Do you have a way with words and are able to convince anyone with your stories? How about using this talent as a copywriter? Copywriting is a career that many people aim for. But succeeding in this field is more of a challenge than you would expect. Apart from creativity, a copywriter possesses the ability to research and hook the reader. But most importantly, they must get the desired result out of their copy be it signup or just a click. If you are planning a career in copywriting, there are several copywriter courses that can help you improve your skills and ace your career.
This Blog Includes:
- Copywriter: Quick Facts
- Who is a Copywriter?
- Career as a Copywriter
- Types of Copywriters
- List of Copywriter Courses
- List of Online Courses to Become a Copywriter
- How to Become a Copywriter Abroad?
- Skills Required for Copywriting
- Best Copywriting Books
- Salary of a Copywriter
- Career as a Copywriter Top Recruiters
Copywriter: Quick Facts
|Industry||Media And Advertising|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in any field|
|Average Starting Salary||2.5 lakhs per annum|
|Job Opportunity||Marketing Copywriter, Creative Copywriter, Digital Copywriter, SEO Copywriter, Technical Copywriter|
Who is a Copywriter?
A copywriter writes creative and compelling copies for the internet. They examine, plan and produce creative content. The main objective of these copies is to educate, engage and advertise, about the goods and services on behalf of a client. Writing Ads, slogans, blog posts, emails, sales letters, white papers, speeches and scripts are part of their role. Copywriting encompasses brainstorming and storyboarding concepts. It involves extensive research, and stylish guidelines to complete a sales presentation and match the intended tone with the content.
Also Read: How To Be A Content Writer?
Career as a Copywriter
- The media industry relies heavily on copywriting. It is in great demand; every firm, whether service or product-oriented, wants someone to write snappy and concise marketing material in order to raise brand recognition and convert users into customers.
- The copywriter’s responsibilities include: researching and comprehending the key elements of products or services in order to develop writing that reflects them.
- Creating promotional material that will captivate customers and improve sales.
- Assisting creative directors in developing concepts for a brand’s advertising and marketing.
- Writing ads for a variety of media, including newspapers, magazines, radio, television, billboards, websites, blogs, and social media.
- Brochures, yearly reports, sales and promotional materials, and so on
- A passion for writing is required for pursuing a profession in copywriting. One must have studied English since elementary school.
Types of Copywriters
- Brand Copywriter: The brand copywriter must continually exemplify the brand strategy of the company for which they work. They must write copy that is focused on the target audience.
- Digital Copywriter: A digital copywriter may concentrate on one or more types of copywriting. To market a product or service, they must develop content.
- SEO Copywriter: An SEO copywriter writes sales content by stimulating search engines and employing appropriate keywords to index a website in order to attract high-quality visitors, which leads to increased sales.
- Social Media Copywriter: For the firm they work for, social media copywriters create messages, social media postings, and other social media-related content.
- Marketing Copywriter: A marketing copywriter creates imaginative and convincing text to persuade customers to buy products or services.
- Technical Copywriter:A technical copywriter’s job is to generate convincing and informative copy that encourages consumers to buy or use technical products and services.
- Public Relation Copywriter: The public relations copywriter must first figure out what the press wants and then generate material that caters to that audience.
- Direct Response Copywriter: A direct response copywriter is needed to develop sales copy that will elicit a quick response from customers.
List of Copywriter Courses
Aspirants can pursue copywriter courses to learn writing skills, editing skills, grammar, sentence formation, and research skills. There are certain degree courses that students can pick to become great copywriters. Students can pursue related degree courses in English Literature, Journalism, Mass Communication and Marketing.
A degree in English Literature allows students to learn about various avenues of English. It is designed for reading books and novels, critiquing prose and poetry and gaining a deeper knowledge of signs and words used in everyday life. Students can learn basic and advanced skills of English writing.
Top-ranked universities for English Literature are:
- The University of Oxford
- The University of Cambridge
- Harvard University
- University of California (Berkeley)
- Stanford University
- The University of Edinburgh
Also Read: History of English Literature
Journalism and Mass Communication
Journalism is a course where candidates collect, create, evaluate and finally publish news in the form of print media or electronic media. After pursuing a degree in journalism, students can choose to become a journalist, radio jockey, news anchor, or copywriter.
- Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication
- BA in Journalism
- MA in Journalism
- MA Convergent Journalism
- MA Broadcast Journalism
- Diploma in Journalism
- Certificate Course in Journalism
We can look at a few of the prominent universities abroad offering Journalism courses.
- Newcastle University
- King’s College London
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- Monash University
- Carleton University
- Ryerson University
- University of British Columbia
Marketing & Advertising
Copywriting is an important element of marketing and advertising. Copywriters in the marketing industry are responsible for producing and engaging clear and creative copies for various marketing channels such as brochures, catalogues, print advertisements or websites. A degree in marketing and advertising along with some previous experience will land you a good copywriting job. Below are the top courses of marketing, a candidate can pursue are:
- BA in Marketing
- BSc in Marketing Management
- MA in Marketing
- Bachelors in Media Management
- BA Advertising and Brand Management
- BA Advertising, Sales Promotion and Sales Management
- Diploma in Digital Marketing
- Post Graduate Diploma in Advertising
Below are the best-ranked universities offering the same:
- Coventry University
- University of Greenwich
- The University of Texas at Austin
- University of Illinois
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Michigan
- Middlesex University
- London South Bank University
- Arizona State University
List of Online Courses to Become a Copywriter
Besides pursuing degree and diploma copywriter courses, students can discover various online copywriter courses offered by Skillshare, Coursera, and Udemy taught by the world’s best teachers and writers. You can learn the basics and start enhancing your copywriting skills:
|How to Write a Web Copy||(Click here)|
|Social Media Copywriting Masterclass||(Click here)|
|Copywriting Basics for Successful Sales||(Click here)|
|Web Design and Copywriting||(Click here)|
|The Complete Copywriting Course||(Click here)|
|Copywriting Secrets||(Click here)|
|Modern Copywriting||(Click here)|
|The Strategy of Copywriting||(Click here)|
|Creative Writing||(Click here)|
How to Become a Copywriter Abroad?
- You can pursue a career in copywriting in another country since it offers more breadth and better work prospects, as well as the opportunity to travel and settle overseas.
- There are few copywriting-specific courses available abroad, however you may select between a certificate programme, a bachelor’s degree, or a master’s degree in copywriting.
- There are no standard requirements for taking copywriting courses overseas; instead, universities determine their own requirements.
- However, every college overseas requires a solid score on language proficiency exams such as IELTS, TOEFL, and PTA, as well as a statement of purpose and résumé.
Top Copywriting Courses Abroad
|Course||College Offering the Course|
|Ontario Graduate Certificate in Advertising Copywriting||Humber College, Canada|
|Professional Development Diploma In Art Direction and Copywriting||West Herts College, UK|
|Business, Master of Science (M.S.) with a concentration in branding/copywriting||Virginia Commonwealth University, USA|
|Bachelor of Arts in Advertising: Copywriting Concentration||Temple University, USA|
Skills Required for Copywriting
|Passion for Writing||Creative Thinking||Researching and Analytical Skills|
|Critical Thinking||Craft Catchy Headlines and Content||Ability to Learn and Grow|
Best Copywriting Books
Copywriting books are another way to make your learning better. So, if you are looking for a beneficial list of books, provide below are some of them to make you create copies from the heart:
|The Adweek Copywriting Handbook by Joseph Sugarman||(Click here to buy)|
|Copywriting Secrets by Jim Edwards||(Click here to buy)|
|How to Write Better Copy by Steve Harrison||(Click here to buy)|
|Copywriting: The Definitive Beginner’s Guide by Adam Richards||(Click here to buy)|
|The Copywriter’s Handbook by Robert W. Bly||(Click here to buy)|
|Everybody Writes by Ann Handley||(Click here to buy)|
Salary of a Copywriter
Now that you know what it takes to become a copywriter, you surely must be wondering what you receive after you become one! Copywriting can fetch you wholesome deals as both freelancer and a full-time employee as they are highly pivotal to sales conversions for any company. As per payscale and salary.com, the median annual copywriter salary is $47,838 (INR 35 lakhs approx). 80% of the copywriters have an earning between $35,000 – $65,000 (INR 25 lakhs – 48 lakhs approx) on an annual basis.
According to the experience and the location, the following are the average salaries of the copywriters:
|Copywriter Position||Average Salary (in USD)|
|Junior Copywriter in Medford||$42,000 (INR 31 lakhs)|
|Junior Copywriter in NewYork City||$61,000 (INR 45 lakhs)|
|Senior Copywriter in Sacramento||$71,000 (INR 52 lakhs)|
|Senior Copywriter in NewYork City||$93,000 (INR 69 lakhs)|
Career as a Copywriter Top Recruiters
|P&G||Times of India|
|The Indian Express||Splendid Digital Solutions|
|Zee Telefilms||O & M|
There are several copywriting courses that you can choose from to kickstart your career. If you are interested in pursuing copywriting studies abroad or any other related course, Leverage Edu has got your back! Give us a call on 1800 57 2000 and begin with your application process.