A physician assistant is a licensed professional who possesses a valid degree to provide patient care to all age groups. They are trained to help patients in primary care areas, diagnosing and treating common illnesses and working with minor procedures. Due to the rise in the shortage of healthcare providers nowadays, physician assistants are a censorious part of our approach to healthcare. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for physician assistants are projected to grow 31% from 2020 to 2030. BSc in Physician Assistant is one such course that can help you build a career in the healthcare industry. Read on to know more.
|Course Name||BSc in Physician Assistant|
|Degree Type||Undergraduate (Bachelor of Science)|
Relevant Read: Amazing Careers in Healthcare Industry
This Blog Includes:
- Program Overview
- Why Study BSc in Physician Assistant?
- BSc in Physician Assistant: Specializations
- Top Universities Abroad
- Eligibility Criteria
- Admission Process
- BSc Physician Assistant: Syllabus
- BSc Physician Assistant: Fees
- Roles & Responsibilities
- Jobs and Salary
- Scope for Higher Studies after BSc Physician Assistant
BSc Physician Assistant is a 3-4 years undergraduate healthcare course. The course is designed specifically for those looking to provide assistance support to doctors in managing healthcare services with ease.
The curriculum is made to teach students how to diagnose patients, order and interpret laboratory x-rays, and examine and treat patients. In addition to these duties, physician assistants also prepare and maintain progress notes, manage some managerial responsibilities, and treat minor injuries. Numerous paramedical enthusiasts have been drawn to the profession by the physician assistant’s rising popularity.
Why Study BSc in Physician Assistant?
A Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Physician Assistant has many advantages.
- This programme will prepare you to enter the healthcare industry with just three years of study. As you advance your career, you will collaborate with other healthcare professionals and gain real-world experience.
- You’ll discover how to identify, handle, and avoid illness. Additionally, you’ll assist patients in a variety of contexts.
- You’ll assist doctors in performing routine procedures and conducting patient examinations as a physician assistant. You’ll be expected to obtain medical histories, conduct physical examinations, request laboratory tests, and make treatment decisions.
- Additionally, you’ll give patients advice, instruct them on how to stay healthy and prevent disease, and you might even be asked to assist with surgery or casting.
- Students will learn fundamental concepts of science, ethics, and humanistic abilities as part of their education. Physician assistant schools’ faculty instil these qualities in their students because they view mentoring as a crucial role.
- Advanced critical thinking, interpersonal abilities, and ethical behaviour are all skills that students will develop during this course.
Relevant Read: BSc in Ophthalmic Technology
BSc in Physician Assistant: Specializations
BSc Physician Assistant trains you for activities like collecting the medical record of patients, examining them and assisting doctors in the diagnosis of the illness to provide the appropriate therapy and medications. During the course, you will be prepared to be adaptable in every medical specialization and specialize in one or several areas throughout your career. Some of the specializations are as follows:
- Emergency medicine
- Family medicine
- General practice
- Internal medicine
- Obstetrics and gynaecology (OB/GYN)
Top Universities Abroad
Listed below are some of the best universities offering BSc Physician Assistant or related courses abroad:
- New York Institute of Technology
- Pennsylvania College of Technology
- University of Toronto
- University of Birmingham
- University of Reading
- University of London
- Brunel University London
- Queen Mary University of London
- University of Chester
- DeMontfort University
- University of Washington
- McMaster University
- University of Manitoba
Join Leverage Live to score High on English Language Tests such as IELTS TOEFL PTE
To pursue this course, you must first meet the eligibility criteria set by the respective university. The requirements may vary for different universities but the general criteria for admission are as mentioned:
- Must have completed higher secondary education in Science Stream
- Must have scored at least 50% in the last qualifying examination
- Must be proficient in English Language Tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE etc.
There are a set of documents you need to submit as a part of the application process to get yourself admitted into the BSc Physician Assistant course. The list of documents required for admission to universities abroad are:
- High school transcripts
- A passport
- Language proficiency scores
- Statement of purpose
- Letter of recommendation
- Additional documents depend upon the universities you are applying for.
Relevant Read: BSc Courses after 12th Science
The B.Sc. The Physician Assistant admissions process is either conducted based on merit or the results of the entrance exam.
- The majority of Indian colleges use the Direct Admission process.
- Candidates chosen for this route are chosen based on their 10+2 grade point average.
- Candidates only need to submit an application to the college or university for this.
- The colleges will announce their cut-off scores following the release of the board results.
- Candidates will be eligible for enrollment at that institution if their scores are greater than or equal to the cut-off scores of the intended college.
- Some colleges have entrance exams for enrollment in the B.Sc. Assistant programme.
- Candidates are chosen for this pathway based on the grades they received in the institution’s entrance exams.
- Candidates must first apply to the university or college for this.
- Candidates will receive an exam schedule from the institute.
- The cut-off or merit list will be made public by the college following the release of the exam results.
- The cut-off/merit list determines which applicants are qualified for admission.
Relevant Read: Allied Health Science Courses, Universities & Careers
BSc Physician Assistant: Syllabus
The following is the most common college’s B.Sc. in physician assistant curriculum:
|1st Year||2nd Year||3rd Year|
|Anatomy||Surgery anesthesiology||Cardiology and cardiac surgery|
|Physiology||Paediatrics and geriatrics||Neurology|
|Introduction to computers||Clinical Microbiology||Nephrology|
|Technical writing||Obstetrics and Gynecology||Gastroenterology|
|In-service training||In-service training||In-service training|
|–||Medical and Pharmacology||–|
BSc Physician Assistant: Fees
The cost of studying BSc Physician Assistant will vary for different universities and countries. But the average cost is around INR 12,00,000 – INR 15,00,000 annually.
Roles & Responsibilities
After graduating there are several responsibilities that come along. A physician assistant is responsible for performing several duties that are determined by their supervising physician
A physician assistant practices in a wide variety of clinical settings and specialities. Day-to-day duties include:
- Making rounds and performing patient exams
- Identifying the illnesses
- Assisting in surgeries
- Interpreting laboratory tests and X-rays
- Prescribing medication
- Creating and managing treatment plans
- Advising patients
Relevant Read: MBA Healthcare Management
Jobs and Salary
|Job Profile||Average Salary (INR)|
|Medical Assistant||Rs. 4.5 lakhs p.a. (Approx.)|
|Drug Safety Associate||Rs. 7 lakhs p.a. (Approx.)|
|Dietician||Rs. 5.5 lakhs p.a. (Approx.)|
|Personal Health Facilitator||Rs. 5 lakhs p.a. (Approx.)|
|Ortho Physician Assistant||Rs. 4 lakhs p.a. (Approx.)|
Scope for Higher Studies after BSc Physician Assistant
After earning a B.Sc. in Physician Assistant studies, there are many opportunities for further study. After completing this course, students may find that pursuing higher education will help their resumes and open up career opportunities that will be very fulfilling. Following a B.Sc. in Physician Assistant studies, students frequently enrol in the following master’s programmes:
BSc Physician Assistant is a 3-4 undergraduate degree program, offered to those students who wish to assist senior-level doctors and physicians.
Some of the best BSc Physician Assistant colleges include the University of Toronto, University of Birmingham, University of Reading, University of London, Brunel University London, Queen Mary University of London etc.
BSc Physician Assistant comes along with a wide range of career opportunities. You can work at hospitals, physicians’ offices, outpatient centres, and nursing homes. You can also become self-employed. The renowned Bureau of Labour Statistics projects jobs for physician assistants to grow by 31% by 2023.
You can become a Physician Assistant in a variety of specializations such as Anesthesia, Cardiology, Dermatology, Emergency medicine, ENT/Otolaryngology, Family medicine, General practice, Internal medicine, Neurology
Obstetrics and gynaecology (OB/GYN)
To increase access to quality health care for the world, the demand for Physician Assistants is rising. If you want to pursue this course abroad but are confused, to begin with, then reach out to Leverage Edu Experts. Our experts will provide you with the necessary guidance and assistance throughout your journey.