam. Eligibility for applying for this design entrance exam is that the applicant must not be more than 23 years of age and should have passed in class 12
Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED) is conducted by IIT Bombay. It is conducted online every year. Candidates clearing UCEED will be eligible for bachelors in design in institutions accepting UCEED. Eligibility for appearing for this design entrance exam in India is Applicants should have cleared class 12.
Pearl Academy Entrance Test
One of the top institutions for design conducts its own entrance exam Pearl Academy Entrance Test. The exam is conducted three times at the national level by the authority & is held online. Students must have secured 50% marks in class 12 if they want to appear for the entrance exam.
Symbiosis International University conducts its entrance exam known as SEED for admission in design courses at the bachelor level. The exam is conducted online once a year. Interested students should have a diploma 10+3 with an overall 50% approved by the state board of technical education.
Footwear Design & Development Institute conducts its entrance exam known as FDDI AIST. FDDI has 12 campuses across India. Candidates that have cracked FDDI AIST are eligible for admission to the bachelor of the design program. Candidates that have cleared class 12 and less than the age of 25 are only eligible for the entrance exam.
Common Entrance Examination for Design is conducted by IIT Bombay every year & students that have cleared the exam are eligible for admission into design courses at master’s level. There is no age limit but applicants should have a Diploma/Degree/Postgraduate of at least 3 years
GD Goenka DAT
GD Goenka University offers a design course at the master & bachelor levels. University conducts its own entrance exam Design Aptitude Test. Candidates have to clear the first round of entrance and later on clear the personal interview round as well.
For bachelors, an applicant must have cleared class 12 and for masters, graduation of three years in the relevant field is mandatory.
UID Aptitude Test
To take admission to the United World Institute of Design applicants have to clear the entrance exam conducted by the authority known as UID Aptitude Test. The institution offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and integrated design degrees. For Bachelors, the applicant must have secured an overall 50% in class 12. For masters, applicants must be a graduate with an aggregate of 50% score in the relevant course.
NID Entrance Test
National Institute of Design conducts NID Entrance Test for admission into PG & UG level design courses. NID Entrance Test is an annual written test. Applicants have to clear two rounds in order to be eligible for the admission seat. Applicants should have completed graduation from a recognized university & should not be more than 30 years is mandatory.
All India Entrance Examination for Design is conducted by Arch College of Design and Business The exam is conducted annually through online mode. Students are eligible only if they have passed Class 12 and a graduate from a recognized university.
Top 10 Colleges for Design Course in India
The list of institutions offering courses in design can be long & applicants might get confused in selecting the institution. To help you in this dilemma we have listed the top 10 universities for design & other prominent universities.
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- Industrial Design Centre, IIT-Bombay
- Indian Institute of Art and Design, Delhi
- Pearl Academy, Mumbai
- Symbiosis Institute of Design
- IIT Delhi
- National Institute of Design, Vijayawada
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- National Institute of Design, Gandhinagar
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad
Top 10 Institutions for Design Course Abroad
Here are the top 10 Design entrance courses abroad:
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology, Canada
- International College Dundee, UK
- Portland State University, USA
- University of Chester, UK
- Troy University, USA
- University of West London, UK
- University of South Wales, UK
- RMIT University, Australia
- The University of Hull, UK
- Swansea University, UK
Other University offering Design courses
Here are the other Indian universities that offer design courses:
- Indian Institute of Art & Design, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Art & Design, Jaipur
- International Institute of Fashion Design, Jaipur
- Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- United world Institute of Design, Gujrat
- International Institute of Fashion Design, Pune
- Amity University, Noida
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad
It has only 100 seats for B.Des, NID is one of the prestigious institutions for design
Some of the companies that are part of the placement are Benetton, ITC Ltd, Levis, Lifestyle, Pantaloon, Proline, Spykar, Swarovski India, Uni Style India, etc.
Applicants should not be of more than 23 years.
There are two rounds, studio test & interview round. The Prelims exam is a written exam.
NID does not accept any score except NID DAT
Yes, some institutions offer specialization.
This was all about the design entrance exam in India. We hope that this information helps you to make the right decision for your career path. If you have any doubts our experts and counsellors at Leverage Edu are just a call away. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.