The Bachelor of Library and Information Science is a 1-year undergrad course where students are taught the various aspects of library science. Subjects such as the management, maintenance, and preservation of educational sources of information along with information technology. The admission process for this course varies as per different universities. While some universities allow candidates with direct admission based on their marks, others conduct entrance examinations. Students have an option to study the course in a full-time or part-time format. This blog provides you with all the information about the Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLibISc) course.
|Course Name||Bachelor of Library and Information Science|
|Eligibility||Bachelor degree with 50% marks|
|Admission Process||Direct Admission + Entrance Test|
|Average Salary||INR 2 – 6 LPA|
|Job Positions||Law Librarian, Deputy Librarian, Library Assistant, etc|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Government offices, government libraries, private sectors, educational institutes, etc|
Here’s a list of 20 Largest College Libraries in the World
This Blog Includes:
- About Bachelor of Library and Information Science
- Eligibility Requirements for Bachelor of Library and Information Science
- Required Skills
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science Syllabus
- Popular Universities Abroad
- Popular Universities in India
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science Distance Education
- Job Prospects and Salary
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science Future Scope
About Bachelor of Library and Information Science
The Bachelor of Library and Information Science is a degree that helps meet the demand for human resources in the field of library and information activities. These individuals occupy various positions in libraries, documentation centres, and information centres. Over the years, the demand for skills and requirements for the course have revolutionised. As a result, the course was revised as well. It is a 1-2 years long course. Students may pursue it part-time or full-time. Candidates can also choose to specialize in a particular subject area such as French, Spanish, etc.
Eligibility Requirements for Bachelor of Library and Information Science
Although the eligibility criteria to pursue the Bachelor of Library and Information Science course varies from university to university, given below is a general eligibility criterion for aspirants to refer to in order to pursue this course:
- The candidate must have graduated from a recognised university with a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Candidates must have received a minimum of 50-55% in their undergraduate.
- Candidates must also meet the admission requirements for the college to which they wish to apply.
- Some colleges and universities have their own entrance exams that applicants must pass.
- If you want to study abroad, you’ll need to take an English proficiency test like the IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE.
Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria, aspirants are also required to have the following document checklist while applying for the Bachelor of Library and Information Science course:
A person who wants to pursue the Bachelor of Library and Information Science course must contain the following skills to be successful in the field:
- Research Skills
- Analytical Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Administrative Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Eye for Detail
Bachelor of Library and Information Science Syllabus
The syllabus of the BLibISc is very unique and accommodates subject areas from various fields. It is shown below:
|Foundations of Library & Information Science||Management of Libraries & Information Centers/ Institutions|
|Library Classification (Theory)||Library Cataloguing (Theory)|
|Library Classification Practice||Library Cataloguing Practice|
|Knowledge Organization and Information Retrieval (Theory)||Knowledge Organization Practice|
|Information Processing and Retrieval||IT Applications in Libraries (Theory)|
|Information Sources||Information Users, Systems, and Services|
|Library & Information Technology: Theory||Library and Information Technology: Practice|
Popular Universities Abroad
There are a number of different universities which offer the BLibISc degree or courses similar to this course abroad. Some of the highly renowned universities are listed below:
|University of Sussex||UK|
|University of Tasmania||Australia|
|University of Glasgow||UK|
|University of Sheffield||UK|
|St. John’s University||USA|
|Montana State University||USA|
|North Seattle College||USA|
Popular Universities in India
After getting familiar with popular universities abroad for the Bachelor of Library and Information Science course, here is another list of Indian universities that aspirants can refer to:
|Delhi Technological University||New Delhi|
|Jai Hind College||Mumbai|
|Delhi School of Economics||New Delhi|
|Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce||Pune|
|Shri Ram College of Commerce||New Delhi|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh|
|Rabindranath Tagore University||Raisen|
Here’s where you can find some of the best Library Science Colleges in India 2021!
Bachelor of Library and Information Science Distance Education
Some of India’s leading open universities also offer a Bachelor of Library and Information Science programme. In this course, distance education allows the candidate maximum flexibility. They will be able to continue their education while working. The following are some of the distant education universities that are offering BLibISc courses:
- IGNOU, New Delhi
- LPU, Phagwara
- Annamalai University, Chennai
- Karnataka State Open University, Mysore
Job Prospects and Salary
With the Bachelor of Library and Information Sciences under your belt, you can get employment opportunities at news agencies, public/private libraries, photo/film libraries, universities, and other academic institutions, foreign embassies, museums, radio stations, etc. Following are some of the job profiles which are popular amongst students pursuing BLibISc:
- Library Information Officer: The tasks of a Library Information manager include making information easily accessible to others. Working with electronic information such as content management systems, online databases, digital resources, and library materials is what these professionals typically handle.
- Library Assistant: A person who lends and collects the videotapes, periodicals, books, etc, and updates the record of customers on the computer is a library assistant.
- Librarian: A librarian’s daily tasks include organizing library resources so that the informational materials are easily accessible.
- Library Media Specialist: A library media specialist is a professional who usually works in schools to provide assistance to students and teachers in finding research material of any kind.
- Cataloguer: Management of the catalogue materials at libraries is the work of a cataloguer.
- Lecturer: Candidates who have a keen understanding of particular subject areas may also become a lecturer in schools or universities.
- Indexer: The job of an indexer is to review various documents and compile indexes to make access to information easier. A variety of documents such as books, periodicals, manuscripts, reports, websites, DVDs, literature, etc. are the typical documents an indexer works with.
The average salary of a graduate from the Bachelor of Library and Information Science is between INR 2.5 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum. This salary, however, is just starting salary and increases over time depending on the niche industry you choose to enter. The salary trends for all the mentioned jobs have been rising rapidly over the years and with the rising digitization of libraries, this is only going to continue to grow in the coming time.
Bachelor of Library and Information Science Future Scope
Students with a Bachelor of Library and Information Science degree can work in both the public and private sectors. Candidates may also work in educational institutes as librarians. After completing their Bachelor of Library and Information Science degree, individuals can also appear for civil service exams. There are also a number of private offices that hire Bachelor of Library and Information Science students. Working at such companies might provide students with very attractive pay. Graduates have the option of continuing their education. They might pursue a master’s degree in library science after that. After completing the course, candidates can pursue a master’s degree in Library and Information Science, MLibISc. Candidates who complete the course may be able to work as information architects or in government libraries. After completing the degree, students can pursue a career as a writer.
Here are some Free Online Libraries You Should Know About!
This was all the information which you would need to know about the Bachelor of Library and Information Science course. Choosing the best university abroad for yourself can be a very worrisome task especially after you have just finished a Bachelor’s degree. The experts at Leverage Edu are here to help you! The ideal courses and assistance with respect to your entire course application will be provided to you. Call us at 1800572000 and book your free session with us today!