In order to be successful in a particular field, you need to choose the right course as well as pursue higher studies to further explore career opportunities. Along with finding the right course, it is important to look for the right country to get the best exposure as well as knowledge to progress in your chosen career path. So, in this blog, we will be providing you with the key essentials you need to keep in your mind while planning a career abroad to help you make the most important decision of your life.
This Blog Includes:
Best Job Sites for Making a Career Abroad
Finding work abroad could be tough but you don’t have to worry because now there are many websites through which you could apply for International jobs:
For Long Term Work
|Higher Ed Jobs||https://www.higheredjobs.com/|
For Short Term Work
|Summer Jobs Abroad||http://www.summerjobsabroad.co.uk/Default.aspx|
|One World 365||http://www.oneworld365.org/jobs|
Drafting a Resume for International Jobs
We all know how important your resumes are. It’s basically the first thing through which your employer gets to know about you and it’s through your resume that you make your first impression. We all know the format of a resume and what all needs to be included but when you are applying for an international job, there are certain things that you need to keep in mind:
- Make sure that your resume clearly mentions your nationality, visa status and more importantly your language abilities.
- Craft your CV according to the country where you are applying to work. It’s because the employer wishes to know if you would be able to fit into their environment and culture.
- Do a thorough reach and find out what qualities are admired in a particular country and make sure to make a place for that in your resume. Try to include how you will be an asset to this country.
- Customize your resume according to the position that you are applying for and add skills that fit the criteria.
Checklist of Documents for Work Visa
If you are planning to work abroad, then the most important thing that you need to attain is a work visa. If you don’t have a visa, then none of your qualifications are going to be of any use in making a career abroad. So, to help you out, here is a list of documents that you need to keep in hand while applying for a work visa:
- The candidates need to submit a copy of all their academic transcripts and a record of other necessary educational qualifications like certificates, etc.
- The candidates need to submit corresponding copies for all their professional qualifications
- Proof of prior work experience. (If any)
- Reference letter or LOR from the previous employer.
- Employment letter (if any).
- Valid passport.
If you have all these documents ready, you can easily apply for a work visa to the country of your choices. Apart from this, different countries may have their specific requirements but these are the basics that you need to have with yourself while applying for a work visa.
Work Visa Application Procedure for Making a Career Abroad
Attaining a visa could be a lengthy process but if you have the right documents with you then it won’t be that difficult. So, let’s go through the step by step procedure to apply for a work visa:
- From where to apply?
Online mode – You can apply online for a work visa by visiting the official website of the embassy of any country that you wish to attain a visa of.
Offline mode – In the offline mode, you need to download the application form, fill it and then submit it at the Embassy of the desired country located in your home country.
- Steps that you need to follow
- Start with deciding whether you wish to submit the visa application through online mode or the offline mode.
- Then collect all the required documents and make a copy of them. In case of the online mode, you would need to scan and upload all the documents and in case of offline mode you will need to attach a copy of all your documents along with the application form.
- Make the payment and wait for a response from the concerned authorities.
After you fill the application form and submit the required documents, the embassy will review your application and decide whether you are eligible for getting a work visa or not. And this decision will be completely dependent on your application. So, make sure that you don’t commit any error on this front.
Tips on How to Build a Successful Career Abroad
In the process of making the decision of pursuing a career abroad, there will be a lot of difficulties that will come in your way. You need to begin with selecting the right course that maximizes your learning as well as growth in your career path. After gaining knowledge of a specific field through an ideal course, you can look forward to discovering an array of job prospects in your chosen field. Here are some tips that will assist you in planning your future career in a foreign country by making the right choices with a persistent attitude.
- Career Choices: The first and foremost important thing that you need to keep in mind while selecting your career path is the fact that you should like what you are doing, i.e. your chosen career field should be of your interest. Make sure that you are pursuing a field that you are passionate about. There are several other factors that you will need to keep in mind but throughout the process of choosing an ideal career, the primary thing is to ensure that you are following your interests and zeal towards a specific field.
- Be Open-minded: This goes without saying that you need to be open-minded about a lot of things and factors while planning to pursue a career abroad. Especially if you are looking forward to a career that is beyond the mainstream, then you need to be determined in looking for opportunities beyond the mainstream and breaking out of your comfort zone. You need to look behind the obvious factors which include the choice of location or the choice of the work environment. You need to conquer territories that are yet to be discovered which can only be done if you are exploring places with an open mind and resolute attitude.
- Keep yourself Updated: You need to be thorough with your research and your ideas regarding a career opportunity abroad. Make a plan, strategize your goals and your decisions that must reflect your research and seriousness towards your passion. You also need to look at various factors like cost of living, travel, accommodation etc. that will affect your career choices and you need to ensure that you have the required financial backing for pursuing your dreams. Stay updated about the latest scholarships and grants as well as career opportunities around the world which will play a key part in your plan of pursuing a career abroad.
- Make Connections: Another really important thing that you need to keep in mind is to continuously meet people from your field and build networks and connections. In order for you to succeed in a foreign country, you will require friends and colleagues to count on in times of need. These connections can be made through social media, personal interactions, etc. These relationships that you build over time will help you expand your horizons in various ways, be it personal or professional.
- Be Patient: The right opportunity will come to you in time and you need to open yourself to different possibilities. You need to make your way around every little opportunity that can help you progress further. But, you have to implement patience while keeping yourself open to new experiences until you find an opportunity that is best suited for you. Things will take time to build and they are not going to build themselves and that’s why you need constant effort and motivation.
Building a career abroad is a long and complicated process. The struggle is constant but the friction can be minimized if you know what you want to achieve and the career path you strive to follow. Our experts at Leverage Edu can help you identify your passions and goals and find the right career path to help you follow your dreams.