Established in 1885, Arizona State University (ASU) is considered one of the most prestigious universities in the United States of America. Ranked 62 by the QS global world rankings, ASU is a renowned research university offering more than 250 major and 100 graduate programs. It is also one of the booming research enterprises in the US, spending more than 660 million USD in research and producing lead innovations in various fields. Having more than 500,000 alumni in various fields around the world, ASU has a noteworthy list of personalities who are distinguished in their fields. If you are intrigued to know more about them, stick to the article then as we name a few.
Must Read: Arizona State University Acceptance Rate
This Blog Includes:
Arizona State University
Arizona State University, located in Arizona, USA, is a renowned research university that has been ranked #1 by US News and World Report, 2021 in the most innovative schools list. ASU was founded by the Thirteenth Territorial Legislature to initially provide education in agricultural and mechanical arts. However, the University diversified in its education field and now houses numerous schools, colleges, and institutes.
ASU has a total of five campuses spread across the Phoenix which are the Downtown Phoenix campus, Tempe Campus, West Campus, Polytechnic campus, and the Thunderbird campus. The university offers several online and certificate programs, undergraduate and graduate degree programs on a wide array of subjects. Arizona State University receives students from more than 136 countries each year and houses over 119,500 students across its campuses and 4700 faculty members, on average.
Top 10 Famous Notable Alumni of Arizona State University
- Sidney Altman: Received the Nobel Prize in 1989 in Chemistry with Thomas R. Cech and is now professor at the school of Life Sciences
- Leland Hartwell: He is the 2001 Nobel Prize winner in Physiology or Medicine
- Elinor Ostrom: She is the first woman to receive the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Science
- Edward Prescott: 2004 Nobel Prize winner in Economic Sciences
- Frank Wilczek: He is the Nobel Prize winner in 2004 in Physics and is now the professor in the Department of Physics
- Barry Bonds: professional baseball player who has played 22 seasons in Major League Baseball and has won seven NL MVP awards, 12 Silver Slugger awards, 8 Gold Glove Awards, and 14 All-Star selections.
- Phil Mickelson: American professional golfer who has won 44 major events including 3 Master titles and an Open Championship
- Ryan Bader: MMA fighter and the winner of The Ultimate Winner 8. He is also the current Bellator MMA light Heavyweight Champion
- Ronal Brown: won the gold medal in the 4x 400 track relay event of the 1984 summer Olympics
- Nick Hysong: won a gold medal in the pole vault event of the 2000 Summer Olympics.
- Amy LePeilbet: She won the gold medal in the 2012 Summer Olympics for the United States Women’s National Soccer
- Jan Henne-Hawkins: Eight-time US Record holder, two-times Olympic gold medal winner, and is also part of the International Swimming Hall of Fame
- Matthew Desmond: Associate professor of Sociology and social studies at Harvard
- Mary Lou Fulton: Philanthropist, educator, and namesake of ASU’s Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College
- Mary Temple Grandin: Animal behavior expert, author, and Autism Spokesperson
- Vada Manager: a member of ASU Board of Trustees, advisor to Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, and the PGA Tour
- Anthony Robles: NCAA wrestling champion, ESPN analyst, and ESPY award recipient
- Harriet Nembhard: won the award of Clinical and Translational Science Award for her outstanding contribution to the treatment of Parkinson’s disease
Arts and Entertainment
- Jimmy Kimmel: comedian, actor, and TV host
- John Hughes: film director who has directed some of the popular comedic films in the 1980s and early 1990s
- David Spade: He is an American actor, writer, stand-up comedian, and television personality.
- Maysoon Zaid: Despite suffering from cerebral palsy, she is a successful American comedian and actor.
- Linda Ronstadt: Grammy and Emmy-winning songwriter and singer
- Kate Spade: businesswoman and an award-winning fashion designer
- Michael R. Burns: vice chairman of Lionsgate Entertainment Corp
- Ioanna Morfessis: founding president and CEO of Phoenix Economic Growth Cooperation and also helped in launching the nation’s first one-stop business assistance center for small business enterprises
- Derrick Hall: president of Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Malissia Clinton: General counsel and secretary and senior Vice President of Aerospace
- Aaron Matos: founder of recruiting.com and CEO and founder of jobing.com
News, Journalism, and Broadcasting
- Christine Devine: Winner of 16 Emmys and is Los Angeles based news anchor
- Gregory Haile: Former editor-in-chief of National Black Law Journal and also has taught at Columbia and Harvard University School of Law
- AI Michaels: was awarded the Cronkite Award for Excellence in Journalism and is also the five-time Emmy Award and a sportscaster
Law and Politics
- Harriet C. Babbitt: former First lady of Arizona, former Deputy Administrator, and also held the position of Vice-Chair at World Resource Institute
- Betsey Bayless and Ken Bennett: former Arizona Secretary of State
- Doug Doucey: former president and CEO of Coldstone Creamery, Arizona State Treasurer, and currently is the Governor of Arizona
- Tena Campbell: Chief judge of US District Court for the District of Utah
- Barbara Barrett: former US Ambassador to Finland, diplomat, philanthropist, and businesswoman
- Ed Pastor: US Congressmen representing Arizona’s 2nd, 4th and 7th districts in Quarter-century service on Capitol Hill
- Krysten Sinema: She is the senior US senator for Arizona
- Maj. Gen. William P. Acker: retired major general of US air Force and former commander of 3rd Air Force
- Margaret H. Woodward: decorated Air force major general and is also the recipient of 14 military awards
- Gen. John L. Piotrowski: four-star general of US Air Force who has also served as Vice Chief of Staff from 1985-1987
- Rick Romley: retiree of US Marine Corps who was also elected as Maricopa County Attorney in 1989
- Eldon Rudd: retiree of US Marine Corps who also served 20 years in FBI and as a fighter pilot during the World War II
- Daniel Yoo: He is the commander of MARSOC
Now there you go, hopefully, our article was able to shed some light on some of the notable alumni of esteemed Arizona State University. For more educational inquiries, visit the Leverage Edu website to get an expert opinion on various universities and courses.