This Blog Includes:
|Exam||Combined Medical Services Examination (CMSE)|
|Frequency||Once a year|
|Upper Age Limit||32 years|
|Mode of Examination||online|
|Admit card Availability||3 weeks before exam|
|No of test centres||41|
|Application fee||Rs 200/-|
What is CMSE Exam?
Combined Medical Services Examination (CMSE) is conducted by the UPSC every year with an aim of hiring medical graduates into various organizations and services that come under the government of India. This is a national level exam that is conducted as per the rules published by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare in the Gazette of India. It is one of the most prestigious examinations conducted in India where doctors across the country are recruited for various government departments.
Posts Filled Through Combined Medical Services Examination
- Assistant Divisional Medical Officer in the Railways
- Assistant Divisional Medical Officer in Indian Ordnance Factories Health Services
- Junior Scale Posts in Central Health Services
- General Duty Medical Officer in New Delhi Municipal Council
- General Duty Medical Gr.-II in East Delhi Municipal Corporation, North Delhi Municipal Corporation and South Delhi Municipal Corporation
|Assistant Divisional Medical Officer in the Railways||300|
|Assistant Medical Officer in Indian Ordnance Factories Health Services||66|
|Junior Scale Posts in Central Health Services||182|
|General Duty Medical Officer in New Delhi Municipal Council||04|
|General Duty Medical Officer Gr.-II in East, North and South Delhi Municipal Corporation||07|
Eligibility for CMSE
The eligibility criteria for applying for Combined Medical Services Examination (CMSE) are as follows:
- The applicant must be a citizen of India / subject of Nepal/ subject of Bhutan/Tibetian Refugee the January 1, 1962 or a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- To be eligible the candidate should have passed the written and practical parts of the MBBS exam. The candidates who are yet to appear for the final exam may also apply but will have to produce a proof of having passed the exam if proven to be eligible, post the entrance test. Candidates yet to complete the rotating internship may also be eligible but will be appointed only post the completion of the internship.
- A candidate for this examination must not have attained the age of 32 years as on August 1, 2020, i.e. the candidate must have been born not earlier than August 2, 1988.
The upper age limit is relaxable to those belonging to sc/st (by 5 years), to OBC ( by 3 years ) and for a maximum of 10 for persons with disability.
UPSC CMSE 2021 Important Dates
|CMSE Notification||May 05, 2021|
|Application||May 05, 2021|
|Last date||May 25, 2021|
|CMSE admit card||July 2021|
|Exam date||August 29, 2021|
- The medical officer will be posted in any central department .
- The medical officer is supposed to perform medical duties as done by any doctor.
- Indian Govt. can send the officer to any department to serve its employees, retired employees and their dependents.
- The medical officer is responsible for allotting duties to the medical staff to ensure the sure smooth running of OPD.
- The medical officer makes arrangements to distribute work at the time of emergency. The officer manages his staff in normal OPD hours and is allowed to organize laboratory services.
- The medical officer is expected to be within 8 KM radius only as the medical officer’s help may be required. The medical officer will get all the benefits as other central government employees get when it comes to accommodations, bonus, salary and other things.
Must Read: Government Exams after 12th Science
The applicants will be shortlisted on the basis of examination, personality test, document verification and Medical Examination. The examination will be computed based and comprising 500 marks. Each paper carries a maximum of 250 marks. The questions are MCQ type and set only in English. There is a one – third negative marking for every incorrect answer.
The personality test/ interview is assigned 100 marks. Only the candidates clearing the computer based examination are qualified for this. The personality test assesses the candidate’s intellectual curiosity, critical powers of assimilation, balance of judgment and alertness of mind, ability for social cohesion, integrity of character, initiative and capability for leadership.
|Paper I||General Medicine||96|
|Paper – II||Surgery||40|
|Paper – II||Gynecology & obstetrics||40|
|Paper – II||Preventive and social medicine.||40|
Syllabus for Combined Medical Services Examination (CMSE)
Paper I – General Medicines and Paediatrics
- Respiratory diseases.
- Genito – Urinary
- Hematology. (vii) Endocrinology.
- Metabolic disorders.
- Infections / Communicable Disease
- Nutrition / Growth.
- Diseases of the skin (Dermatology).
- Musculoskeletal System
- Emergency Medicine.
- Common Poisoning.
- Snake Bit.
- Tropical Medicine.
- Critical Care Medicine.
- Emphasis on Medical procedures.
- Patho Physiological basis of diseases.
- Vaccines preventable diseases and Non vaccines preventable diseases.
- Vitamin deficiency diseases.
- Common childhood emergencies
- Basic NewBorn Care
- Normal developmental milestones
- Accidents and poisonings in children
- Birth defects and counselling including autism
- Immunization in children
- Recognizing children with special needs and management
- National programmes related to child health
- Gynaecology & Obstetrics
- Preventive & Social Medicine
(I) General Surgery
- Blood Vessels
- Cysts / Sinuses
- Head & Neck
- Alimentary tract
- Liver, Bile, Pancreas
- Abdominal wall
- Abdominal injuries
(II) Urological Surgery
(III) Neuro Surgery
(IV) Otorhinolaryngology E.N.T.
(V) Thoracic Surgery
(VI) Orthopedic Surgery
(X) Diagnosis and management of common surgical ailments
(XI) Pre-operative and post operative care of surgical patients
(XII) Medicolegal and ethical issues of surgery
(XIII) Wound healing
(XIV) Fluid and electrolyte management in surgery
(XV) Shock patho-physiology and management
(b) Gynaecology & Obstetrics
- Ante-natal conditions
- Intra-natal conditions
- Post-natal conditions
- Management of normal labours OR Complicated labour
- Questions on applied anatomy
- Questions on applied physiology of menstruation and fertilization
- Questions on infections in genital tract
- Questions on neoplasma in the genital tract
- Questions on displacement of the uterus
- Normal delivery and safe delivery practices
- High Risk pregnancy and management
- IntraUterine growth retardation
- Medicolegal examination in obgy and Gynae including Rape
(III) Family Planning
- Conventional contraceptives
- U.D. and Oral pills
- Operative procedure, sterilization and organization of programmes in the urban and rural surroundings
- Medical Termination of Pregnancy
(c) Preventive Social and Community Medicine
- Social and Community Medicine
- Concept of Health, Disease and Preventive Medicine
- Health Administration and Planning
- General Epidemiology
- Demography and Health Statistics
- Communicable Diseases
- Environmental Health
- Nutrition and Health
- Non-communicable disease
- Occupational Health
- Genetics and Health
- International Health
- Medical Sociology and Health Education
- Maternal and Child Health
- National Programmes
- Management of common health problems
- Ability to monitor national health programmes
- Knowledge of maternal and child wellness
- Ability to recognize, investigate, report, plan and manage community health problems including malnutrition and emergencies.
Check Out – Bank Exams 2021
How to apply for Combined Medical Services Examination (CMSE)?
The application process for CMSE 2021 will most likely commence in April 2021 by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Those interested can access the official UPSC website with the help of the link https://upsconline.nic.in and fill the online CMSE 2021 application form. The detailed instructions on how to fill the online application form for CMSE 2021 exam is available on the official website.
This was all about the Combined Medical Services Examination (CMSE). We hope you find this blog useful. For more interesting blogs and other information related to competitive exams, tune into Leverage Edu.