Biomedical Engineering is a multidisciplinary field which combines the principles of Engineering and Bioscience to find solutions for health-related and medical issues. The primary objective of a Biomedical Engineer is to identify problematic areas in healthcare and create medical systems, devices and equipment for the same. From developing imaging instruments and artificial organs to designing prosthetics and lab-on-chip devices, Biomedical Engineers have contributed significantly to the contemporary medical industry. If you are curious about the field of Biomedical Engineering and want to build a career in it, here is a comprehensive blog detailing a wide range of Biomedical Engineering jobs available across the globe.
Duties of Biomedical Engineers
Before getting an insight into various Biomedical Engineering jobs, let’s first delve deeper into the duties and responsibilities of a Biomedical Engineer. Research and Development is a key area you can explore in this field along with working in the healthcare and medical sector. Here is a list of various roles carried out by a Biomedical Engineer.
- Conduct relevant research, identify medical problems and develop new medical equipments, devices and techniques.
- Develop artificial internal organs or external parts to help patients cope with disability.
- Evaluate efficiency and safety of medical equipment.
- Provide assistance in installing and repairing biomedical equipment.
- Train the personnel about using systems and equipment.
- Maintain a cordial relation with the manufacturers to sell or buy medical products.
- Interact and work with doctors, surgeons, and other medical professionals to get an insight into the engineering aspects of the biological systems.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in this field.
- Efficiently prepare technical reports, publish research papers and present research outcomes to hospitals, engineers, scientists, doctors etc.
- Design and develop software to test efficacy and potency of new drugs.
Skills & Competencies
To help you understand the demanding nature of Biomedical Medical Engineering jobs, we have listed down various skills and competencies required for those aspiring to build a career in this field:
- Excellent Communication Skills: From interacting with doctors, patients and scientists to presenting their research work to medical professionals, Biomedical Engineers need good communication skills for facilitating knowledgeable and friendly relations with their clients and other practitioners.
- Writing Skills: Biomedical Engineers are required to write test reports and publish research papers on a regular basis. Thus, good writing skills are essential to communicate the information effectively.
- Good Managerial Skills: This is a significant competency required in Biomedical Engineering jobs because such professionals need to work with a multidisciplinary team.
- Analytical Thinking: You should be able to solve complex medical problems with creativity and ease. You should be capable of prioritizing tasks and providing a timely schedule of completion.
Biomedical Engineering Job Profiles
There are plenty of Biomedical Engineering jobs available in the market and here is a complete list of several career opportunities you can explore in this field:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- Bioengineering Researcher
Working in this career profile, you will be conducting research and development in your chosen field of specialization. The primary goal of a Bioengineering Research is to seek information regarding medical products and look for probable solutions for better applicability.
- Rehabilitation Engineer
The primary objective of a Rehabilitation Engineer is to develop systems and devices which can help people cope with cognitive or physical disabilities caused due to some injury or genetic defect.
- Manufacturing Engineer
As the name suggests, Manufacturing Engineers are tasked with designing and developing medical products, instruments, robots, imaging devices and all other relevant medical systems which can improve the overall health of an individual.
- Biomechanical Engineer
These professionals study how bones, tissues, tendons and ligaments work together to help the body move. This career profile is not just limited to study the body motion mechanics but also involves the study of other bodily functions.
- Bio Instrumentation Engineers
This profession encompasses the electronics and computer science principles to develop devices that can be used in diagnosis and treatment of medical issues. Apart from diagnosis, these engineers also devise instruments that measure important biological parameters like heartbeat and breathing rate.
- Quality and Maintenance Engineers
These engineers are responsible for conducting tests and examining the feasibility and efficiency of medical products after manufacturing. Their main goal is to see whether the products match the set standards and specifications.
Some of the other work profiles included in Biomedical Engineering jobs are:
- Bio Nanotechnologist
- Marketing and Advertising Consultants
- Biomaterial and Tissue Engineer
- Clinical Engineer
- Biosignal Processor
- Medical Imaging Engineer
- Neural Engineering
- Orthopaedic Bioengineering
- Teacher or Lecturer in universities or medical colleges
Companies Offering Career Opportunities in Biomedical Engineering
There are various Indian companies that require Biomedical Engineers for handling a plethora of roles and responsibilities. In this section, we will be talking about a wide range of industries and companies that offer Biomedical Engineering jobs to budding researchers.
- Johnson and Johnson
- GE Healthcare
- Philips Healthcare
- Siemens Healthcare
- B. Braun Melsungen
- Toshiba Medical Systems
- Ranbaxy Diagnostics
- Boston Scientific
- 3M Healthcare
- Siemens Healthcare
- Baxter International
- Becton Dickinson
We hope that this blog provided you with major Biomedical Engineering jobs as well as the key responsibilities and roles you will be handling in this field. If you are planning to pursue the field of Biomedical Engineering, our Leverage Edu experts can guide in choosing an ideal course and university that can give you the right knowledge and exposure into this lucrative field.