Behind every interactive website, apps and software, there is a team of programmers who work tirelessly to ensure that they function properly and are updated. Programming as a career has seen tremendous growth due to the rise in Information and Technology. A large number of students are seeing it as a career of choice owing to the flexibility in the work environment and high paid jobs. In this blog, we will discuss some of the key aspects related to C programming and Basic C programs.
This Blog Includes:
What is C Programming?
Among all programming languages, C is the most popular one. Being simple and flexible, the C language is machine-independent that works on different computer systems regardless of their components. Being used to write everything from operating systems to complex ones like the Oracle database, Git, Python interpreter and more, C programming has wider applications compared to other languages. Considered as the base of programming language, with Basic C programs being used in various situations, it gives a programmer the basic knowledge of the field and other programming languages. C is called a ‘compiled language’ which means that once you write the program this language, it must be run through a C compiler to turn it into an executable format that is readable to a computer. Being a powerful programming language, it is strongly associated with the UNIX operating system and most of the UNIX operating system is coded in C. Running on various operating systems and other software, C is the most used programming language in the field of Computer Science Engineering.
Why Learn C Programming?
For those who are aspiring to take up programming as their career option, C serves as their stepping stone. Sharing similar concepts such as data types, operators, control statements, etc, the C language is crucial to study other programming languages. Being a structured programming language, the program in C is divided into various modules and each module can be written individually which together forms complex or Basic C programs. The structure makes it easy for testing and maintaining. The language is highly portable which means that it can be run anywhere on any computer regardless of its source.
Understanding Basic C Programs
The best way to understand the programs in C language is to actually start writing them. Taking up one from a number of courses available online, you can master the language in a short span of time, provided you show great zeal in learning. Let’s start with a simple program to understand the compilation process.
- Type the following program into a standard text editor.
- Then save the program to a file named samp.c. to the name of the file.
Here are some of these programs for your understanding:
Example 1: Suppose we have to display a ‘Good Morning’ message on the screen, below are the steps to follow:
Example 2: ‘Good Morning’ Program using ‘Functions’
Example 3: Basic ‘If Else’ condition program
Example 4: Switch Case with ‘break’
You might be aware that languages such as C++ and Java are developed from ‘C’ and these are widely used in various technologies. Thus, this programming language forms a base for many other languages that we currently use.
Take a look at the application of these programs:
- Used in embedded systems
- Used for compiler production
- Used in IOT applications
- Developing system and desktop applications
- Applications by Adobe are majorly developed using C programming language
- Developing browsers and their extension (especially Google’s Chromium)
- Developing databases (popular one if MySQL)
- Developing an operating system such as Apple’s OS X, Microsoft’s Windows and Symbian for desktop as well as mobile phone.
Popular Books – Beginners Guide
If you are a beginner in programming and want to start learning C programs, then choosing a good source is very important. To make it simpler for you, here are some of the best C books that we highly recommend to you:
- Programming with C by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie
- C Primer Plus (6th Edition) by Stephen Prata
- Let Us C by Yashavant Kanetkar
- Data Structure Through C by Yashavant Kanetkar
- C in Depth by Deepali Srivastava and S. K. Srivastava
Bonus: [Read more on Computer Science and Application]
- Computer Courses after 12th Commerce
- Computer Science Subjects
- Diploma in Computer Science
- Diploma in Computer Application
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Application
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Computer Science Subjects
- BSc Computer Science Syllabus
- BSC Computer Science vs BCA
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- MSc Computer Science
- Masters in Computer Science in Australia
- MS in Computer Science in Canada
- MS in Computer Science in Germany
- Master of Computer Applications
- PhD in Computer Science
With the above basic C programs, you can begin your practice. To take your love for coding to the next level, we at Leverage Edu can help you. Our experts will connect you to the professionals from the field to find the right option for you to make a successful career as a programmer.