Different industries have varied projects which have to be completed within a stipulated time. This involves formulating a blueprint, managing team, overseeing product quality, and liaising with various stakeholders while keeping the industry standards in mind. But have you thought about how that happens? Project Engineers are the ones responsible for this! By applying subject knowledge and business acumen, such professionals accomplish project objectives. However, to be adept at this, one needs to have requisite academic qualifications. Having an Engineering degree in disciplines like Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, etc is an ideal way of kick-starting your career as a Project Engineer! So, in this blog, we will shed light on various facets of this field and how you can establish a career in it!
This Blog Includes:
Who is a Project Engineer?
In order to manage, create budgets, schedule timelines, and monitor engineering projects, a professional adept with managerial skills and knowledge related to his domain is required. Such experts are known as Project Engineers. Apart from performing calculations and drawing specifications, Project Engineers are also tasked with reviewing proposals, conducting equipment bids, and formulating blueprints. So, in order to establish a flourishing career as a Project Engineer, it is necessary to equip yourself with management and soft skills!
Roles and Responsibilities
If you wish to establish a career as a Project Engineer, then there are certain duties and responsibilities which you need to handle. Enlisted are some of these duties.
- The main role and responsibility of a skilled project engineer are to develop project objectives.
- A Project Engineer frames specifications for all the requirements including equipment.
- In order to come up with effective methods and practices, a Project Engineer works in coordination with senior engineers and managers.
- They interact with the clients for effective interaction in order to interpret their requirements.
- They draw bids as well as create drawings.
- They have a duty to review the proposal & perform calculations.
How to Start Your Career as a Project Engineer?
Being an interdisciplinary field, there are scores of degree and diploma courses that can help you start your career as a Project Engineer. Tabulated below are some of the programs:
|Undergraduate||1. BSc (Hons) Building Services Engineering Project Management
2. Bachelor of Project Management Engineering
3. BSc (Hons) Construction Project Management with Sandwich Year
4. BSc (Hons) in Project Management
5. BSc (Hons) Building Services Engineering Project Management
|Postgraduate||1. MEng Project Management
2. MSc Engineering Project Management
3. MBA in Project Management
4. MSc Construction Project Management
5. MSc Commercial Project Management
6. MA Arts and Project Management
7. MEng in Civil Engineering – Project and Construction Management
8. Master of Property Development and Project Management
9. MSc in Engineering Projects and Systems Management
|Doctoral||Ph.D. in Project and Supply Chain Management
Ph.D. by Published Work Project Management
Ph.D. Project Management
Ph.D. in Civil Engineering – Project and Construction Management
|Diploma||Diploma of Project Management
Graduate Diploma in Project Management
Advanced Diploma of Program Management
Note: This is not an exhaustive list. The courses can vary from one university to another.
With a plethora of degree courses, diverse curriculum, and opportunities to gain industrial exposure, there are scores of universities from where you can kickstart your career as a Project Engineer. Some of them have been given a rundown below:
- Griffith University
- University of Leeds
- Lancaster University
- Texas State University
- Coventry University
- University of British Columbia
- Federation University Australia
- University of Manchester
- McMaster University
- Kingston University London
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- University of Houston
- University of Maryland
- University of South Alabama
- RMIT University
- The University of Auckland
- Wichita State University
- University of Memphis
Career as a Project Engineer: Areas of Employment[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
Now that you are familiar with universities from where you can pursue Project Management courses, let’s now go through the list of areas or sectors where you can find employment opportunities.
- Software Development
- Information Technology (IT)
Hence, the scope of pursuing a career as a Project Engineer is immense. Want to kickstart your career abroad in this field? Not sure how to proceed with the application? Then let the experts at Leverage Edu provide a helping hand. Reach out to our experts through an e-meeting and get assistance right from crafting an SOP to completing the admission formalities!