A fellowship is basically a short-term opportunity which focuses on the candidate’s professional development and is sponsored by specific organizations. There are various institutions all over the world which offer different fellowships to Indian students such as the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships which is offered by the Canadian Government to students pursuing their post-doctoral.
This Blog Includes:
Key Information Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
|Name of the Fellowship||Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Program|
|Fellowship Type||Merit Based|
|Application Deadline||21 September 2022|
|Amount||CAD 70000 (INR 41.93 lacs)|
|Offered By||Canadian Government|
|Scholarship Website link||https://banting.fellowships-bourses.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html|
About Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
Attempting to attract highest level postdoctoral talent both nationally and globally, Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are offered to students committed to Canada’s financial, public and research-based development through a research-intensive career. Here are some highlights of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship:
- 70 fellowships are awarded annually to students all over the world.
- The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are valid for 2 years, which means that a maximum of 140 fellowships are active in a given year.
- The amount given in the fellowship is 70,000 CAD (INR 41.93 lacs)
- The fellowships are offered in the following research categories –
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- The main aim of the fellowship is –
- To attract quality post-doctoral talent
- Develop leadership potential talent in the candidates
- Place them for success as tomorrow’s research leaders
- The candidates can conduct research in any one of the following areas –
- Health Research
- Natural Sciences / Engineering
- Social Sciences / Humanities
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Application Timeline
|Application Process (Initiation to Submission)||April – September 2022|
|Application Submission Deadline||21 September 2022|
|Application Evaluation||October to December 2022|
|Result Declaration||Mid- February 2023|
|Payment Begins||April – October 2023|
Eligibility Criteria for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
Candidates need to meet the following requirements to be eligible for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship:
- The candidate must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or an international student
- The host institution must be located in Canada
- The candidate must fulfil all requirements for a Ph.D. or an equivalent Health professional degree.
- The candidate must have completed the degree between September 15, 2019 and September 30, 2023 (inclusively).
- The following host institutions will be eligible for the fellowship –
- Canadian Universities
- Foreign Universities
- Related hospitals, universities and non-profit organizations for study
- In certain cases, the qualifying window can be prolonged for a period of 2 years, such as parental leave, sickness, family duties related to health, compulsory military service, and disturbances in the applicant’s area of residence due to war, civil wars, and natural disasters.
- A limit of one application per year can be submitted by applicants.
- If he or she holds a prior Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, the applicant will be deemed disqualified.
- Applications that do not meet any of the requirements for eligibility will be considered disqualified. This fellowship is not intended for the completion of a degree by students (including health professionals).
Application Process for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
Before starting the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships application process, applicants are advised to carefully read the Application Guide. The applicant needs to go through the following steps to apply:
- Confirm Eligibility
- The candidate must ensure that they fulfil all the requirements of the fellowship
- Contact the host institution
- The institution must be eligible
- The candidate must confirm the eligibility of the institution
- The institution will give the candidates two documents which they will have to include in ResearchNet.
- Register for Canadian Common CV (CCV) and ResearchNet accounts
- Create CCV (Vanier-Banting academic template) and link to ResearchNet
- Start the application
- Identify the area of research
- Enter all details about the candidate and attach all the necessary documents
- The candidate has to submit the assessments of three referees
- Provide all the details related to the degree
- Provide all information related to the proposal and attach supporting documents
- Review the application and documents
- Consent the application and submit it, on successful submission, the candidate will receive a mail.
- Lastly, ensure that all the documents meet the requirements and standards.
- Selection process for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship
- All the qualifying applications for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships go through the selection committee’s review process. First of all, the requests are sorted and sent to the federal granting agencies concerned.
- Health research proposals will be submitted to the (CIHR) Selection Committee
- Natural sciences and/or engineering-related applications to the (NSERC) selection committee
- Social sciences and/or humanities applications will be submitted to the (SSHRC) selection committee.
- The selection of a candidate is based on three selection criteria which are equally weighted:
- The research excellence of the applicant based on previous records showed research contribution in its respective field to the target groups and leadership qualities.
- If successfully completed, the efficiency and potential of the applicant’s proposed research projects and the effect on society are likely to be attributed to the research programme.
- The research-oriented climate of the host institution and its relationship with the applicant
- The Vanier-Banting Secretariat shall, following approval by the selection committee, inform the applicants of the results in February. The respective ResearchNet account is posted with a decision letter.
What are the differences between University education and College education in Canada?
Usually, a Canadian university offers degrees only, whereas a college in Canada offers a combination of degrees, diplomas, post-graduate diplomas and certificates. The number of degree programs can be limited to their focus area.
How many academic backlogs (maximum numbers) are accepted by Canadian institutions ?
Maximum number of backlogs accepted varies depending on the individual criteria of Canadian institution. Generally, Canadian colleges accept 6-8 backlogs.
Are Distance Learning Programs accepted in Canada?
Distance Learning is acceptable in Canada by few institutions which are listed below: Thompson Rivers University, Vancouver Island University, Conestoga College, Fanshawe College, Canadore College, George Brown College
This fellowship is an excellent opportunity for students to grow professionally as well as personally. It will provide candidates with ample opportunities to learn and research. We hope we have cleared all your doubts regarding the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, for any other information on different fellowships. Want to know more about ways to study in Canada? Reach out to Leverage Edu experts! Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.