With the emergence of e-Commerce and various other websites, data security is the most critical issue in ensuring safe transmission of information through the internet. As the world is embracing more digital advancements, network security issues are becoming increasingly important. The more online internet users, the more the danger of cybercrimes. For those curious to know about the cyber world, you must consider pursuing a career in Cryptography and Network Security. Through this blog, we will take a look at what this field entails, courses you can pursue, top universities, as well as job opportunities you can explore.
Also Read: Career in Cyber Security
This Blog Includes:
- Skills Required
- Course Details
- List of Courses Offered in Cryptography & Network Security
- Top Universities in India
- Top Universities Abroad
- Career Prospects
- Top Recruiters
In the contemporary times, network security has become the need of the hour as the world has become a global village. To be put in simple terms, cryptography can be termed as secret writing and it defines the science of covering the meaning of data so that it is only understandable to only specified parties. It has existed for quite a long time in history as the government would make use of cryptography and encoded transmissions to conceal their communication from the enemy. With the internet age, the importance of cryptography and network security has become paramount especially for safeguarding banking data, identity details, confidential data, amongst others. Studying Cryptography and Network Security, you will get to know about the concepts of cryptanalysis as well as aims to develop knowledge of the mathematics used in cryptology and cryptography.
Read All About Building A Career in Cyber Law!
Since, in order to enter any career field, one needs to possess certain qualifications and abilities. Similarly, in order to thrive in Cryptography and Network Security, one needs to possess the following skills:
- Knowledge of software applications and IT Security hardware
- Understanding of coding languages like Python, C++, Java, Ruby on Rails, etc. as well as practical experience of working on computer operating systems such as MS Windows, Linux.
- Good communication and writing skills
- Time Management Skills
Let us now discuss some of the rudimentary requirements during the admission process- eligibility, fees structure, syllabus, and more.
- The candidates must have 10+2 degrees with at least 45% marks or equivalent with science stream (preferably with maths for B.Tech)
- Proof of english proficiency – IELTS, TOEFL, PTE
- Recommendation letters, SOP, updated CV
- Bachelors’ degrees with a minimum score of 3 GPA or percentile equivalent (for post graduate degree)
Universities abroad are a little bit expensive with a general fees range of around $20,000- $50,000. The fees in Indian universities vary between INR 20,000- 2,00,000. It may be higher in private universities.
The course duration is around 3-4 years for undergraduate degrees (B.Tech or B.Sc or B.E)
The course duration is around 1-2 years for postgraduate degrees (M.Tech or M.Sc)
Under Graduation Syllabus
- Introduction to Cyber Security
- Cyber Security Vulnerabilities and Cyber Security Safeguards
- Securing Web Application, Services and Servers
- Intrusion Detection and Prevention
- Cryptography and Network Security
- Cyberspace and the Law
- Cyber Forensics
Post Graduation Syllabus
- Digital Securities
- Malware Analysis Introduction
- Online Anonymity
- Basic Analysis
- Cryptography and Secure Communication
- Malware Analysis in Virtual Machine
- Cyber Crime Issues and Investigation
- Basic Dynamic Analysis
- Digital Forensics
- Malware Functionality
- Introduction to Python
- Ethical Hacking
- Using Modules and Data Structures
- Final Year Project
- String and File Manipulation
- Network Programming
- Scapy – A Python Tool for Security Testing
List of Courses Offered in Cryptography & Network Security
There are various programs in Cryptography and Network Security offered by numerous universities across the globe. We have listed some of the major bachelor’s and master’s degree courses available in this field:
- MSc in Mathematical Cryptography by Research
- PhD in Mathematical Cryptography
- Bachelor of Computer Science- Major in Cryptography and Security
- MSc in Mathematics for Cryptography and Communications
- Advanced Diploma of Information Technology (Network Security)
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Network Security)
- MSc in Network Security
- Graduate Certificate course in Cryptography and Network Security
- Graduate Certificate in Network Security and Information Assurance
- Master of Engineering in Information and Network Security
- Master of Information Technology in Networking and Security
- Master of Information Technology- Major in Network Security
- MSc in Network and Information Security
Now, let’s take a look at some of these programs in detail.
Graduate Certificate Course in Cryptography and Network Security[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
Graduate Certificate program in Cryptography and Network Security aims to provide an overview into this field of study along with the detailed analysis of previous attacks on cryptosystems as well as ways to prevent them in future.
MSc in Network Security
Master of Science in Network Security equips students with the knowledge and skills needed to keep computer networks safe from attacks and teaches the theory, methods and tools of computer network security. The subjects which are covered in this curriculum includes IT Infrastructure, Network Routing Architectures, Enterprise Switched Networks, Secure Systems, Advanced Network Security Principles, etc.
Master of Cryptography
Master of Cryptography is a programme designed in a way which imparts students with the basic aspects of cryptography and cryptanalysis and further helps them delve deeper into this domain. Subject covered under this program includes Discrete Mathematics, Theory of Probability and Mathematical Statistics, Cryptographic Boolean Function, Cryptanalysis of symmetric systems, Quantum and post-quantum cryptography, Blockchain: mathematical problems and applications, etc.
Top Universities in India
The best Indian Universities providing Cryptography and Network security courses are listed below.
|NSHM Knowledge Campus,
|Master in Science||Information and Cyber Security|
|NIELIT Delhi||PG Diploma
|Information security and cloud computing Information security|
|Marwadi University, Rajkot||Master in Science||Cyber security|
|Brainware University||Master in Science||Advance Networking and Cyber security|
|Hyderabad Institute of Technology and Management, Hyderabad||Bachelor of Technology||Computer science and engineering (cyber security)|
|Calicut University, Calicut||Master in Science
Master in Technology
|Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science, Chennai||Diploma||Cyber security|
|K.R Mangalam University, Gurgaon||Bachelor in Science||Cyber security|
|Amity University, Jaipur||Master in Science||Cyber security|
|Swami Vivekananda University, Kolkata||Master in Science||Advanced networking and cyber security|
|NIMAS, Kolkata||Bachelor in Science||Cyber security|
Top Universities Abroad
There are numerous universities which offers undergraduate and postgraduate program in Cryptography and Network Security to students across the globe. Some of these leading institutions have been given a rundown below.
- TAFE NSW, Australia
- Royal Holloway, University of London, UK
- Merrimack College, United States
- New Jersey Institute of Technology, United States
- University of Limerick, Ireland
- Griffith University, Australia
- Charles Sturt University, Australia
- Griffith College, Ireland
Candidates with a degree in Cryptography and Network Security can work in an array of fields such as government agencies, private industries, IT firms, military organizations or Research and Development institutions, etc. Take a look at the key profiles that you must consider under this domain.
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Information Security Analyst
- Network Security Analyst
- Cryptographic Technician
- Ethical Hacking
- Penetration Tester
- Cyber Legal Service
- Cryptographic Expert
- Project Manager
- System Analyst
- Software Consultant
- Database Designer
- Database Administrator
- Application Programmer
- Network Planning Manager
The average salary of a network security engineer in India is approximately INR 3,00,000 to INR 12,00,000 per annum. The Cyber Security Engineer in the USA earns around $96816 per year. The flexibility in salary and other perks comes along with the experience gained and skills owned.
Also Read: Information Science Engineering
The top recruiters for cyber security experts usually belong to the following domain.
- Digital Forensics
- Cybersecurity Policy
- Computer System Security
Hence, we hope that this blog has helped you understand what Cryptography and Network Security as a career is all about and the job opportunities it has on offer. If you are planning to make a career in Information Technology, but do not know how to begin, contact our experienced Leverage Edu counsellors and we’ll guide you in choosing a suitable course and university that equip you with the necessary knowledge and exposure in this field.