Do you know that Chemical Engineering is used in making basic things like pen, toothbrush, cosmetic products, paints and what not! Another name used for Chemical Engineers is Universal Engineers as they are responsible for innovating as well as recycling innumerable things that we use in our daily life! Want to become a professional in this field? Check out the best colleges for Chemical Engineering in this blog and take the first step towards your dream career!
Also Read: Chemical Engineering Syllabus
This Blog Includes:
- What is Chemical Engineering?
- Why Opt for Chemical Engineering?
- Top 10 Best Colleges for Chemical Engineering in India
- Top 10 Best Colleges for Chemical Engineering Abroad
- Eligibility Criteria for Chemical Engineering for India
- Eligibility Criteria for Chemical Engineering in Abroad
- Documents Required
- Entrance Exam for Chemical Engineering in India and Abroad
- Job Profiles & Salary Structure
- Top Recruiting Agencies for Chemical Engineers
What is Chemical Engineering?
The process of converting raw material into the final product for use by consumers with the help of operation & design of chemical plants. Chemical engineering is not just restricted to manufacturing or production, chemical engineering is constantly working to better the existing products. There are plenty of sectors where chemical engineering is required, chemical engineering is not just about profit-making or high-end jobs, chemical engineering also helps to save your environment by controlling pollution, recycling products & generating energy.
Why Opt for Chemical Engineering?
- Chemical engineering helps to improve the quality of life, chemical engineers are persistently researching and developing new ideas to manage & end poverty, treat diseases, different ways to save the environment, manage water resources, etc.
- Over the last decade, the jobs for chemical engineers have been booming globally, Chemical engineering remains one of the highest paying jobs globally.
- Chemical engineering pathways don’t have boundaries. If you don’t want to pursue a research job or fieldwork you can choose to work at a big MNC, NGO, food industry, or even for a makeup industry.
Top 10 Best Colleges for Chemical Engineering in India
Selecting a college can be a bit difficult, selecting the best ones from the lot. To make it easy we have listed the top 10 best colleges for Chemical Engineering at bachelor’s & master’s levels.
- Indian Institute of Technology (Bombay)
- Manipal Institute of Technology
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology
- Vellore Institute of Technology
- Delhi Technological University
- Indian Institute of Technology (Chennai)
- Indian Institute of Technology (New Delhi)
- Institute of Chemical Technology
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University
- Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology
Also Read: Chemical Engineering Jobs
Top 10 Best Colleges for Chemical Engineering Abroad
You can also pursue a chemical engineering course from prestigious institutes abroad. Here is the list of the top 10 best colleges for Chemical Engineering abroad:
- University of California Berkeley, USA
- Harvard University, USA
- University of Cambridge, UK
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- Peking University, China
- University of Oxford, UK
- California Institute of Technology, USA.
- Imperial College London, UK
- Stanford University, USA
Also Read: Top Chemical Engineering Colleges
Eligibility Criteria for Chemical Engineering for India
Before applying for any course it is important that the applicant matches himself to the university eligibility criteria. Every university has its own criteria for admission. Some of the common points of eligibility are listed below.
- Candidates should have cleared class 12 from a recognized institution
- Mandatory subjects are mathematics/physics & optional subjects are chemistry/biology/biotechnology
- Candidates have to score 60% in class 12
- The course duration is 4 years & admission is based on merit/ entrance exam
- For students planning to study abroad have to appear for the personal interview round as well.
Post Graduate Level
- Graduation degree in Btech or BE or equivalent degree
- Mandatory subject chemical engineering in any semester
- Candidates must have a score of 50% at their graduation level.
Also Read: Career Options after 12th Science PCM Other than Engineering
Eligibility Criteria for Chemical Engineering in Abroad
If you are planning to study abroad and pursue a degree in Chemical engineering at the undergraduate or postgraduate level, here is the eligibility requirements to be fulfilled by every applicant:
- Cleared class 12th from a recognized board.
- For postgraduate, a degree in the related field is mandatory.
- English language proficiency test scores
- GRE/GMAT scores are required by the universities
- Candidates should have a GPA of 3.0
Also Read: Electrochemical Engineering
Here is the list of documents you will require at the time of the application process:
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores: IELTS, TOFEL
- GMAT/GRE Scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
- Postgraduate applicants have to submit a translation of the degree certificate in case the degree certificate is in another language other than English.
Entrance Exam for Chemical Engineering in India and Abroad
Admission into the best colleges for chemical engineering in India involves the stages that should be fulfilled by candidates. Some universities admit students based on their merit that is followed by an interview round. Every university has different criteria for students, university accepts different entrance exams for admission into Chemical engineering at the Graduate & postgraduate Levels. If you are planning to study abroad you have to appear for GRE. The list of those exams is as follows –
|Exam Name||Exam Full Name||Exam frequency||Exam Mode||Conducting Authority|
|GATE||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering||Annual||Online||IISC and and IIT|
|JEE MAIN||Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main||Twice a year||Online – BE/BTech/BArchBPlanningOffline – Drawing section in BArch||National Testing Agency|
|JEE Advanced||Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Advanced||Annual||Online||IIT|
|VITEEE||Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam||Annual||Computer-based||Vellore Institute of Technology|
|MET||Manipal Entrance Test||Annual||Online||Manipal Academy of Higher Education|
|SRMJEEE||SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Exam||Annual||Online||Institute of Science and Technology|
|GRE||Graduate Record Examinations||Multiple Times||Online||Educational Testing Services|
Also Read: CIPET (Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering and Technology)
Job Profiles & Salary Structure
Chemical engineering has a lot to offer to different sectors & the growth of chemical engineers has been increasing past few years. From food to clothing here are some of the major and most popular job profiles with their annual remuneration.
|Job Profile||Salary Structure (in INR) per annum|
|Manufacturing Production Technician||772486|
Also Read: Ratan Tata Scholarship for Engineering Students
Top Recruiting Agencies for Chemical Engineers
After getting a degree from the best colleges for chemical engineering, students have jobs in various sectors. Chemical Engineers can work in Oil refineries, Biotechnology, Gas and oil extraction, Power generation industries, Pharmaceuticals, Water Treatments, Agrochemical industries, Fibers, and Polymer Industries, and even in Beverage Industries. Here are some of the top recruiters:
- Reliance Industries
- Essar Oil Limited
- Arofine Polymers
- Reliance Petroleum Limited
- L & T
- KD Group of Industries
- Hindustan Lever Ltd
- Tecnimont ICB Ltd
- Asian Paints
Also Read: Best Engineering Colleges
The average rangers from 6,00,000 to 9,00,000.
Some of the well-known & preferred companies by chemical engineers are Nestle, PepsiCo, Amul.
No, the institution only accepts SRMJEEE and JEE main results.
The exam mode of GATE is computer based test i.e. online examination
There are plenty of reference books available in the market & online. Some of the books are GATE Computer Science & Information Technology by GKP, G.K. Pub, A Handbook for Computer Science /IT Engineering by Made easy publications & GATE practice sets by Pearsons.
This was all about chemical engineering & the best colleges for chemical engineering. We hope this blog you in finding the college that is a perfect fit for you. If you have any queries or difficulty in the admission procedure you can get in touch with our Leverage Edu team of counselors & experts. All the best for your future plans! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.