The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT), a national level exam, is organized by the Consortium of National Law University (NLU) with an aim to grant admission to the deserving candidates who are eligible to study law courses in India at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Offering courses in 21 participating National Law colleges, and a plethora of other institutes across the country, the admission test acts as a gateway to make a lucrative career in the field of law. Being one of the prestigious Law entrance exams, CLAT has in a recent move made some changes to update the test pattern. It no longer tests the cramming ability of the students and instead, question-related to current affairs are asked. In this blog, we will shed light on various aspects pertaining to the exam.
This Blog Includes:
- What is CLAT Exam?
- CLAT 2022 Exam Highlights
- CLAT 2022 Notification
- Important Dates for CLAT Exam 2022
- CLAT 2022 Eligibility Criteria
- CLAT 2022 Exam Pattern
- CLAT 2022 Syllabus
- CLAT Registration 2022
- CLAT 2022 Fees Structure
- CLAT 2022 Admit Card
- CLAT 2022 Exam Centres
- CLAT 2022 Result
- CLAT 2022 Cutoff and Ranking
- CLAT 2022 Selection Process
- Courses Offered Through CLAT
- CLAT UG Counselling Schedule Date 2022
- Top 10 CLAT Colleges in India
- Top NLUs Accepting CLAT
- CLAT Exam Analysis
- Contact Details
- Top CLAT Books
- CLAT 2022 Mock Test
- Key Preparation Tips For CLAT 2022
What is CLAT Exam?
CLAT (Common-Law Admission Test) is a national-level entrance test for admission to 21 of India’s most prestigious national law colleges as well as other private universities. If you pass the CLAT, you can apply for admission to 3-year/5-year Integrated LLB and LLM programs.The CLAT test is held once a year by the National Law University (NLU) among the CLAT Committee’s 21 members. Other private law institutions across the country, as well as Public Sector Undertakings, utilise CLAT results for admissions and recruiting.Until 2018, CLAT was administered by NLUs on a rotating basis. However, beginning in 2019, the CLAT will be administered by a permanent entity called the “Consortium of NLUs,” which is made up of NLUs. NLSIU Bangalore is the organization’s headquarters.
CLAT 2022 Exam Highlights
|CLAT Full Form||Common Law Admission Test|
|Offered levels||Undergraduate (CLAT UG)
Graduate (CLAT PG)
|Mode of application||Online mode|
|Application fees||Rs. 4000 for Gen, OBC, PWD and NRI categories
Rs. 3500 for SC, ST and BPL categories
|Eligible courses||BA LLB, BBA LLB, B.Sc LLB, LLM|
CLAT 2022 Notification
On December 26, 2021, the Consortium of NLUS published CLAT Notification 2022, or Common Law Admission Test Notification. The CLAT 2022 Notification pdf contains all pertinent test information, including exam dates, eligibility, exam pattern, and application form. After the CLAT Notification 2022 is out, candidates must examine and read it. The CLAT 2022 Notification document for UG is provided below.
Important Dates for CLAT Exam 2022
The date of admit card and result are yet to be announced by the official authority of CLAT. Given below are the important dates that you need to know for the CLAT Exam 2022:
|Application opens||01 January 2022|
|Application Deadline||31 March 2022|
|Exam Date||08 May 2022|
Also Read: Highest Paid Lawyers in India
CLAT 2022 Eligibility Criteria
While appearing for an examination, there are certain prerequisites that you need to successfully fulfil. So, to be able to appear in the CLAT 2022, based on the program that you are applying for, there are certain conditions that you need to satisfy. The eligibility criteria for the undergraduate program i.e LLB are:
- The candidate must have completed their senior secondary education or its equivalent from a recognized board or university.
- Applicant must have scored a minimum of 45% marks in 10+2 exam to be able to appear for the CLAT.
- For those hailing from an underprivileged background such as Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe, a relaxation of 5% marks is allowed, i.e. they need only 40% marks in their 10+2.
- Those who are appearing for their 10+2 in the upcoming March/April 2022 session can also apply provided they can provide the proof of successfully passing the qualifying examination at the time of admission.
Note: As per the guidelines of CLAT, there is no bar in terms of the age limit for the examination.
For those applying for a postgraduate degree in Law, the eligibility criteria for admission has been mentioned below:
- The candidate must hold an LLB degree from a recognized University to be eligible to apply for CLAT.
- Those belonging to General/PWD/NRI/OBC/OCI/POI must have obtained a minimum of 55% marks or its equivalent to qualify for the examination. A relaxation of 5% is given to those belonging to Scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Castes.
- Candidates who are appearing in their final year in May 2022 can also apply for this exam.
Also Read: Law Subjects
CLAT 2022 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern of CLAT varies depending on whether the applicant is appearing for the undergraduate program or a postgraduate course. When it comes to the bachelor level course, there are a total of 150 questions asked in the examination of 1 mark each that one needs to attempt in 120 minutes. For each correct answer, 1 mark will be awarded while for every incorrect answer, 0.25 marks will be deducted. There are five sections in the exam that you need to study for. These are:
|Section||Number of Questions|
As far as the CLAT exam pattern for postgraduate courses is concerned, there are a total of 100 multiple choice questions asked which have to be completed in a span of 2 hours. Here, every question carries one mark and the two subjective questions carry 25 marks each. So, the total marks for the exam are 150 marks. In the case of MCQs, every incorrect answer would lead to the deduction of 0.25 marks. While the syllabus for objective questions covers Constitutional Law, Torts, Criminal Law, Contracts, International Law, Jurisprudence, IPR, amongst other Law subjects, the curriculum for the subjective questions includes Law topics and Contemporary Issues.
Note: To qualify the examination, a minimum of 40% marks is to be secured by the candidates appearing for admission to LLM. though for students hailing from SC/ST and PWD background are provided with a relaxation of 5% i.e. 35% marks are mandatory.
CLAT 2022 Syllabus
The CLAT exam is conducted every year for admissions to top law universities in India. The exam is a two-hour test which contains 150 multiple-choice questions carrying 1 mark each. For every wrong answer, 0.25 marks are reduced. The entire paper is divided between 5 subjects:
- English Language: This section contains comprehension and questions based on the given passages. The passages are derived from fiction or nonfiction writings and are designed to check the comprehension, language and problem-solving skills of the candidates.
- Current Affairs: In this section, passages are from Indian and world news, journalistic articles and sources. It tests the candidates’ awareness and common knowledge about contemporary events, arts, culture, world news and historical events.
- Legal Reasoning: Passages related to legal situations, public policies, philosophical awareness and moral matters will be addressed in this section.
- Logical Reasoning: Passages and questions will be related to logical reasoning, arguments, premises and conclusions etc.
- Quantitative Techniques: This section contains facts, propositions, graphs, and basic mathematical questions including areas such as ratios and proportions, basic algebra, mensuration and statistical estimation.
Also Read: Meet India’s Most Expensive Lawyer – Harish Salve
CLAT Registration 2022
The application process of the CLAT exam involves a series of steps that one needs to follow. These have been listed below:
- Complete the online registration to make an account on the official website.
- Following a sign-up, you can begin the application form filling process.
- During the form filling, keep in mind to save the details that you have filled as well as cross every piece of information during all steps.
- Upload an original copy of all the necessary documents.
- An application is considered to be successful once the payment is made. Payment can be completed via Netbanking, Credit and Debit Card, etc.
Note: The authorities of CLAT will declare three provisional merit lists. The National University for Studies and Research in Law(NUSRL) will be responsible for the counselling and seat allotment process for the 2022 examination.
CLAT 2022 Fees Structure
One has to pay the fees of the examination after the successful completion of their application and cross-check their details. If by any chance you have spotted a mistake after the fees submission, then you would have to start a new application and pay again. Tabulated below are the payment details for CLAT:
|Category of Students||Mode of Payment||Fees|
|General Category||Online||Rs. 4000|
|Other Backward Classes||Online||Rs. 4000|
|SC & ST||Online||Rs. 3500|
Also Read: Tips to Crack Competitive Exams
CLAT 2022 Admit Card
Admit card is generated a week prior to the date of examination. It contains the venue, date, and time of your exam along with your personal details. No student is allowed to enter the examination center without admit card. Here are the steps to download the CLAT admit card:
- Visit the official website of CLAT
- Enter your registration number and password
- Click on admit card option and it will be displayed on your screen
- Print two copies of your admit card
CLAT 2022 Exam Centres
The CLAT 2021 test was held in 84 cities across India, rather than the usual 67. Each city will have numerous CLAT 2022 exam centres, depending on the number of applicants sitting the law entrance exam. Candidates can pick from three CLAT exam cities when filling out the CLAT 2022 application form, depending on their convenience.
CLAT 2022 Result
The result date is yet to be announced by the officials of CLAT. The result is announced online and here are the steps to view your details:
- Visit the official website and click on the result link
- Enter your registration number with password/Date of Birth
- Result will be displayed on your screen and you can directly download it
CLAT 2022 Cutoff and Ranking
To analyze the completion and exam, it is critical to consider the previous year’s CLAT colleges ranking and cut-off. Previous years’ CLAT test college-wise cutoff marks are available to view. Following the exam analysis, you may view the CLAT predicted cutoff.
- CLAT expected cut off for Top 3 NLUs should be 98-103
- CLAT expected cut off for Top 10 NLUs should be 90-95
- It should be 83 for at least one of the NLUs.
CLAT UG Cutoff Marks 2021
The table below depicts the opening and closing ranks of the various NLUs in 2019.
|National Law Universities (NLUs)||General Category|
|Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
|NLU Odisha Cuttack||465||879|
CLAT 2022 Selection Process
There will be three stages to the CLAT 2022 selection process:
- CLAT 2022 Online Exam
- Merit List
Following the CLAT test, the CLAT 2022 counseling phase will begin, with candidates being assigned a seat in the NLU’s preferred order (as indicated on the CLAT 2022 online application form), depending on seat availability and merit list. A number of CLAT seat allotment lists will be made public. Check out the CLAT Seat Allotment and Counselling Process, as well as CLAT Seat Allotment information, below.
Also Read: How to Become a Litigation Lawyer?
Courses Offered Through CLAT
CLAT is the basic criteria for getting admission into various Law programs across India. Except for NLU Delhi, all other NLU’s and other Law colleges across India accept the CLAT exam as the basis of their enrollment. Given below is a list of courses that you can pursue after passing the CLAT Exam.
|BA LLB||Bachelors of Arts LLB|
|BSc LLB||Bachelors of Science LLB|
|BCom LLB||Bachelors of Commerce LLB|
|BBA LLB||Bachelors of Business Administration LLB|
|BSW LLB||Bachelors of Social Work LLB|
|LLM||Master of Law|
CLAT UG Counselling Schedule Date 2022
|Stage I||The result will be announced and a merit list will be published.||To be announced|
|Stage II||Publication of the first list of applicants that have been provisionally picked||To be announced|
|Stage III||Counseling expenses must be paid.||Within 5 days after publication of the first list of Provisionally selected candidates|
|Stage IV||Publication of the second list of applicants that have been provisionally picked||To be announced|
|Stage V||Publication of the third list of applicants that have been provisionally selected||To be announced|
|Stage VI||Publication of the fourth list of applicants who have been provisionally selected||To be announced|
|Stage VII||The fifth and final list of provisionally picked candidates will be published.||To be announced|
|Stage VIII||All payments must be paid in full, authentic documents must be presented, and all other requirements must be completed.||To be announced|
|Stage IX||Admission to the individual NLUs has been finalized.||To be announced|
Top 10 CLAT Colleges in India
There are a number of national and public universities across India which consider the CLAT Exam as an important eligibility requirement. To give you an idea regarding the same, here is a list of top universities accepting the CLAT Exam:
|Public Universities||Private Universities|
|National Law School of India University, Bangalore||Azim Premji University, Bengaluru|
|NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad||Ramaiah Institute of Legal Studies (RILS), Bengaluru|
|National Law University, Jodhpur||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS), Mumbai|
|The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata||Lloyd Law College, Greater Noida|
|Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar||School of Law, The NorthCap University, Gurugram, Haryana|
|Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala||Amity University, Noida|
|Dr Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow||Asian Law College, Noida|
|National Law University, Cuttack||Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmadabad|
|National Law University and Judicial Academy, Guwahati||JIMS Engineering Management Technical Campus School of Law, Greater Noida|
|Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur||Indore Institute of Law, Indore|
Top NLUs Accepting CLAT
Listed below are the 22 NLUs registered under CLAT, which are considered to be the best law colleges in India:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
- National Academy of Legal Study & Research University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)
- National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
- National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
- National Law University, Cuttack, Odisha (NLUO)
- National University of Study & Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
- National Law University & Judicial Academy, Guwahati, Assam (NLUJAA)
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam (DSNLU)
- Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli (TNNLS)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai (MNLU)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur (MNLU)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Aurangabad (MNLU)
- Himachal Pradesh National Law University (HPNLU)
- Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur (MPDNLU)
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar National Law University, Rai, Sonipat (DBRANLU)
Click Here for CLAT 2020 Question Paper
Click Here for CLAT Sample Papers
CLAT Exam Analysis
- Address: P.O. Bag 7201, Nagarbhavi, Bangalore
- Email Id: email@example.com
- Contact No.: 08047162020
Top CLAT Books
To get through any competitive exam, be it CLAT or any other entrance exam, books from the best of publishers like Arihant and S.Chand along with practice tests and online video tutorials. Glance over the following table containing toppers-recommended CLAT books and you can visit the ‘buy’ link to purchase. Are you searching for subject-specific CLAT books? Check out our blog on CLAT Books:
|Name of the Book||Author||Link|
|Universal’s Guide To Clat &LL.B Entrance Examination||Lexis Nexis||Buy Here|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis||Buy Here|
|CLAT Study Kit||Lexis Nexis||Buy Here|
|English (CLAT)||R.K Gupta||Buy Here|
|CLAT 2021: 12 Mock Tests||GKP||Buy Here|
|Self Study Guide CLAT 2021||Arihant Experts||Buy Here|
|Lucent’s General Knowledge||Dr Binay Karna, R. P. Suman, and others||Buy Here|
Also Read: AILET Exam
CLAT 2022 Mock Test
- Mock exams feature questions that are comparable to those on the exam. As a result, completing these problems will assist candidates in determining the level of difficulty of CLAT 2022 and planning appropriately.
- Exam preparation (or lack thereof) can be determined by how well you do on mock tests. If you aren’t ready, you may need to pull your socks up and strive harder.
- Doing well in mock examinations will instil confidence in the individual to carry over to the real exam.
- CLAT practise exams will educate candidates time management skills as well as how to avoid a difficult situation by remaining calm.
- Effective question prioritisation is an art that may be honed by taking the CLAT practise test. Students who learn this technique will be able to answer all of the sure-fire questions first, before moving on to the more difficult and uncertain questions.
Key Preparation Tips For CLAT 2022
Mentioned below are the key tips which answer our query of how to prepare for CLAT. You can have a look here:
- Candidates must prepare a time plan keeping in mind the months left for the primary exam day.
- One year time plan is usually considered essential for a strong preparation.
- The syllabus is divided into four segments so the candidate must prepare to keep in mind the division.
- Candidates must appear for as many mock tests as possible to get a real feel of the examination.
- Taking tests is considered necessary; what is equally important is analysing the mock scores to get knowledge of the weak areas that need attention.
- Choose the right study resources. A candidate might enrol for a preparation course or rely on self-preparation. For a candidate who is preparing by themselves, they must select the right study resources. There are various options out there to choose from, but a candidate must select resources that perfectly suit their needs.
- As they say, practice is the key; it truly is. Practising several questions from every section is very important to understand the wide variety of problems that might come.
- Time management is also something that candidates should plan wisely. Candidates must know how many exact hours should be devoted to every section while preparing.
- Revising the syllabus two months before the exam is of utmost importance, the last two months should be devoted to revising all the areas covered.
- GK and current affairs are one of the most important sections of the exam, so to prepare for that a candidate must regularly go through the newspapers and editorials to keep in touch with everything that’s happening around.
The CLAT exam can be taken by all candidates who have graduated 12th grade irrespective of their academic background.
CLAT is the gateway to Law in India and Law is great and admirable profession undertaken by thousands of Indians every year.
The most common courses under CLAT are BA LLB, BSc LLB, B Com LLM, BBA LLB and LLM.
Hopefully, this blog has given you an insight into the CLAT exam. But if you are feeling confused about which course to pursue to make a career in law, you can get in touch with our expert counsellors at Leverage Edu who will assist you in finding the right course and University through our revolutionary AI-enabled tool.