Civil Engineers are technical professionals who are responsible for analyzing, devising, designing and maintenance of infrastructure and facilities. From designing urban structures like shopping malls, sports complex, and official buildings to building power plants, tunnels, and oil rigs, there is an array of industries civil engineers can work in. After completing an undergraduate program in this field, Civil Engineers can either pursue higher studies or can look for varied job opportunities in this field. Through this blog, we will walk you through the multitude of Civil Engineering jobs for freshers and the varied range of industries and sectors offering work opportunities in this field.
There are a multitude of Civil Engineering jobs offered across the globe. The essential pre-requisite is a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and additional work experience is also preferred. But before applying for career opportunities in Civil Engineering, it is important to take a look at the skills required to build a lucrative career in this field. Below are some of the transferable skills which companies look for when offering Civil Engineering jobs for freshers :
- Excellent data interpretation and numeracy skills
- Good project management and communication skills
- Problem-solving with a bent of creativity
- Adept in software like AutoCAD, Primavera, GeoMatics, etc.
- A dedicated team player
Civil Engineering Jobs for Freshers: Major Industries & Companies
Under the expansive stream of Civil Engineering, you can discover a wide range of job prospects in several industries. Here is a comprehensive list of different types of sectors, industries and areas in which you can explore an immense number of Civil Engineering jobs for freshers.
- Infrastructure and Real Estate Sector: Construction of dams, highways, buildings, residential complexes, malls, skyscrapers, bridges, tunnels, roads, etc.
- Mining Sector: Inspect the soils and project sites and analyze the topographical, geologic and other relevant data to plan a project.
- Oil and Gas Industry: Analyze, design, and modify offshore structures, maintain assets, provide technical support, design Pipe racks, and tanks, etc.
- Water and Public Health: Prepare a blueprint for local and national authorities for the transport of waste or sewage water, modify the existing sewage and wastewater management systems, designing and commissioning plants, etc.
- Management Services: Work as consultants or business development managers in industries like aerospace, oil and natural gas, road and shipping transport, and construction equipment.
Classified within the above-mentioned sectors, below are the top Indian companies offering Civil Engineering jobs for freshers :
- Hindustan Construction Company
- Larsen and Toubro
- Lanco Infratech
- GMR Group
- Royal Dutch Shell
- Punj Lloyd
- Essar Group
- Jaypee Group
- TATA Projects
- IVRCL Limited
- Afcons Infrastructure Limited
- Reliance Infrastructure Ltd.
- Gammon Infrastructure Projects Ltd.
- Hiranandani Construction Pvt. Ltd.
- IRCON International Ltd.
- East Coast Constructions and Industries Ltd.
- Shapoorji Pallonji & Co Ltd.
Moreover, when it comes to discovering the career prospects in the public sector, there are copious civil engineering jobs for freshers to explore. Many Public Sector Units (PSUs) and state government industries recruit students based on the GATE score. Some of these companies are :
- National Thermal Power Corporation
- Steel Authority of India Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
- National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited
- Delhi Development Authority
- National Highway Authority of India and State Highways
- Rail India Technical and Economic Service
Further, if not India, then you can work in countries like Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE, and China. Not only these countries offer a multitude of civil engineering jobs for freshers but they also pay lucrative salaries. Some of the top global companies in this field are:
- Vinci Construction, France
- Hyundai Engineering and Construction Co. Ltd, China
- Bouygues Construction, France
- Royal BAM Group, Netherlands
- Strabag, Austria
- Balfour Beatty, UK
- Implenia, Switzerland
- Bechtel, USA
- Power Construction Corporation of China
- ACTCO, United Arab Emirates
- Arabian Construction Company, Lebanon
Other than the above options, you can also start your own venture in this field might be tedious but can be highly rewarding. A good Unique Selling Proposition (USP), flexibility in accepting new ideas, in-depth research, strong network, and perseverance can help you in creating an extremely successful business. This will not only benefit you but will also create a multitude of Civil Engineering jobs for freshers. Below are some business ideas for Civil Engineers:
- Rainwater Harvesting Systems
- Land Survey Services
- Construction Materials Manufacturing
- Cement Manufacturing Plants
- Construction Company
Job Profiles in Civil Engineering
In the above-mentioned sectors and industries, here the key Civil Engineer jobs you can choose from:
- Structural Engineer
- Construction Manager
- Engineering Geologist
- Planning Engineer
- Site Supervisor
- Concrete Engineer
- Environmental Consultant
Thus, we hope that this blog provided you with the necessary information on the Civil Engineering jobs for freshers. If you are planning to pursue this field, the experts at Leverage Edu can assist you in choosing an ideal course and university that can equip you with the right technical knowledge and skillset required to build a career in Civil Engineering.